Help Me Think Through This (Job/Moving Advice)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
HI everyone. I apologize in advance for the long thread.

We are in a unique situation. Before I get started, I really do not want to come across as ungrateful, because I fully recognize the privilege and sheer luck we have had over the last few months. I don't mean to sound like I am bragging- if It comes across that way, please accept my apology!

Some backstory: my now-husband (B) and I moved from outside of Charlotte, NC to middle Georgia after we graduated in 2016 due to him getting an awesome job pretty much as soon as we graduated. We have been here since. The issue is that I have not been able to find any sort of work that pays above minimum wage (this just isn't a good area for my field...we found that out the hard way). This led to a lot of issues with depression with me, which I know really affected my husband, although his nature is to be stoic and "just be happy and you'll feel better!" (:rolleyes3:)

I wound up doing a program that focused on wildlife and fisheries management, loved every second of it, and decided that that was a career path I would like to pursue- specifically, water quality and its effects on stream and river biota and habitats. Since I hadn't had any luck in the past three years of living here, we talked it over and decided that we would start applying to jobs in areas that we would like to live.

B found a job in Virginia that is doing exactly what he does now (it's a niche field). He had a phone interview and it went well. They have invited him to apply for an in-person interview.

Sounds great, right?

On a whim, I applied to literally the ONLY job I have ever seen in our area that pertains to water quality, not expecting much. Damned if they didn't offer me the job. Complete with benefits, the pay is great, it's close by the house...the whole nine yards. I was blown away. I cried.

So now- the advice part.

Obviously, with the additional income I will be generating, our household income has increased quite a bit. We live in a relative low-cost area, so that money goes quite further than it would pretty much anywhere else. Virginia is notoriously expensive and his starting salary would not be anywhere close to what he and I now make (this wasn't an issue when I didn't have a job, obviously).

So, here's my question: Should B go in for the in-person interview anyway, if anything, just to put a name to his application? He and I are brainstorming, trying to figure out the best way to professionally handle that situation. I think that him working for the Virginia company is something that we could definitely revisit in the future (I told him, "that position will eventually reopen again"), and having some experience under my belt will help for future job endeavors. B and I are both scared to death that if we did move, it would be a repeat of me not finding work for years and years, although some preliminary searches in that area suggest that I would find something much faster than I did in middle Georgia.

The smart decision would be to stay and let me gain some experience while B works at his current job. We would put some more equity in the house and not have to deal with packing, moving, etc. But...we really don't like it here. It's constantly hot (it's going to be 70 degrees on Christmas day, which is just awful) and there are no real seasons. Something blooms here 10/12 months of the year that makes B miserable. Neither of us have really been able to make consistent friends, so it's been a lonely 3 years. The area of Virginia that the job is, is in the mountains and an area that we both want to be and ultimately stay. We don't have kids yet but definitely want them. Moving would be easier now than trying to wrangle a kiddo or two and move.

I know there isn't a magic answer. I suppose I'm just writing all of this down to vent. It's been stressful in general, but also because B's dad is battling cancer and he is....stubborn, to say the least. Thanks for reading and any insight would be appreciated.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because he goes to the interview doesn't mean you guys have to take the job though. By this story alone, I would go to the interview to see how it goes (maybe he just won't like it at all), but if he ends up liking and you consider moving there, then maybe sit down together and do a pros-cons calculation and give some bonus points to each and see the result. That might help.

GOod luck to you both!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Just because he goes to the interview doesn't mean you guys have to take the job though. By this story alone, I would go to the interview to see how it goes (maybe he just won't like it at all), but if he ends up liking and you consider moving there, then maybe sit down together and do a pros-cons calculation and give some bonus points to each and see the result. That might help.

GOod luck to you both!
In his invitation email, they said they will reimburse travel expenses (which is something Georgia never did), so going there isn't the problem. I think B is more concerned about leaving a bad taste in their mouth if he goes through the whole process only to turn down an offer (should he be given an offer) which may affect his chances of working with them in the future. I personally think that him just putting a name to his face and interacting with them would be beneficial.
They are also moving stupid fast- they want him to interview before the month is out, which is almost unheard of for a government position.

Thank you for the good wishes!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think B is more concerned about leaving a bad taste in their mouth if he goes through the whole process only to turn down an offer (should he be given an offer) which may affect his chances of working with them in the future.
The point of an interview is to BOTH sides interviewing each other. I'm in my 30s and I did the mistake of seeing an interview very one-sided in my 20s. It's not. You are both interviewing each other to see if something might be possible now. Nobody knows what future will bring. Besides if he considers working for them in the future, it's possible the people who will interview or hire him will be different so this current interview will have no importance unless he decides to dance to YMCA there or something and becomes a legend.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Not sure if this would work-some couples work in different states for a few years to save up money-maybe Virginia may pay any housing costs and you stay in Georgia to work for a few years=you guys could save up money pay off your house much sooner...I have a good friend who works in NH and his wife lives in Fl. He works in the trades, often works for 2-4 years in one location then move on. He was in Texas for 3 years..Not sure how you feel about that...

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this would work-some couples work in different states for a few years to save up money-maybe Virginia may pay any housing costs and you stay in Georgia to work for a few years=you guys could save up money pay off your house much sooner...I have a good friend who works in NH and his wife lives in Fl. He works in the trades, often works for 2-4 years in one location then move on. He was in Texas for 3 years..Not sure how you feel about that...
We just got done living apart for a year...the program I did was 3.5 hours away (I lived with my mom during that time). It was hard on both of us. Virginia also wouldn't pay living expenses, and the COL up there would basically put us at a second mortgage type of monthly rent. So I'm not sure how economical that would be. Thank you for your input!

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
The point of an interview is to BOTH sides interviewing each other. I'm in my 30s and I did the mistake of seeing an interview very one-sided in my 20s. It's not. You are both interviewing each other to see if something might be possible now. Nobody knows what future will bring. Besides if he considers working for them in the future, it's possible the people who will interview or hire him will be different so this current interview will have no importance unless he decides to dance to YMCA there or something and becomes a legend.
This is very true! Fortunately my little introvert would die of embarrassment if he did something like dance so I don't think we need to worry about that :lol:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also thinking it would probably be best to stay since his dad's health is so iffy. He has time off built up and we could get to them if we need to, and we would be slightly closer to them if we stayed.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I would stay. It sounds like a wonderful life and warm weather. The mountains of Virginia sounds like it would be out in the boonies like I am now. I hate it.
"Warm weather" is very different from "breaking a sweat from 100% humidity and 100 degree heat when trying to go get your mail" ;)

Though I get what you're saying. Everyone prefers different things. Some people love the beach, which is literally the last place I would ever want to spend more than a few days. We crave more moderate temps and we both love to hike, which isn't an option where we are now. The boonies sound great- hiking, fishing, solitude.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
"Warm weather" is very different from "breaking a sweat from 100% humidity and 100 degree heat when trying to go get your mail" ;)

Though I get what you're saying. Everyone prefers different things. Some people love the beach, which is literally the last place I would ever want to spend more than a few days. We crave more moderate temps and we both love to hike, which isn't an option where we are now. The boonies sound great- hiking, fishing, solitude.
I love the boonies and hear you about the beach-not a fan of sand-it's annoying and hard to walk in..give me lakes and rivers anyday.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was him I'd call them back and thank them for the opportunity, and explain that another opportunity opened up for you closer to home and you'll be taking that rather than uproot the family and move to another state. That will go over much better than him taking the trip for an interview for a job he already knows he may well not be taking.

You are both still young and getting a good paying job in such a small field is a very good opportunity for you, so unless you hate the area you live in so much that you're miserable just getting up in the morning it's by far the better option.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This is a really tough one. I'm guessing you are fairly young since you graduated in 2016. On one hand I say pull up stakes and move while you can before you settle in and make a lot of ties, but on the other hand, you really need some experience if you want to work in this field. Since his father's health is iffy, it might be better to stay for now.

I'd probably have him call and turn down the interview, explaining that it isn't best right now, but he would consider taking a position with them when the time is right.

I would melt in Georgia though, so I hear you there.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who gave their input! B called them today and cancelled, and made sure to express his interest in employment at a later date. I know there wasn't a "right" answer to the situation. We both think that me gaining some real experience is worth more than moving at this time. We can stick out the heat for a few more years, get some more equity in the house, and readdress moving later. It's just something to work towards and have long term goals. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever lived out in the country? I would go visit first, before moving permanently.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you made the right decision. Sounds as though they liked your husband so maybe something else
will be available in the future. Good luck on your new job.