Help Remy has lost 1 1/2 lbs after mitzee died

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My remy is 10 months old. His mother died *another thread...she ate rubber bands* about 2 weeks ago. He has lost 1 1/2 lbs. He is eating normally, and has normal bowel movements but I noticed he felt lighter so i weighed him. I called my vet. He said Remy is probably stressed and to keep an eye on him. If he loses any more to bring him in for tests. Remy is a 14 pounder and not over weight. My questions are is this normal ? Have any of you ever had a situation like this? I also have noticed he doesnt like it if i leave the room. I dont know if i should get another cat or if that will help or upset him further? I am just too new at this. I am stressing so bad over this because I dont want anything to happen to him.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could be mourning... do you have rescue remedy or feliway going??

Has diet or anything else other than the death of Mom been changed??

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say that he is grieving, not unusual, but like your vet siad keep an eye on him... maybe get him a friend? I actually had twin brothers and when Dale died, Junior was very lethargic for a few weeks, but then perked up eventually

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
do you think its too soon to get him a buddy? Or is it better to introduce a new friend during the grieving period.
I had my homeopath send me a remedy I will see how that works for him too. She actually has a ragdoll from the same breeder. I haven't changed his diet but I am going to add wet food from the same brand he is currently eating and maybe that will perk him up.
Thanks for all the suggestions
I am going to my first cat show on the 10th in Canton Ohio. The breeder invited me along. I think this will be interesting. Grandma will be staying with Remy and he loves her!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is probably is not too early to get him a buddy.
In fact he may take to a buddy rather easily in his depression.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reddicequeen

I also have noticed he doesnt like it if i leave the room.
My cat was like that when his brother died - he became very clingy and wouldn't even go sleep on my bed (his favourite place for a post supper nap) if I was in another room. It took him 2-3 months to start behaving more like his normal self. Personally I would wait a while until he's behaving a bit more normally before you introduce another cat but that's just my opinion.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the wait awhile with Spaz after my BC died, I think it was a mistake.
She's 12 now and has never bonded with another cat, she only tolerates them.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might be a good time to get a mate now... That way he will be like a friend instead of hay am a only child get out of here.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think he is coming out of it a bit. He has been playing with my grandsons today and is acting more like his old self. I started him on the wet version of the cat food that I give him. Life's Abundance and he really likes it so I am hoping he will put the weight back on in a short while. I am still toying with the idea of getting him a buddy. I dont like the idea of him not having a playmate whenever I am gone. But we will see....thanks everyone for your great suggestions

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like Remy misses his mother.

A buddy might be just what Remy needs.
Learn all you can about introducing a new kitty to him before you bring his new friend home.
You will want the introductions to go as smoothly as possible.

Keep us updated.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pinky grieved over his littermate brother for nearly 18 months and came out of it once he made new cat friends. Remy is young and would adjust to a new buddy pretty quickly.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my case I already had other cats, but of course Dale was Junior's best friends, took a couple weeks and he was ok.... BTW I live an hour from Canton- have fun at the cat show! should be really cool to see all the gorgeous purebreds

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks katiemae i am really excited...and since i am going with a breeder mebbe i will get to see some of the *behind the scenes* stuff. It will be fun, and I promised the other girls i will be designated driver *

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they are going to be showing a somali and their ragdolls. I have never seen one (somali) other than in pictures.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

they are going to be showing a somali and their ragdolls. I have never seen one (somali) other than in pictures.
I love Ragdolls and Somali's are so exotic- sounds like a great time! how has Remy been doing?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have never seen one (somali) other than in pictures.
They're gorgeous - their fur is so soft. I have a 5 month old somali kitten and he's such a sweetie (a lunatic, but sweet with it!)

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do cat shows let you take pictures? I plan on taking some of the somali and ragdoll but that i can do in the room *grin* I thought about taking Remy but I think its best if he has no more shocks... He is eating a can 3 oz of the new Life's Abundance cat food...and free feeds on the dry...he has gained back his weight...and he actually meows when i open a can of that stuff...till i give it to him. I think he is going to be fine. I am still thinking of a buddy cat though. Cats are like potato chips

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do cat shows let you take pictures? I plan on taking some of the somali and ragdoll but that i can do in the room *grin* I thought about taking Remy but I think its best if he has no more shocks... He is eating a can 3 oz of the new Life's Abundance cat food...and free feeds on the dry...he has gained back his weight...and he actually meows when i open a can of that stuff...till i give it to him. I think he is going to be fine. I am still thinking of a buddy cat though. Cats are like potato chips
Remy is beautiful. I'm going to get a Ragdoll in a few weeks. I'm so excited! How much does he weigh at 10 months? I'm so sorry about his mom. My cat had a blockage last year and it's very tough on them and us.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

yay Remy!! so glad to hear he's doing better. Oh, I hope you can take pics, I would love to see them
I actually felt like I had too few cats when I only had 2
So after next week I'll have 8!