Help! My 3 Months Old Kitty Show No Interest In Any Activity And Is Scared Of Everything?

Chokomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my friend s cat gave birth to 4 kitties 3 months ago. I saw her a few times before I travelled back to my
Home country. I decided to keep her. But we have a unique situation. Is that we don’t have any space at home at the moment for her so she is left mostly at the office cat house since birth most of the time and has very little interaction with humans. Unlike her sibilings, she doesn’t react to ANY toys or treats that
I try to give her. She s scared of everything even her toys. One day I just took her and put her in a small closed enclosure with nobody but me and her and tried to talk to her gently. I think maybe she opened up to me then? But she is still afraid of me.

So anyway... I took her out to interact with her today. And she doesn’t move at all or run away from my
Lap. She just stays there quietly. I also did the slow blink thing and she replied with a soft meow. I don’t know how she feels about me whether I’m threatening to her or not. Initially when I picked her up I think she was very scared that she was shivering ? But that passed quickly after I tried singing her some lullabies telling her that it’s safe. The problem
Now is that she doesn’t react to any toys at all and shows no sign of activity. I’m worried. How can I get her to feel safer and not be too scared/shy of her surroundings? I’m trying to bring her home once our situation at
Home settles. Or should I leave her at the office till we move to a bigger home too?

Sorry for bad English.

But anyway here s a pic of her staying on my lap for like an hour plus.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Not to worry, your English is good :)
Keep doing what you're doing, singing, talking to her, loving on her, she is doing very well with that.
She may be a cat that doesn't care about toys, or it may be that she simply needs more time to become comfortable enough to feel like playing. Don't stress about that, you're doing wonderfully with her.
I think wait until you have more space, she sounds as though she will need a safe place/room for herself and you, when you do bring her to your home.
She is a tender, fragile little soul, I think. I'm glad she has you, and don't feel rushed about anything. You have all the time in the world :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chokomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Not to worry, your English is good :)
Keep doing what you're doing, singing, talking to her, loving on her, she is doing very well with that.
She may be a cat that doesn't care about toys, or it may be that she simply needs more time to become comfortable enough to feel like playing. Don't stress about that, you're doing wonderfully with her.
I think wait until you have more space, she sounds as though she will need a safe place/room for herself and you, when you do bring her to your home.
She is a tender, fragile little soul, I think. I'm glad she has you, and don't feel rushed about anything. You have all the time in the world :).
Hi thank you!

She runs away when I moved
Position earlier and likes hiding in little dark corners when put in an outside open space. Does it mean she scared of her environment? I do pick her Even when she runs to her little dark corner. Will I be traumatizing her? She runs behind the stairs with a lot of junk there to hide in a corner so I feel like if I don’t
Do that I won’t have the chance to socialize with her at all. She doesn’t move much at all..

Chokomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you!

She runs away when I moved
Position earlier and likes hiding in little dark corners when put in an outside open space. Does it mean she scared of her environment? I do pick her Even when she runs to her little dark corner. Will I be traumatizing her? She runs behind the stairs with a lot of junk there to hide in a corner so I feel like if I don’t
Do that I won’t have the chance to socialize with her at all. She doesn’t move much at all..
Omg now she s sleeping on my lap! What a sweetheart

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Your kitten is a cutie pie. :catlove: And your English is fine. :)

About your kitten, I just have a few questions, before I reply with my thoughts.

How long before you expect to be able to bring her home?

Is the office that she is staying in, where you work? Are you the one who feeds her? Cleans her litter box? Can you spend some time with her every day? Maybe your lunch break? Before or after work? Kittens don't need to be around people 24/7, but they do need to be around people so that they don't become feral-like, and scared of humans.

Is she in a cage/kennel? Or does she have full run of the room? Are there toys there? A window she can look out of? Can she hear noises? Or is it quiet?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to get a better idea of her situation.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the problem is she is not being socialized to be around humans. ANY cat or kitten new to a home or different environment will act like she is, but should pass in a month with proper socialization. Just keep trying to see her as often as you can and reassure her. She has lost everything she has known and needs lots of love and reassurance. The fact that you can hold her is a great start., She needs you. She will get bolder as time goes by and she gets used to her new world. Please try to spend as much time as you can with her, and be ready for a set back when you move, she will be scared all over again, but as long as she has you, she will be alright! All the luck!

Chokomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Your kitten is a cutie pie. :catlove: And your English is fine. :)

About your kitten, I just have a few questions, before I reply with my thoughts.

How long before you expect to be able to bring her home?

Is the office that she is staying in, where you work? Are you the one who feeds her? Cleans her litter box? Can you spend some time with her every day? Maybe your lunch break? Before or after work? Kittens don't need to be around people 24/7, but they do need to be around people so that they don't become feral-like, and scared of humans.

Is she in a cage/kennel? Or does she have full run of the room? Are there toys there? A window she can look out of? Can she hear noises? Or is it quiet?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to get a better idea of her situation.
I just moved to Korea and the original cat belongs to my boyfriend s sister”s boyfriend. They own the company the cat is living at at the moment. I m not going to the office everyday at the moment. I also don’t feed it often as well only occasionally. The cats have a full room to itself with its mommy cat and daddy cat and a little sister/brother (which will be given away soon) I wanted this little shy one. So they are letting the cat stay for me. The cat lives together with two dogs. The dogs are quite loud sometimes but most
Of the time, they are quiet. It will be a temporary living space for at least a few months till I can bring it back. I’m
Talking to my bf s family to see how we can work things out to bringing it home. Cause I do know that if I don’t bring it back, it will be very hard to socialize with her as she gets older. They are a lot
Of toys at her current living space. But I’m not sure if she plays with them. When we try to play with it, the rest of the kitties pounce on the toys while she just sits in a corner.. afraid.

I let her back in the room earlier she moved volunteeringly to her mother cat while I was patting the mother cat. The mother cat licked me by the way( I took care of it when she was a baby). I was very happy! The baby also came up to me volunteeringly. It was very heartwarming.. just wondering what
I can do to help it familiarize herself with the outside environment. She is SOSO different than her brother and sisters. Something like the odd one out that doesn’t play at all and behave like them.

Chokomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the problem is she is not being socialized to be around humans. ANY cat or kitten new to a home or different environment will act like she is, but should pass in a month with proper socialization. Just keep trying to see her as often as you can and reassure her. She has lost everything she has known and needs lots of love and reassurance. The fact that you can hold her is a great start., She needs you. She will get bolder as time goes by and she gets used to her new world. Please try to spend as much time as you can with her, and be ready for a set back when you move, she will be scared all over again, but as long as she has you, she will be alright! All the luck!
The babies have always been in the cat/dog room together ever since they were born. I just moved over to a new country as well.. so I’m trying to bring her back with me to live together with my boyfriend and his sister. The house has literally 0 space. Very messy.. might need to confine her
To a space and let her out for a while everyday for at least a few months before we move to a bigger place

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her time. Interact with her more and more. Give her all the possible TLC that you can be able to provide. Soon she will open up and you will realize that you have uncovered possibly the sweetest cat.

Goodluck :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
now she s sleeping on my lap! What a sweetheart
:cloud9: this put me on a soft fluffy cloud-9 of happiness

I think she is really a shy baby, and your interactions with her are helping her a LOT!! This is WONDERFUL, and you're doing the right things :)

:vibes: :heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, that's great that she's still with her mom and siblings. That will give her more time to learn kitty manners.

Bringing her home and keeping her in a small, kitten-proofed room would be fine while she is still young. In fact, it would be safer than letting her have full run of the entire home.

Meanwhile try to visit with her when you can. Maybe leave a piece of your worn clothing, like a t-shirt, so she can get familiar with your scent.

Here's a couple TCS articles with more info for you:
First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

Next time you see her, take a picture of her, and post it here, if you can.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post