Help: Pregnant Feral Just Gave Birth

sparrow.sc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I have a very friendly, young stray in my neighborhood that the house across the street usually leaves water and food out for, but she still remains outside. I live in Arizona and even though we are nearing the end of September it is still over 100 degrees here. Three days ago I felt like fate brought her to outside my door, so I invited her in. I planned on "adopting" our neighborhood stray, and since have bought all the requirements she needs.

Today, I walk into my dining room and I hear constant meowing. I thought she was just stuck behind our mantle, but no... when I moved it out of the way there were 3 newborn kittens wiggling around.

She didn't appear to be pregnant, I just assumed she was a little bloated because she eats her food quickly in great volume.

She went into labor I want to say around 10am this morning, I noticed earlier she still seemed to contract her body a bit. Is there any chance she will have more kittens, I didn't see any placenta come out, and she managed to make almost no mess on my carpet (Thank God!) so will that come later? Also, the runt of the litter seems to have a hard time finding the nipple, she seems to have it now but I worry she will not get sufficient nutrition. I'm aware of bottle/syringe feeding her but I'm not sure what to buy or even where to buy it. The mother is very protective of them and I don't want to break the bond or anything like that, by moving them, but I have a crate set up with blankets for her when she is ready to move.

I have read article after article online. I never though I would become a grandma at 21. I was just trying to help this poor cat and I'm so lucky I took her in when I did. I have 100% intentions on following through with care for the mother and her kittens. I haven't taken her to the vet yet, but I am worried about the cost when I do go.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Sevi

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations grandma. :) There is a pregnant cat and kitten area on the forum where you could post. There are people who regularly post in there who are very knowledgeable about newborns. You can get a little kitchen scale to weigh the kittens, that way you can tell if the kittens are gaining weight and getting enough nutrition. It is hard to bottle feed them that young, so I would not do it unless it is absolutely necessary. They may aspirate the milk and that can kill them. I think it was fate that brought the little mommy to you.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You happen to live in a great state for cats! I have assisted another person there in finding resources for help. Just google anything you need to find as far as help goes. If you can’t find what you need then PM me. I will try to help.
That mom cat chose you. She came there to have her babies for a very good reason. She sensed something very good in you. surya surya gave you great information. She has lots of experience with kitties. Mom should do well caring for the babies but if this is her first litter she may need a little help. I would provide a nice cardboard box and keep a clean towel in the bottom of it to help keep kittens warm. Go on the forum here and read about kitten care. TVS is a great place to find help. Post with any questions or concerns. I will put this thread in my watch so I can follow you. Congratulaions! I don’t know if she is finished having babies yet but you already have grandchildren! In my opinion, there is nothing more delightful to watch than baby kittens. Once they start playing you will be laughing constantly. Adorable! We will all enjoy folllwing your story. You might want to start taking baby pictures now Grandma! :welcomesign::cheerleader: :bday:Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparrow.sc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations grandma. :) There is a pregnant cat and kitten area on the forum where you could post. There are people who regularly post in there who are very knowledgeable about newborns. You can get a little kitchen scale to weigh the kittens, that way you can tell if the kittens are gaining weight and getting enough nutrition. It is hard to bottle feed them that young, so I would not do it unless it is absolutely necessary. They may aspirate the milk and that can kill them. I think it was fate that brought the little mommy to you.
Thank you! I will make sure to weigh them and will definitely search through the forums. :)

Attachments

sparrow.sc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You happen to live in a great state for cats! I have assisted another person there in finding resources for help. Just google anything you need to find as far as help goes. If you can’t find what you need then PM me. I will try to help.
That mom cat chose you. She came there to have her babies for a very good reason. She sensed something very good in you. surya surya gave you great information. She has lots of experience with kitties. Mom should do well caring for the babies but if this is her first litter she may need a little help. I would provide a nice cardboard box and keep a clean towel in the bottom of it to help keep kittens warm. Go on the forum here and read about kitten care. TVS is a great place to find help. Post with any questions or concerns. I will put this thread in my watch so I can follow you. Congratulaions! I don’t know if she is finished having babies yet but you already have grandchildren! In my opinion, there is nothing more delightful to watch than baby kittens. Once they start playing you will be laughing constantly. Adorable! We will all enjoy folllwing your story. You might want to start taking baby pictures now Grandma! :welcomesign::cheerleader: :bday:Kittens
Thank you so much! I felt very alone in this and I'm so glad I found some great people here. She's doing very well and I couldn't be more proud of her. She doesn't seem to be ready to move just yet into the bed or crate, but all in due time. Excited to grow with them :)

Attachments

sparrow.sc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: This morning when I went to check on Luna I found a stillborn hidden under her blanket. She must of had a 4th throughout the night, I'm upset it didn't make it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Unfortunately, that can happen. Focus on how this mama cat knew that she could trust you and how fortunate it is that you are able to help her with the rest of the litter. Don't drag yourself down because of the one who was stillborn. Believe me, it is fortunate they were born in your house as you can now control their little paths as they get older and get them to a rescue...much better than having found them a few weeks from now and needing to trap them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: This morning when I went to check on Luna I found a stillborn hidden under her blanket. She must of had a 4th throughout the night, I'm upset it didn't make it.
I know that was tough for you. I'm sorry. ((Hugs))

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW !
Welcome to the forum sparrow.sc !

You had some questions there that still need answers....I'll ask to have the thread moved over to where the kitten experts hang out, so that you don't have to post all over the place.

Then, perhaps when the kittens are 'hardy' and ready for whatever next steps you decide on, this story might return here.

One thing, though........one little picture doesn't cut it here:lol:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love that you care about this stray girl and plan to give her a loving home where she will feel safe and wanted. :cheerleader::clap2::rock:
Mom may still not be done yet. I suspected when you said she was still contraction her body some she had more to go. It's commonly seen when a cat will take a break in between.
Also sorry for the wee one who had to get it's wings so soon in it's tiny life. :rbheart:

It doesn't sound like this is mama's first rodeo, she sounds experienced in mothering so that's always a big plus despite the fact of adding to the population is so not needed. It's the immature too young to be having nurturing instincts developed, then you would have REALLY had a surprise! :eek2:
You can (if she is comfortable with it) feel her tummy for lumps to be sure all are delivered now.

The runt as you said needs to be watched carefully. It's very good for there to only be 3 babes, this means all will get one of the 4 best nipples vs the norm which is the biggest booting the smalls off the good nipples and them struggling.

Weight is what you will want to watch.
Weigh in grams and keep track of their daily gains for now while they are newborns.
You will want to see a good 10 grams every day or more of gains each.
You will soon know whether the smallest is on it's way to stability this way.

Otherwise, mom will do the rest.
Provide food and fresh water near her so she doesn't have to leave them much other than to use her litterbox and eat.

All sounds great so far! :tongue:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not much of an expert, really, I'm just good at finding them, and catwoman707 catwoman707 is one of those I call on. GOOD food for mama will help considerably. The best you can manage, preferably kitten food, as she needs the extra "oomph" while nursing.

Rest you gentle, Tiny Soul, dream you deep. Your short life had meaning, and you are marked and mourned.

sparrow.sc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love that you care about this stray girl and plan to give her a loving home where she will feel safe and wanted. :cheerleader::clap2::rock:
Mom may still not be done yet. I suspected when you said she was still contraction her body some she had more to go. It's commonly seen when a cat will take a break in between.
Also sorry for the wee one who had to get it's wings so soon in it's tiny life. :rbheart:

It doesn't sound like this is mama's first rodeo, she sounds experienced in mothering so that's always a big plus despite the fact of adding to the population is so not needed. It's the immature too young to be having nurturing instincts developed, then you would have REALLY had a surprise! :eek2:
You can (if she is comfortable with it) feel her tummy for lumps to be sure all are delivered now.

The runt as you said needs to be watched carefully. It's very good for there to only be 3 babes, this means all will get one of the 4 best nipples vs the norm which is the biggest booting the smalls off the good nipples and them struggling.

Weight is what you will want to watch.
Weigh in grams and keep track of their daily gains for now while they are newborns.
You will want to see a good 10 grams every day or more of gains each.
You will soon know whether the smallest is on it's way to stability this way.

Otherwise, mom will do the rest.
Provide food and fresh water near her so she doesn't have to leave them much other than to use her litterbox and eat.

All sounds great so far! :tongue:
Thank you! The kittens are very vocal at 4 days old, and they all weigh about the same now. I've noticed she has a favorite kitten... the orange and white one :)

The only concern I have at the moment is, I can see (now that she has had the kittens) she wants to go back outside. She seems to have lived outside her whole life. I will get her spayed once the kittens are weaned, but is there any way I can persuade her to live indoors?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right, in time she will adjust, but meanwhile she will want to escape if she can, and she has a job to do, caring for those babies, but know when she goes in to heat again will reeeally try to get out.

Some cats will always want to be outside vs inside only. In time if this is how she ends up to be, while it's def not the safest way to go, I am aware that those few who just don't seem to adjust to indoor only life, can and will drive you crazy until they get their way.
Once spayed and is given a good month or 2 after the 2 months of caring for her kittens, she should have settled down well and hopefully will love the indoor life she is given.
If not, is the area around your home safe for her?

For my cats I have a big backyard that is cat proofed with the entire fence topped with cat fencing. They never leave and have everything they could want in outdoors right here where it's safe. This is ideal but not possible for all.

BTW, what do the babes weigh?

sparrow.sc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love the cat proofed outdoor idea. I do have previous pets, I have two dogs which I think is another factor in her wanting to leave. Luckily while my dogs are curious, they don't really go over there much. I have given her a whole kitty-proof room to herself and sectioned it off from everyone and everything. I'm shopping around for a scratching post for them just so they aren't bored or climb the curtains :)

At birth 2 of the kittens were about 2.6 ounces and the runt was only 2.2 ounces, but 5 days later the bigger two are about 4.4 ounces and the runt is 4 ounces.