Help! Urinating Cat - Not Sick

Tabathaatkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CAT friends! Help, cat peeing outside the litter box and all over my house l :-(, specifally my couch, however has been tested and nothing wrong, obv an attitude, how do we turn this around? I'm at my wits end!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is,this an old cat, a young cat? Did the pee problem start recently or is it longstanding. Any changes to your household like adding a new pet?

ghostly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Remember all the while that cats do not do anything because they're angry with you, being spiteful, or in a bad mood!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabathaatkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is,this an old cat, a young cat? Did the pee problem start recently or is it longstanding. Any changes to your household like adding a new pet?
Hi there, 4 yr old. No changes
Hi Susan,

No, he's a young cat 4 years. It started about 5 months ago, I travelled a lot that month for work. No new pets, all the same friends for him. Lol. I've tired extra love, special treats, feline-away, the calming spray. Vet visits- I have 4 litter boxes for 2 cats as well.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet culture his urine or just do a urinalysis? If there was no culture, then I'd get him back to the vet for that.

Stress triggers all kinds of things in kitties. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a lingering infection or something like that. Have you changed litter brands? Are you cleaning his box frequently. I have a male cat that pees outside the box if the box isn't fresh and unused. (Weirdo!)

Tabathaatkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the vet culture his urine or just do a urinalysis? If there was no culture, then I'd get him back to the vet for that.

Stress triggers all kinds of things in kitties. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a lingering infection or something like that. Have you changed litter brands? Are you cleaning his box frequently. I have a male cat that pees outside the box if the box isn't fresh and unused. (Weirdo!)
Hey there,

They actually did both urine and blood work, both came back negative. He spent two nights there(lol). Yes, I've been cleaning them daily! No, I thought of that too, no changes in litter, food etc. All the same. Lol.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Cat Attract litter? What kind of boxes are you using? Are the boxes in high traffic areas or out of the way? Be sure you're cleaning the spots with enzymatic cleaner.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he getting wet food every day? What brand of litter are you using, is it highly scented? Is the litter box big enough, jumbo size? Does it have a cover on it?

Tabathaatkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried Cat Attract litter? What kind of boxes are you using? Are the boxes in high traffic areas or out of the way? Be sure you're cleaning the spots with enzymatic cleaner.
Attract litter? Where do you find that? Is it available in Canada? Yes, I used Urine Destroyer and then Nok Out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look up Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. I'm not sure it's available in Canada, but I bet it is. What kind of litter boxes are you using?

Tabathaatkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he getting wet food every day? What brand of litter are you using, is it highly scented? Is the litter box big enough, jumbo size? Does it have a cover on it?
Hey Maggie,

I'm using the larger ones not covered, 4 of them for 2 cats. Not high traffic, in basement, quiet area not much action down there. No, I'm using the low scented one. I haven't changed the litter brand.

Tabathaatkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Maggie,

I'm using the larger ones not covered, 4 of them for 2 cats. Not high traffic, in basement, quiet area not much action down there. No, I'm using the low scented one. I haven't changed the litter brand.
Sorry, no I've been giving them wet food approx 3 times a week.

Tabathaatkinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look up Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. I'm not sure it's available in Canada, but I bet it is. What kind of litter boxes are you using?
I'll def do that! Uncovered, large ones. 4 of them.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he's a young cat 4 years. It started about 5 months ago, I travelled a lot that month for work.
I expect that if he was accustomed to having you home more often, the increase in travel was the triggering event. Many years ago I had a cat who would pee in my favorite chair if I was gone as short a time as one overnight trip. Since all of his tests came back clear, this is probably a matter of him marking your things as his territory. I'm sure you are cleaning, but you're going to have to get every last bit of that urine odor out of everything he has peed on. That's easier said than done...especially if he keeps re-wetting things.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are all 4 litter boxes in the basement? Can you move at least one litter box upstairs somewhere? Sometmes cats just decide that they don't want to trek all the way downstairs to use the litter box :dunno: Or maybe one day they got spooked by an unexpected noise like the furnance turning on or off.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking the same thing, bring one of those litter boxes upstairs, sometimes cats get busy and don't want to go all the way downstairs or upstairs. And the basement noises sometimes scare my cats, like the hot water heater, furnace, etc.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And can you up their wet cat food to at least 3oz each per day? Male cats need the moisture to keep their urine coming out smoothly, so it doesn't burn or sting or even block. They sometimes go outside the litter box if it hurts to pee.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure that you are cleaning the places he is urinating with an enzyme based cleaner like Nature's Miracle. The sofa would really need to be soaked in it. You can use a black light to see if you have missed spots. Then, if he were my cat I would confine him to a single room with a couple of litter boxes in it until he is using them consistently. You can let him put to play with you and when you are closely watching him.