Help - outdoor kitty adjust to new life indoors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay, that's s good start! Well, if your going to order diffusers from amazon, you could also order some litter attract, & that might help. Hopefully she'll use it before then, but good to have on hand either way. In the meanwhile, I was going to say, maybe you could gather up some dirt from outside to put on top of the litter, to hopefully help, but remembered you have a lot of snow, so not sure if you can get to any.
Here's a link...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PKUUU0/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW3WZPH/?tag=thecatsite
Thanks for the links. I did research this morning on the diffusers and learned the Feliway brand has problems with overheating and then I found the same Comfort Zone diffuser you included in your link. I like that it has an automatic shut off in case it overheats. I also found the same litter attractant, Dr. Elsey's. Both can't be delivered sooner than Saturday (I guess Amazon isn't speedy in delivering everything). However, the pet store I shop has the actual litter, it's called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. This is part of the description: Blended with a natural herb attractant, Cat Attract's herbal scent, ideal texture and particle size combine to solve litter box problems. If the store opens tomorrow (it may not due to snow totals and they're closing the store early today) I can get this litter sooner than the attractant. Do you think this is worthwhile? Even if I can't get it until Wednesday, it's still sooner than Saturday, but, I want kitty to go potty today. As for getting dirt, not possible. The ground was frozen before the snow started falling. I tried scratching around in the box with my hand to give her the idea of what to do and she just meowed at me, lol.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
However, the pet store I shop has the actual litter, it's called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. This is part of the description: Blended with a natural herb attractant, Cat Attract's herbal scent, ideal texture and particle size combine to solve litter box problems. If the store opens tomorrow (it may not due to snow totals and they're closing the store early today) I can get this litter sooner than the attractant. Do you think this is worthwhile?
Yes. The only reason the attractant additive is preferred is because you can use it in the litter you prefer. The Cat Attract litter works just as well, but if you like a different brand of litter, at some point (after using the litter box isn't a problem) you'll have to gradually switch from the Cat Attract litter to your preferred litter. A drastic change in litter can cause litter box usage problems too.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. I did research this morning on the diffusers and learned the Feliway brand has problems with overheating and then I found the same Comfort Zone diffuser you included in your link. I like that it has an automatic shut off in case it overheats. I also found the same litter attractant, Dr. Elsey's. Both can't be delivered sooner than Saturday (I guess Amazon isn't speedy in delivering everything). However, the pet store I shop has the actual litter, it's called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. This is part of the description: Blended with a natural herb attractant, Cat Attract's herbal scent, ideal texture and particle size combine to solve litter box problems. If the store opens tomorrow (it may not due to snow totals and they're closing the store early today) I can get this litter sooner than the attractant. Do you think this is worthwhile? Even if I can't get it until Wednesday, it's still sooner than Saturday, but, I want kitty to go potty today. As for getting dirt, not possible. The ground was frozen before the snow started falling. I tried scratching around in the box with my hand to give her the idea of what to do and she just meowed at me, lol.
Oh no, I just noticed the back label of Dr. Elsey's Ultra Litter Attractant states it may not be effective in non-clumping litter, which is what I am using. I wonder if it makes more sense for me to just cancel the attractant and order Dr. Elsey's litter instead (or pick it up at the pet store).

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. The only reason the attractant additive is preferred is because you can use it in the litter you prefer. The Cat Attract litter works just as well, but if you like a different brand of litter, at some point (after using the litter box isn't a problem) you'll have to gradually switch from the Cat Attract litter to your preferred litter. A drastic change in litter can cause litter box usage problems too.
Ok, thanks, then I'll probably just buy the litter because I can get it faster. Yes, I thought of that. In the past, I've used all sorts of litters from clay clumping, recycled newspapers, corn cob, etc. and I was lucky because none of my 3 male cats ever minded the switches. I think low dust is good and I recall Arm & Hammer makes a decent one. At this point, whatever little kitty prefers is fine with me. For just 1 cat, I don't mind if whatever she prefers costs a little more.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great to know about the diffusers, because I did used to notice that they got hot. If I ever need it again, I'll have to order a new one. If we lived in the same town, I have both you could use... Yes, sounds like the attract litter may just be the way to go. I love the original world's best corn litter. I've never really gotten any dust with that. It's pretty clean & no scent. I can't do the strong scents at all, & if it bothers us, think how strong it is to them! I don't think they should put scent in litter.
Krep us posted. 😊🤞

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you are making some progress with the eating. Does she dislike litter? I brought in one feral who will not use litter, but will use a litter box with a dog pad in it.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great to know about the diffusers, because I did used to notice that they got hot. If I ever need it again, I'll have to order a new one. If we lived in the same town, I have both you could use... Yes, sounds like the attract litter may just be the way to go. I love the original world's best corn litter. I've never really gotten any dust with that. It's pretty clean & no scent. I can't do the strong scents at all, & if it bothers us, think how strong it is to them! I don't think they should put scent in litter.
Krep us posted. 😊🤞
Yes, it's nice when pet owners can donate their pet supplies. I do this with my colleagues but it seems when you really need something in a hurry, you don't have it and there's no one around that can donate it to you, lol! I've used the corn litter too and really liked it. I agree, the scented litters are pretty horrible to breathe in, they hurt my lungs.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that you are making some progress with the eating. Does she dislike litter? I brought in one feral who will not use litter, but will use a litter box with a dog pad in it.
I don't really know. My neighbor said she used to potty outside but has smelled her cats' litter boxes. Maybe she just doesn't know what to do. I've seen indoor/outdoor cats in my area just take a poop on the sidewalk and walk away without trying to move it to bury. Perhaps the litter is foreign concept. I have plenty of pads for dogs so I suppose I could slide one next to the litter box and see if she goes (I don't have a 2nd box).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Elise, twin sister to my avatar, had only gone on concrete in an alley. Evidently her sister had a different outdoor toilet experience as she used a litter box immediately but Elise refused to get anywhere near a box with litter. She chose a couple of "secret" spot, I put a box in each one, she moved the "secret" spot so then I just put an empty box and she was fine. Using the puppy pads kept it a lot more sanitary though.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello cat experts!
I am an experienced cat owner; I owned 3 indoor only male cats for 18 years and a female cairn terrier for 10 years. 12 years later, I'm now in unfamiliar territory. Those pets have passed and I own 2 small Chihuahua mixes (7 and 11 pounds) who are well behaved around my pet sitter's kitten. My neighbor's son befriended a kitten who we believe was part of a feral cat colony. The kitten was rejected by the colony so she started hanging at the neighbor's house. The neighbor has a resident, feral cat who has tried to drive kitty away but she has been persistent in visiting. She ate there but slept across the street under the deck of a neighbor's house across the street. She's affectionate towards the neighbor's 16 yr old son, sits on his lap and watches him and friends play basketball. The neighbor wanted to bring her inside but she has a sickly cat with only 1 kidney and another cat and both freaked out when kitty entered the laundry room a few times. It is now freezing and we are due for a severe snow storm of up to 12 inches of snow so we decided it was time bring her bring her inside to my house.

She's been here only for 36 hours so of course I'm not expecting much but she isn't eating or drinking. I wanted to keep her in my spare bedroom but my house is old and the room isn't insulated well so it's 60 degrees even when the downstairs is 70 so I thought it would be cruel. Instead I choose the family room which is on the lower level of my home. I wasn't counting on her being able to, or motivated to jump the gate at the top of the stairs into my kitchen. She also jumped the gate into the living room, which is where she has remained behind a couch and under a table with a long tablecloth she can hide under. I moved her litter box (which doesn't appear to have been used) to the room along with her water and dry food she was eating outside. I have tried to tempt her with a grain free cat pate and a homemade food cat recipe and she hasn't touched anything. To make things a tad more complicated, I think she is in heat. There is a lot of meowing outside of the conversations we have and we are guessing she is about 6 months old, so the timing appears to be right for her to be in heat. I am keeping my dogs away from her and have no idea how I'm going to get her to a vet for a health check and to be spayed. My dogs realize she's in the house and they bark from the adjacent kitchen occasionally but they seem to know she is stressed. Yesterday I went to work so she had the house to herself (my dogs went to daycare). I checked in on her via my camera app but I didn't see her so I don't think she explored the house. My house is small, only 1300 sq ft so I don't have options for relocating her and I don't want to stress her further by forcing her to go somewhere else, like the bathroom. I don't know how I could catch her anyway. Any ideas on how to get her to eat and use the litter box? I don't want to end up with a dehydrated kitty, or worse. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Hello NJResident NJResident and new kitten and welcome to TCS! Generally a cat, especially one who has had to fend for him/herself on the streets/outdoors, will be pretty uncertain, concerned, and stressed. So (s)he may not eat for awhile. Making sure there is fresh water and palatable food (tuna is especially recommended as it really appeals to most cats, but turkey, chicken, salmon or a mixed grill might be accepted. You want her to eat, so I'd recommend something pretty fragrant. Also, as long as she's been shown her box, she should use it as cats are instinctively fastidious and they seek out good places to go) Feliway spray, used as directed, (or the plug-ins, which I've never used) can be very helpful in calming cats. There are calming treats, too, such as Quiet Moments, widely available, which may help. Usually, though, a cat needs time to adjust and trust. She should come out and discover these things when she is ready. 1,300 feet is really not that small. My ex and I lived in an 1,100 sq. ft. house for several years with a multicat family that varied in number and we brought in quite a few new members. I wouldn't worry about space.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suppose it's possible I have a similar situation with this kitty and using a box with a peed pad would be fine with me. That's the thing I'm worried about though, this kitty doesn't seem to have any secret spots. I cannot believe she hasn't gone potty since she arrived here on Friday evening (it's been 72 hours) and I don't smell urine or poop. I realize she just started eating last night, 24 hours ago, but had eaten prior to arriving so I would think her body was producing urine/poo, even though she didn't eat for 2 days.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello NJResident NJResident and new kitten and welcome to TCS! Generally a cat, especially one who has had to fend for him/herself on the streets/outdoors, will be pretty uncertain, concerned, and stressed. So (s)he may not eat for awhile. Making sure there is fresh water and palatable food (tuna is especially recommended as it really appeals to most cats, but turkey, chicken, salmon or a mixed grill might be accepted. You want her to eat, so I'd recommend something pretty fragrant. Also, as long as she's been shown her box, she should use it as cats are instinctively fastidious and they seek out good places to go) Feliway spray, used as directed, (or the plug-ins, which I've never used) can be very helpful in calming cats. There are calming treats, too, such as Quiet Moments, widely available, which may help. Usually, though, a cat needs time to adjust and trust. She should come out and discover these things when she is ready. 1,300 feet is really not that small. My ex and I lived in an 1,100 sq. ft. house for several years with a multicat family that varied in number and we brought in quite a few new members. I wouldn't worry about space.
Thank you for the warm welcome! Tonight we are trying turkey but so far she has rejected all wet food and is eating the kibble, which I was happy about because she hadn't eaten or had any water in 2 days. Of course I'd like for her to eat anything other than kibble because it is so drying to the system. Baby steps. When you suggest tuna, do you mean straight tuna from a packet/can that people eat or pet food? I tried a mixed seafood cat food which had tuna and I also just purchase a cat food that has just tuna in it so I can try that. I worry about kitty becoming addicted to tuna that people eat; that happened to one of my former kitties and it was a real battle to get him to eat anything else and I don't want for that to happen to this little girl.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry to much about that. Right now, she just needs to eat, & get moisture too. If she goes for it, you can always wein her off the tuna later w/ mixing it in other food, less & less each time, just like when switching their food to a new one. 😊

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry to much about that. Right now, she just needs to eat, & get moisture too. If she goes for it, you can always wein her off the tuna later w/ mixing it in other food, less & less each time, just like when switching their food to a new one. 😊
Well, Kitty ate the canned, turkey cat food tonight. More progress. Still no litter box action and nothing on the pee pad.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great. Should be just a matter of time now, but still may be just small amounts, since she hadn't eaten in so long, hopefully her body needed most of it.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More progress: At 2:30am kitty was meowing so I went downstairs for our nightly visit which lasted until 4am. I sat on the kitchen floor and Kitty came out from her hiding spot to explore! She sniffed around the living room a bit and then came in the kitchen. I didn't make a move to pet or touch her because I figured she will come rub against me when she's ready but I softly told her the scary doggies were upstairs. She sniffed around the kitchen and meowed a bit. I brought her litter box in and scratched around in it to show her what to do. A few minutes later she went back to her hiding spot and I went upstairs to order the Cat Attract litter from Petsmart because they could ship same day and I wouldn't have to go driving on the snowy roads. This morning I saw that she finally went #1 and #2, yay! I cleaned the box so she will go in again.. It was too late to cancel the order and it was delivered it right at noon. It might not be a bad idea to keep it and use it in a 2nd litter box for when kitty is more acclimated and has the run of the house. Has anyone else used this litter before, is it strong smelling? I really prefer fragrance free or odors from natural sources.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been following your story and am so glad to hear that progress is being made! Here is my take on the litter question!

Several years ago, I started using Cat Attract litter when one of my cats was having litter box issues. Along with a vet check, etc., I started to add a little Cat Attract on the top of the usual litter. I watched as this cat seemed drawn like a magnet to use the litter! When I brought a feral and a stray cat inside, they also used this litter readily. Although it is more expensive than many other brands, I have continued to use it and now use it "straight," not mixing it with another brand. I don't think it has a strong smell. I usually order it from Chewy or Amazon and once in a while, it will be on sale!

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YAY!! That's great news! Especially that she came out to explore. So glad she FINALLY went potty!! 😻
I know, I was shocked that she came out to explore so soon! Even though my dogs have been pretty good and I keep them separate from her, she still knows they're around during the day so she doesn't come out then. It seems only natural that she doesn't feel safe. I try to take time to sit in the family room during the day (one floor down from where she is) so if she wants to come out and explore, she can, but so far she hasn't. I will need to determine when it's appropriate to introduce her to them. I know it's a long way off but I want to be prepared. Years ago when I had 3 cats it seemed easier to introduce our new puppy, Annie, to them because it was already their domain. Annie was not allowed upstairs where the cats hung out and slept and when we were all together downstairs, she was kept on a leash attached to a dog walking harness I wore so she couldn't chase or terrorize them. It was pretty clear she wasn't going to hurt them and it wasn't long before she was able to be around them off leash. I think doing the opposite is going to be much more challenging.