Help Starting Home Cooked Rabbit

Bliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl is allergic/sensitive to chicken, fish, pork and/or grains so I'm starting with rabbit in hopes that goes well.

Vet wanted RC rabbit but that has fish oil in it and at this point I'm also concerned about preservatives.

What's the best and easiest way to get her started? Please and thanks. Would love to get her off her commercial food as soon as possible.

Also any recommendations on freeze dried rabbit treats? Could I make my own? She's used to chicken PureBites and loves them.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think krill oil might be an alternative to fish oil. Fish oil is in just about every cat food I've come across. I make mine with whole ground rabbit that's been skinned and the stomach and intestines removed, then you cut it with some boneless meat to lower the overall bone ratio, so I'm using turkey. Then it's vitamins B, E, lite salt, taurine, and fish oil. The salt is a source of iodine. If your rabbit included the thyroid gland you end up using less salt, but salt is still to be included.
If you don't want to make it and have a local specialty pet shop you can probably find Rad Cat Cat Raw Food Diet | All Natural Cat Food | Premium Cat Food
They have different proteins besides chicken, and not all of them have a fish oil.
freeze dried rabbit treats freeze dried rabbit - Cat - Free Shipping at Chewy.com
And my boys actually like the freeze dried blue and green lipped mussels from Honest Kitchen. Those shouldn't count as fish.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's info on high grade fish oil. You want an oil with micronized distillation (not chemical distillation) to remove impurities. This is the one I use. My cat is allergic to fish. The distillation removes the proteins that cause allergic reactions. More info and options are below in the thread. Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 8.75oz
Molecular Distillation Of Anchovy And Sardine Oil? Is There D In It?

Please note on the krill that the vitamins are still in it after distillation so someone would need to advise on avoiding excess amounts. Since A&D in krill can build up in their bodies If fed excess sometime else would need to advise how often is safe.
For Those Of You Using Krill Oil

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat can be allergic to chicken or all poultry. Mine is allergic to fish and thinking poultry.

I use whole carcass rabbit fine grind from hare today so I mix in my own nutrients. I don't have any premade available near me.

I let it be icy when I mix it. I mix in the supplement mix. It looks like mixing meatloaf. Then i put the meat in ice cube trays.put in freezer overnight. I then double bag in ziplocks. I do 2 months at a time.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is severely allergic to chicken. He is fine with turkey and cornish hen, so you may want to try a little bit of one of those at some point.

I don't know of freeze-dried rabbit treats. I buy Merrick freeze-dried lamb lung, and it does not cause a reaction.

My girl is allergic/sensitive to chicken, fish, pork and/or grains so I'm starting with rabbit in hopes that goes well.

Vet wanted RC rabbit but that has fish oil in it and at this point I'm also concerned about preservatives.

What's the best and easiest way to get her started? Please and thanks. Would love to get her off her commercial food as soon as possible.

Also any recommendations on freeze dried rabbit treats? Could I make my own? She's used to chicken PureBites and loves them.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about trying Nature's Variety Instinct raw boost mixers rabbit formula for treats? They have rabbit and pork in them. I use them as toppers on wet food for my fussy cat. They're freeze dried like the Pure Bites.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make your own. A small home freeze-drier appliance costs around $2000. You could get a home dehydrator instead for $150-$200.