Help me with a successful introduction please!

jorahanddaenerys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am REALLY struggling with the introduction process!!
My boyfriend and I followed all of the steps to a T, but after a huge cat fight we found out our new cat was a stray who has never been seen to interact with other cats (when we had been told he got along great with other cats).
Our first cat is used to both cats and dogs and she would have been great, but after 3 weeks we FINALLY went to introduce them and the male (new) cat horrifically attacked our old cat while she tried to run away terrified. She tried to run away and he just dug his claws into her and chased her down continuously , spray bottle had no affect, throwing a blanket on him and loud noises did not phase him.
We started the process over completely with some advice and just yesterday (after 2 weeks) they saw each other through a baby gate, my female cat was hissing and ran away to hide, I also feel like he is still showing signs of aggression, I honestly feel like he would still attack her gruesomely.

please help, we are attached to both cats and are willing to do whatever it takes no matter How long it takes, we just want to avoid another bloody battle:(

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to think 3 weeks is long enough in the vast majority of instances, but some people on here have done months. I would stay at the baby gate stage until your not getting much reaction even if it takes several weeks.
No magic solution except time. The often recommended step of feeding on opposite sides of the baby gate causes a lot of people to come here stressed at the problems its causing. You can back up the food dish as far as it takes and gradually move it closer, but I don't know that this step actually does anything. Just give them time able to see each other. If seeing each other is causing them to go nuts, you can put a towel on the gate and gradually raise the towel over some number of days.

You might be at some risk of the aggressor jumping over the baby gate. Sometimes double stacked gates are needed, and some have made home made larger gates. We have pictures somewhere that we can dig out if you need them.

Ditch the spray bottle and go straight to the blanket grab and isolation if it does happen again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

The first article has a picture of several baby gates in place and I agree that I would keep that going for a while. I have only ever brought in strays or former ferals and the process can take longer in their cases.

I am not faulting you for trying the spray bottle, especially in a situation where your original cat was being seriously attacked. The problem with doing it is, among other things, you have to be present to spray the bottle so the cat associates it with your presence and the cat usually does not connect the bottle to the fact that he just did something undesireable. In his mind, there is now something new at play, a bottle, and it just adds to the mix. He may even associate it with location which would mean that, in his mind, attacking at another spot in the house is okay.

Fletcherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am REALLY struggling with the introduction process!!
My boyfriend and I followed all of the steps to a T, but after a huge cat fight we found out our new cat was a stray who has never been seen to interact with other cats (when we had been told he got along great with other cats).
Our first cat is used to both cats and dogs and she would have been great, but after 3 weeks we FINALLY went to introduce them and the male (new) cat horrifically attacked our old cat while she tried to run away terrified. She tried to run away and he just dug his claws into her and chased her down continuously , spray bottle had no affect, throwing a blanket on him and loud noises did not phase him.
We started the process over completely with some advice and just yesterday (after 2 weeks) they saw each other through a baby gate, my female cat was hissing and ran away to hide, I also feel like he is still showing signs of aggression, I honestly feel like he would still attack her gruesomely.

please help, we are attached to both cats and are willing to do whatever it takes no matter How long it takes, we just want to avoid another bloody battle:(
I feel your pain. I am currently introducing a new male cat to my resident male and female cats. It’s been two weeks and I feel like I have lost a little bit of my own life…😕!
I am so frustrated already, I know I am hoping it will be a fast and happy introduction, but no!
My new male cat is so ready to come out of his base camp and just roam free. He scratches and picks at his door at the most inconvenient hours of the night. I am at a loss as to what to do, I don’t want him getting used to me getting up at 3 am to entertain him. I am losing sleep over all of it. Ugh! But we are no where near close to a face to face introduction yet!
I pray I have the strength to continue, Bc I too do not want to regime him. He’s a love bug and I’ve grown attached already.