Help Please! Cat trying to Kill Kitten

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MaxTucker

Thanks for all the advice and help guys, they're best of friends now!
So glad to hear your kittens are doing much better!

I got my brothers at 6 weeks as well... (I live in the US). They came from a friend's litter--well, her cat's litter, anyway! lol! Before bringing them home I went to visit every week and by the take-away date, mom showed no interest in nursing and if a kitten went "up to the bar" so to speak, she'd get up and walk away.

I knew 6 weeks was a little early - I'd have preferred to wait until 8 weeks - but I didn't know it was as serious as described here. My sweet brothers did not need any safe room/bonding/hiding/adjustment time, and do not have any adverse behavioral problems beyond just being impossibly energetic & rambunctious!

As a newcomer myself, this was an interesting thread to read! Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts & advice with Max, as I enjoyed reading it as well!

robin5673

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree kitten should stay with their mothers up to 12 weeks, but that isn't always possible.  I just rescued a baby kitten that had been thrown out behind a store with her other siblings.  She was only 5 weeks old and weighed less than a pound, according to the vets.  Her sister died from breathing difficulties at the vets.  She has been given all meds needed at this time and blood work done.

I have run into the same problem with my male 3 year old cat, Re,x which weighs 14 lbs.  Right now Pepi is not liked to well by the two male cats I have, but I must admit Rex has shown her how to drink water, eat, use the kitty liter box, cleans her ears, etc.

Rex grabbed her this morning around the neck and took her into the living room.  I got the baby away, but it did put me on alert and she is now in one of the bedrooms during the day.  I do believe and after talking with my vet that Rex could have killed her and I was right there.  

I really thought because of the last 4 days I have been home, all was well.  I have not had a kitten in my house for a good 12 years, so lesson learned. 

Hang in there, it will get better, but keep them apart when not around.  The other thing, I am giving Rex and Midnight more attention.  I assumed they knew I loved them, but this has been their house for many years and I just dropped a bomb shell on them. 

I will foster Pepi until she is about 12 weeks old and then find her a good loving home.  Any animal who can fight so hard to live at 5 weeks old deserves to have a "forever home."

Kittymama1378

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this goes beyond play fighting and I really need some help as I may have to give a on of these cats away. 7 days ago I purchased a new kitten, he is roughly 8 weeks old. Around Christmas time I purchased my first kitten who is now 6 months old.

They seem to play rough but no puffy tails or hissing. Just now things got weird though. My older kitten keeps walking up behind the 8 week old baby and trying to wrap his entire mouth around the kittens neck (from the back of the neck). It looks like a lion trying to kill a gazelle with a choke hold. He never quite goes through with it as the young one turns on his back and flails his claws which causes the old kitten to move away.

Is this normal and safe cat behavior or is the old cat planning on murder? It looks very, very worrying but with no hissing I cannot be sure.

I really need some advice, I cannot leave the house right now out of fear that I will come back to a dead kitten. Is it playful/normal for a big cat to try and wrap his jaws around a smaller cats neck?
I know that this post is so old, but it is my exact situation right now!!!! How long did it take for your older one to stop biting his neck?