Molecular Distillation Of Anchovy And Sardine Oil? Is There D In It?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm trying Iceland Pure Anchovy and sardine oil for kitty. This is all I can find.

Guaranteed Analysis Per Teaspoon: Total Fat - 4.7 g Saturated Fat -0.14 g DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) (min) - 498 mg EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) (min) - 727 mg Omega -3 Fatty Acids (max.) - 1,296 mg Omega-6 Fatty Acids (max) - 58 mg Vitamin E - 1,050 ppm Crude Fat - 99.9% Crude Protein - 0% Moisture - 0.0%

So do they not test for vitamin D or is it removed during the molecular distillaton?

I've also seen in the creation of fish oil the following statement which I'm unsure if it's true. "The vitamins are stripped out of the oil by the molecular distillation process, leaving only the EPA and DHA. Fish Oil has no vitamins – that’s one of the main differences between fish oil and cod liver oil."

I'm not going to use cod liver oil but the only fish oil I can try has to be molecularly distilled in order to ensure no fish proteins are included in the oil since my cat is allergic to fish.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use this product, but I have no idea about the vitamin D. Perhaps the info is on their website, or you might email them with your questions.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Praise of the Humble Anchovy

They are touting high levels of vitamins, in addition to Omega-3's:
"Anchovies are also a great source of other essential nutrients like B Vitamins and Vitamins D, E and K."

Since anchovies and sardines are in the same "oily fish" category as salmon, I would think the Vitamin D would be ample.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are different ways of processing oils. Molecular distillation can remove all toxic items in fish. For those with pets with allergies it filters out fish proteins that may cause an allergic reaction in your cat if allergic to fish. It seems there are different ways of molecular distillation. Some remove the vitamins and some don't. So I'm going to include info I find.

From Nortic Naturals:
When we purify out the pollutants from the fish oil we loose all minerals and naturally occurring vitamins. It is unfortunate but our primary commitment is the to the safety of our fish oil products and maintaining the 2 essential nutrients – DHA and EPA. Since DHA and EPA are the nutrients most people in America don't get nearly enough off, those are our focus.

We do offer many of our fish oil products with added vitamin D3. The vitamin D3 we use is derived from sheep's wool. We cannot reclaim the lost vitamins from the fish oil since they are mixed in with the pollutants we've removed.

Iceland Pure in the Green metal bottles:
No Vitamin D on any of my oils

Iceland health bottles:
Maximum Strength Omega 3 does not contain any vitamin D. It contains Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, EPA, DHA, and Fish Oil.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, that's interesting. The "Iceland Pure" is different than the "Iceland Health" that I linked, I take it? So confusing, since you're cat has the fish allergy! I'm glad you are doing such thorough research on this.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Iceland pure: they have salmon and anchovy and sardine. Here's the one I'm trying.
Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 8.75oz
Iceland health: Maximum Strength Omega 3 does not contain any vitamin D. It contains Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, EPA, DHA, and Fish Oil.
Iceland Health Maximum Strength Omega-3 - 1000mg Fish Oil - 500mg EPA-DHA Omega-3s - 30 Softgels

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Information on molecular distillation via Nortic Naturals:
33. HOW IS THE MERCURY (AND OTHER TOXINS) REMOVED FROM THE FISH OIL?

Molecular distillation removes impurities (heavy metals, dioxins, etc.), saturated fats, and other undesirable organic compounds. Molecular distillation is gentle with exceptionally low heat residence time and is performed in a vacuum to further reduce heat requirement. All time and temperature specifications are proprietary, but we can assure you that no trans fats are created during any of our distillation processes. Any potential impurities and saturated fats are distilled out of the oil, leaving only the key beneficial components of the fish oil. Flash distillation accomplishes the same thing as molecular distillation, but utilises steam rather than a vacuum. Which process is used depends on the intended concentration of the fish oil. Molecular distillation is used for our concentrated fish oils and for our Arctic Cod Liver Oil. Flash distillation is used for our non–concentrated fish oils. Independent lab results consistently show that these patented processing techniques deliver oils of exceptional quality and freshness. Certificates of Analysis are available upon request.

34. DOES NORDIC NATURALS’ MANUFACTURING PROCESS DAMAGE THE FISH OIL OR REMOVE BENEFICIAL COMPOUNDS? DOES IT USE HIGH HEAT?

Molecular distillation (used for our concentrated fish oils and for our Arctic Cod Liver Oil) removes environmental toxins (like mercury and other heavy metals, dioxins, etc), saturated fats, and other undesirable organic compounds, leaving behind only the key beneficial components of the fish oil. It is a gentle distillation process with exceptionally low heat residence time, and is performed in a vacuum to further reduce the heat requirement. Flash distillation (used for our non–concentrated fish oils) accomplishes the same thing as molecular distillation, but utilises steam rather than a vacuum.

All fish oil‚ regardless of the kind of manufacturing process used‚ needs to be processed in order to remove contaminants and pass minimum laws and standards (such as California's Proposition 65). This process always requires the use of heat. However, heat itself does not cause oxidative damage to the fish oil‚ it can only affect the rate of oxidation. Without the presence of free radicals or oxygen, there is no oxidation to speed up. This is also why nitrogen–flushed fish oils can handle being shipped, delivered, and stored in even the hottest climates and still taste great.

Third–party testing for TOTOX values will reliably show the total oxidation to which the oil has been exposed, and will thereby reliably assess the quality of any processing technique. (For more information on TOTOX values, see #39 below.) Perhaps even more important is the absence of a fishy taste. It has been verified that the most significant and sensitive pieces of equipment that measure oxidation in oils are still not nearly as sensitive as the human palate [From the AOCS meeting 2007]. The aldehyde by-products of oxidative damage to fish oils have a high vapour pressure (thus the fish burp) and the distinctly disagreeable taste and smell of rancid fisH.

35. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MOLECULAR DISTILLATION AND CO2 PROCESSING?

Molecular distillation removes impurities (heavy metals, dioxins, etc), saturated fats, and other undesirable organic compounds, leaving behind only the key beneficial components of the fish oil. It is a gentle distillation process with exceptionally low heat residence time, and is performed in a vacuum to further reduce the heat requirement. Flash distillation accomplishes the same thing as molecular distillation, but utilises steam rather than a vacuum.

CO2 extraction or fractionation starts with oil that has previously undergone either molecular distillation or flash distillation to remove impurities. It uses a combination of pressure and heat to concentrate the amount of omega–3s (EPA and/or DHA) in the oil, extracting the ethyl esters from the fish oil in order to increase their concentration.

Nordic Naturals does not use CO2 extraction because it has not been shown to provide a superior quality product. Independent lab results consistently show that our patented processing techniques deliver oils of exceptional quality and freshness. Certificates of Analysis are available upon request.

36. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MOLECULAR DISTILLATION AND COLD-PRESSED FISH OIL?

Please see #33, #34, and #35 (above) for information about molecular distillation. All fish oil‚ regardless of the kind of manufacturing process used, needs to be processed in order to remove contaminants and pass minimum laws and standards (such as California's Proposition 65). This process always requires the use of heat. This includes so–called "cold–pressed" fish oils. Cold-pressed oil also must also use heat during processing to turn the raw material into oil and remove impurities to pass minimum laws and standards.

Nordic Naturals does not use "cold–pressed" processing because it has not been shown to provide a superior quality product. Independent lab results consistently show that our patented processing techniques deliver oils of exceptional quality and freshness. Certificates of Analysis are available upon request.

Information on molecular distillation via Iceland Pure:

Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy oil from the clean waters of Iceland. Omega 3 fatty acids per tst 1,296mg.Our oil is practically odor free with great palatability and freshness (preferred oil for cats). Our Sardine Anchovy oil undergoes a molecular distillation process that takes only 45 seconds at 250 degrees C under high vacuum. This shortening of the "sit" or "residence" time for processing greatly improves the quality because it guarantees that no trans fats are created. This natural purification process also removes virtually all toxins and heavy metals to produce a level of purity so high that the oil can be labeled "toxin-free." Samples of our oil are tested regularly for purity by licensed, third-party testing companies, in accordance with strict European safety standards, as stringent or more so than US standards. In addition our Sardine Anchovy oil is housed in our exclusive brushed epoxy coated aluminum bottles, the finest quality packaging to help ensure you receive the freshest and safest fish oil available for your pets. These bottles are FDA-approved to hold liquids used for human consumption.
The analysis chart: Salmon oil for dog plus Sardine Anchovy oil for dogs from Iceland Pu

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to confirm, Nordic Naturals confirmed all their oils are molecularly distilled.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for doing all that work! Those all sound like top-quality oils. Interesting that the distillation process removes the Vit-D from fish oil where the "source fish" is normally an oily fish. I never would have guessed that.

Now the important part....Hopefully the molecular distillation will allow your Juliette to take it without her fish allergy flaring up!

Nice research.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for doing all that work! Those all sound like top-quality oils. Interesting that the distillation process removes the Vit-D from fish oil where the "source fish" is normally an oily fish. I never would have guessed that.

Now the important part....Hopefully the molecular distillation will allow your Juliette to take it without her fish allergy flaring up!

Nice research.
Thank you! Just to confirm any A is removed too.The distillation removes toxins and the vitamins. E is added back to extend the life of the oil.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far the Iceland Pure is working well with my cat that is allergic to fish. She's not ripping out hair and her mouth hasn't swollen up.