Help. My boy has developed a knot/ swelling on his neck over a few hours. He is indoors. 19 years old .

mom2babies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been in his safe area. I can't get to vet our roads are so bad out here in country storms. It's painful to touch. IV cleaned it. And found this( photo) any one please advice please. It's soft but about the size of golf ball. Please any ideas....he hasn't been away from his area he's eating/ drinking. He was fine a few hours ago. Now has a swelling/ I don't know if he scratched it..small possibility of bug bit.

1679881244110.png

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is his health otherwise? Recent geriatric vet checkup? Any reason to think it is from a bug bite? Can you check over the area and see if there is an opening or anything that would suggest a bug bite, or a scratch/wound? What does the swelling/knot feel like?

It might be leading into an abscess since that area is painful to touch. If your cat can tolerate warm, wet compresses, you can try that on the area to try to dissipate what ever is collecting underneath the skin - multiple times a day. I won't say it will make it go away, but it might help and could even make it feel less uncomfortable. The warm compress will help improve circulation around the abscess, which can help speed up the healing process. The warm compress may also help open the abscess to facilitate draining, as that is most likely going to happen IF it is in fact an abscess brewing.

BUT - Please contact the vet and ask about all of this - they may be able to advise you via phone about what you can try at home since there are weather issues in your area. And keep monitoring his eating/drinking/behavior for changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Were you able to contact your Vet via phone today and discuss this? Unfortunately, we aren't Vets here and really can't diagnose something like this over the internet. But I must say, 19 years is super good on you! You must be a great cat guardian!

Please let us know what the Vet says, if anything. Hope he is doing ok :vibes: