Help! Strange Crying Meow!

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Earlier I posted about the problems toilet training my new 6-7 week old kitten, and got some excellent feedback..

But over the last 2-3 at an increasing rate he will say come to us on the couch and crawl up out chest with massive amounts of affection purring, pushing his head into us everywhere but give repeated monotone long crying meows... Its as if he's in pain or needs something and its really quite stressing us out!

We've tried everything such as needing litter tray, food, water, heating/cooling but he doesn't seem to need any of those while doing this.. and it's getting worse in terms of frequency, he's been on my chest giving me the saddest meows and rubbing his face all over mine purring for the last half an hour and it makes me worry so much for him!!!

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he dewormed? Purring is not always sign of affection, it's also how cats heal themselves. I think your guess is right that he might be in pain, if it's increasing please goto the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No he isn't dewormed, I'm literally just about to give him his first dewormer..

I know purring isn't always a sign of happiness, but it's accompanied by so much affection in other ways it really is confusing me.. Outside of while he's actually crying he shows no signs of pain or sickness.. But thank you I hadn't thought of something like that... I hoping for my poor little boy it's not anything upsetting him or affecting his health.. It upsets me watching him cry like that

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
=/ I have a kitten about his age & he scared me a few times already with health issues so I understand. My experience is really limited to my kitten, he never meows other than to tell me something is wrong or he doesn't like something. Worms are pretty common so my first guess would be on that, but since you're already giving him the dewormer you can know for sure if you see worms in his first after-poo. Also be careful yourself not to get worms before you know he's clear.

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've wormed him now, which I needed to anyway but aside from the cry he doesn't seem to show any symptoms of worms from what I've read quickly?

So worms would pass that quickly in his poo to be visible within 24 hours of worming if he does have them?

Thanks for the advice.. Just stresses me out so much seeing the little guy crying like that while being so incredibly affectionate.. If only he could just tell me what was wrong with words!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that he is simply telling you how much he loves you. A cat seriously into being pettedwill often meow during it, sometimes with a strange purr meow sound or a howl that sounds like a female cat in heat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure how soon, but I think very soon, you'd be seeing the results of the dewormer. So you've taken care of the medical side of this, and is he still hollering? What breed of cat is this little talker, do you know? If there's even a drop of Siamese (and a couple other breeds as well) in his genetic makeup you might as well resign yourself to a few years of high-decibel, very sincere and completely serious not-just-sentences-but-in-complete-paragraphs feline yakking ;).
By the way, you (both of you) may want to try and not react other than with a happy voice and not one bit of worry-stress on your part. He's able to pick up on that ,and his meowing might very well be sort of feeding off of your emotion.

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh well I'm definitely hoping it is that! He is a very very affectionate little boy, the runt of the litter who has taken to us very quickly and is constantly sleeping with us, and doesn't really like being more than a meter or two away from us at anytime..

In terms of the worming, it was just time for him to have his first ever round of treatment, it wasn't due to a vet visit diagnosing worms.. Just coincidence the possibility of worms was suggested about the meowing as I was due to treat him. I gave him the worming treatment about 10 hours ago, so haven't really had time to see if he will continue with the talking.. My time in Australia is 8:22am and he normally starts few hours after we get home from work, so talking is at about 7-8pm

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I doubt there is any Siamese or pedigree breads in him.. He's just a mixed breed that was being given away in a classifieds website

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
ah, I see. What a sweetie!! Thank you for taking him in! lol, you know, there's no telling what interesting feline DNA might be in that little fellow.

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh no need to thank us, my wife and I have both grown up with lots of cats and adore them.. If we could have taken the whole litter and fit them in our house we would have!.. Will just see how he goes I guess.. We don't get upset when he is crying, we just give him lots of cuddles but it is always a bit concerning thinking he might be in pain or anything like that! Fingers crossed he is just very vocal about a good round of pushing heads and and cuddles

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So worms would pass that quickly in his poo to be visible within 24 hours of worming if he does have them?
Might depend on medication, but I think so - my vet asked me if there were any worms in his poo after 2 days, this thread also seems to see worms the next day after deworming.

Hopefully he is just vocal, but in any case if he is happy the rest of the time, eating / pooing ok, eyes are healthy - I don't think there would be something serious going on. Keep us updated please =)

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well just got home from work and lil man did a poo for me and we have worms.. So that's a plus that they are being expelled, and the treatment worked.. He's still wandering between my wife and I for the past half an hour affectionate as still giving the little cry but not so loud or desperately.. So will just have to see if its linked to the worms.. I'm assuming after 48 hours or so any that were there would have been expelled?

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions and support everyone

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming after 48 hours or so any that were there would have been expelled?
I really can't advice much further on worms, since I basically do what the vet says - but he did mention giving another procedure in a week - I think the adult worms do get killed off from first deworming, but their offspring needs to be killed later with secondary procedure - but that's just a guess on my part.

It's really good news that it's only worms, they are easy to treat, but please do check yourself - if you've been rubbing all this time it's worth making sure you are clear too.

I'm so glad & positive he will get better!

Anquish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks heaps for all the advice every of :) second poop today and got another clump of 5-6 inch to 2-3 inch long worms expelled with it so obviously working.. Would anyone have any idea how soon I should retreat him to make sure any eggs are killed etc?

I'm using Purina Totalcare Allwormer Paste Allwormer Paste for Cats | Total Care and the pack has standard dosing regime for a kitten his age for prevention, but only mention of redosing is "product may be reapplied after 10 days for serious worm infection"

Again, thank you heaps everyone and thank you from this little boy

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
De-worming is usually repeated after 3 weeks but I think if he's still passing worms that it qualifies as a "severe infestation" and repeating it in 10 days wouldn't hurt :barfgreen:.

Some cats are just chatty. It's hard to tell what their motivation is sometimes. He could be complaining about his tummy, or he could just be talking.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby, if he had so much worms it would definitely cause him some pain. Iv
second poop today and got another clump of 5-6 inch to 2-3 inch long worms expelled with it so obviously working.. Would anyone have any idea how soon I should retreat him to make sure any eggs are killed etc?
Poor baby, with so much worms he would feel bad. He will definitely feel much better now!

My kitten was dewormed 8 days ago, will let you know when the vet suggests second deworming, guess you're clear for at least 10 days as it says on the packaging. On the side note - I just found out from google that kittens up until 4 months need to be dewormed every 2 weeks - if that's true I guess deworming him that often would really leave no chance for any worms to survive.

P.S. he is shoo cute! <3