Help! Super fussy bottle babies

lauraloulouie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering 2-week old kittens and I just CANNOT get them to take the bottle with any regularity. Sometimes they will latch right away and settle down, but most of the time they scrabble madly, try to climb onto the bottle, bite the nipple, cry loudly, etc. — basically, they do everything but suckle. I have tried everything I can think of and have read about — swaddling them, feeding them in their nest, stroking their heads, making a little tent over their heads with a blanket, gently covering the eyes with my finger... I have tried just about every nipple as well and we seem to have the most success with a miracle nipple, although even that is hit or miss. I have checked milk temp and the formula does not seem to be coming out too fast or too slow... I've tried feeding them smaller meals more frequently and I have tried stretching it out a little so they're hungrier... nothing works. They continue to be mad as hell every time I try to feed them.

They are gaining weight and otherwise in good health, so I seem to be getting enough formula in them in spite of this, but it's frustrating and I'm sitting with them for 45 minutes every time they need a feeding.

Any advice???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried rolling up a bath towel, holding the bottle on top with the nipple tilted slightly downward, then letting the kitten suckle while kneading the towel with its paws as though it was its mother’s tummy?

I also think whatever you try needs to be done consistently at every feeding for a full day or more to allow time for the kittens to adapt to it.

Otherwise, you’ve mentioned everything I would suggest, so I think you’ll just have to live through this phase and try to relax and not let the frustration get to you.

Thanks for fostering! We’d love to see pictures. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauraloulouie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have :( But the tip on consistency is good, maybe I've been bouncing around too much and confusing them.

Despite the feeding issues they are the sweetest and cutest, they are part of a litter that was found tied up in a bag in the gutter so the fact that they're so healthy is wonderful.

IMG-2056.JPG IMG-2138.JPG IMG-2183.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're using a Miracle nipple...As I understand it, there are two sizes, if that helps?

Last edited: