HELP! New rescue cat attacking other cats

Joanna68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Desperate for any help or advice please. I have four rescue cats. Two are brother and sister from kittens (mom died birthing them) and have been with me eight years and tolerate each other, male is tuxedo, the sister a tortie. My third rescue is a ginger female I introduced five years ago and is also eight years, she is very feisty and just about lives with the other two, but fights with the male occasionally. My fourth latest addition (and the big problem) is a stray cat who adopted us six months ago. He started living in the extension we are renovating in a terrible state. Matted fur, extremely timid and nervous of humans and rotting teeth. My partner and daughter started feeding him and I fell in love and vowed to help him back to his former glory. It took him three months to trust us and three months to get him to the vets.

10 teeth removed, including broken roots, neutered, dreadlocks shaved off and microchipped we eventually brought him back home to recuperate. He is like my shadow and most loving creature I have ever known. Loving to me that is and I adore him. Our other three cats are terrified of him as he attacks each one of them if they even dare to walk round their house.

I have Feliway plug ins in every room to try and calm them. We monitor their feeding to keep them apart. Are on constant alert for when one of them ventures downstairs to head him off at the pass, plenty of food and water bowls about the house, litter trays in each room. He sleeps on my chest at night, but if one of our other cats decides to have a midnight walk all hell breaks loose.

We are all upset at the fights which are really vicious at times and on eggshells waiting for the next incident. I am at my wits end because if I go anywhere he comes with me, he is like my shadow and rarely leaves my side. So apart from packing my bags and finding a cat hotel with him to stop the fighting and tears and arguments with my partner I don't know what to do to ease the transition of this beautiful stray with our other three. Any words of wisdom, advice, help would be very much appreciated. I am willing to try anything. Thank you for reading.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Desperate for any help or advice please. I have four rescue cats. Two are brother and sister from kittens (mom died birthing them) and have been with me eight years and tolerate each other, male is tuxedo, the sister a tortie. My third rescue is a ginger female I introduced five years ago and is also eight years, she is very feisty and just about lives with the other two, but fights with the male occasionally. My fourth latest addition (and the big problem) is a stray cat who adopted us six months ago. He started living in the extension we are renovating in a terrible state. Matted fur, extremely timid and nervous of humans and rotting teeth. My partner and daughter started feeding him and I fell in love and vowed to help him back to his former glory. It took him three months to trust us and three months to get him to the vets.

10 teeth removed, including broken roots, neutered, dreadlocks shaved off and microchipped we eventually brought him back home to recuperate. He is like my shadow and most loving creature I have ever known. Loving to me that is and I adore him. Our other three cats are terrified of him as he attacks each one of them if they even dare to walk round their house.

I have Feliway plug ins in every room to try and calm them. We monitor their feeding to keep them apart. Are on constant alert for when one of them ventures downstairs to head him off at the pass, plenty of food and water bowls about the house, litter trays in each room. He sleeps on my chest at night, but if one of our other cats decides to have a midnight walk all hell breaks loose.

We are all upset at the fights which are really vicious at times and on eggshells waiting for the next incident. I am at my wits end because if I go anywhere he comes with me, he is like my shadow and rarely leaves my side. So apart from packing my bags and finding a cat hotel with him to stop the fighting and tears and arguments with my partner I don't know what to do to ease the transition of this beautiful stray with our other three. Any words of wisdom, advice, help would be very much appreciated. I am willing to try anything. Thank you for reading.
Thank YOU for coming to TCS and posting about him, Joanna68 Joanna68 and welcome to TCS! If you don't know of "The Cat Daddy", cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy from his Animal Planet TV series, "MY CAT FROM HELL" or his YouTube videos, books, and/or social media presence, he is an amazing guy who loves and knows his cats. Suggest you look at his videos on introducing new cats to the family and also look here on TCS for the subject by clicking on the site title up top and scrolling to see the helpful information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joanna68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding I know of Jackson Galaxy and never thought my Cat from Hell would be a topic for me. I will definitely check out his videos on You Tube. Thank you!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding I know of Jackson Galaxy and never thought my Cat from Hell would be a topic for me. I will definitely check out his videos on You Tube. Thank you!
It's a silly name and especially because it's the PEOPLE, not the cats, who are 'from hell'! Most of them are absolutely clueless and some are mean. Jackson has such excellent rapport with these people, who(m?) I'd feel like strangling, that he manages to educate them and, at least according to the show, most of them keep their cats and have much improved relationships with them! Introducing a new cat to a multi-cat family is a favorite subject of his and one that he works with frequently.

Joanna68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know what you mean about the people on there 😏 I wish I could get him to come to my house for a week!

Joanna68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I know this, but I live in the UK and doubt very much he would.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for helping that poor cat.
You really need to completely separate the new cat from the others. I know he wants to be with you, but that isn’t a good idea right now.
Every fight or negative interaction the cats have creates a learned response to the situation when it happens. Enough of that happens and you have a pattern, learned behavior.
Keep the cats separate for a couple of weeks, then start to slowly reintroduce with scent exchange and if all going well, time share of the house, but no physical conduct.
if still going well can try feeding each cat on the opposite sides of the door. It takes a while to introduce a new adult cat to an already established cat. It takes even longer when there is more than one established Cat. And longer still when there have been negative experiences you have to rebuild with good ones.

Joanna68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response, I have found this really helpful and giving me some light at the end of a long dark cat tunnel at the moment. I visited Jackson Galaxy website and tried to purchase the Ultimate Peacemaker combo, but unfortunately due to Covid restrictions they are currently not shipping to the UK. We will try what you have suggested. Thank you again.