Help Me Understand My Boy & This Behavior

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Players:

Hannah-8 years old, spayed female.  We've had her since she was 7 mos. old, does not play well with others and would prefer to be the only cat.  Has Feline Herpes, is constantly sniffly and sneezy even with medications and treatments.

Tumbles-3 yr old, neutered male.  We've had him since he was approx. 10 wks old.  Found as a stray, most likely from a feral mom.

Daisy-2.5 yrs. old, spayed female.  We've had her since she was 1 yr. old.  She's pretty much the peacemaker and stays out of all skirmishes, but plays with Tumbles several times a day. 

The Situation:

Hannah has NEVER liked Tumbles and the 2 have barely coexisted peacefully.  When we added Daisy to the mix, we finally figured out that Hannah would prefer to be the only kitty in the house.  Over the years, Tumbles has pestered Hannah relentlessly, especially after our RB kitty, Callie, who was something of a surrogate mom to Tumbles passed away in 2010 when Tumbles was about 10 mos. old.  Over the years, Tumbles has become increasingly terroristic of Hannah.  He bothers her in the litter box.  If he doesn't want her in a room, he'll chase her out.  He will attack her, and she only knows how to hiss, growl, and wail like a banshee when he's near her or attacks her.  There has been NO bloodshed, only fur flying.  He basically would like for Hannah to not be a member of our house, but that's not going to happen.  They also vie for top cat position, which I'm sure is the root of the entire situation.  Approximately, every 2-3 days, there is a vicious aggressive outburst with Tumbles attacking Hannah.  Tumbles sulks off very repentantly and is very quiet for a day or so.  Hannah feels like she has no safe place because Tumbles has invaded every safe spot, against our best efforts to protect them.

What we Do:

1.  We run Feliway 24/7 and have for the past 8 years.  It helps, but it doesn't curtail Tumbles' aggressive outbursts completely. 

2.  I give them all Spirit Essences, Peacemaker and Safe Spaces.  I've tried Bully Remedy, but it actually makes things worse.

3.  Give each undivided attention, play time, and love.

4.  Have play time with Tumbles exclusively at least once a day.  (I'm usually at work and I'm the one who plays with him.)

5.  Try to keep to our routine.  Husband is here all day, and we notice that if he's gone outside or out running errands, Tumbles' behavior becomes more aggressive.

I will not put him on any prescription medication at this point in time.  What I really want to do is try to understand the situation and the dynamics.  There is no bond between our kitties, but they are usually peaceful to each other.  Any insights would be appreciated.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try the 'calming treats ' they sell on Amazon, they are supposed to be 'natural', they work for my aggressive one. My Casper does this exact same thing to my older Burt, they get along good and then WHAM they are rolling and the fur is flying. The only thing that seems to work is a loud 'NO' and us standing up, Casper slinks off. The dynamics changed when Daisy appeared and now Tumbles is trying to be top cat. Your Hannah sounds a lot like my Chrissy, she too preferred to be alone, and wasn't shy when the others came around, she definitely kept them in line! Chrissy ended up on top the refrigerator, that was her 'throne' and she felt safe up there and could keep others away, we put her bed and even little bowls of food and water up there. Make sure your Hannah has a 'safe' place to go, if she can defend it against Tumbles there may be more peace in the family. Maybe a cat tree? Or on top of some high furniture? Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This behavior has actually been going on long before Daisy came along.  It actually started after Callie died and Hannah didn't want to play with Tumbles. 

Hannah's safe place has always been our bedroom, but now Tumbles goes in there and bothers her.  Today's episode happened on our bed while my husband was still sleeping!  Sheesh!

We have lots of places for them to be...cat trees, lots of sleeping places of various heights, and all that stuff.  Will look into the treats.  I have to be careful with ingredients, but thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've recommended these collars in other threads:  www.calmingcollars.com   I used one to help my cat Jake deal with anxiety from going deaf.  He was yowling and seemed constantly agitated.  They can be left on 24/7 and that's what I did.  It helped tremendously.  I don't know if would help with aggression per se, but certainly helped calm him down.  (the extra small, single wide ones are cat-size)

We haven't however been able to integrate him with our resident cats.  Is there a 'safe place' where Hannah could spend most of her time--a room of her own, so to speak?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's okay most of the time.  Like after the attack this morning and he got all his aggression out, they've all been sleeping in their beds in the living room.  He's been sleeping A LOT today, which I'm wondering if it has something to do with it.  I didn't notice him sleeping as much yesterday.