Help! Kitten Meowing At Night In Forest

Barnafus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live on 20 acres of forest. 2 nights ago my husband heard a kitten meowing and then last night I heard it non stop, I called to it and he meowed back. i put out some food and the kitten came on my porch but ran off when I opened the door. I heard the meows for maybe 30 mins after that further away. I left some wet food mixed with water and some tuna out last night. (my dog may have got to it this morning so I cant tell if it was touched) I went out this morning and nothing no meowing. Is it common they only Meow at night? how do I trap him tonight if I have the chance. He looks super small.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Barnafas, welcome to TCS :wave3:

The kitten might have been abandoned by its mother and likely to be very hungry.

Did you see him again in the morning? Hope that he’s still around and safe.
It’ll be good if you could trap him and bring him indoors and get him to the vet for vaccinations and best is you can keep him.

Do keep us posted of your plans :wink:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not leave food out over night as you will attract too many other unwanted critters. I would set the trap with some very stinky tuna, mackeral, salmon, etc... Be sure to leave a trail of the food ( just tiny bits or some of the oil/liquid) heading to the back of the trap. I like to line my traps with puppy pee pads, but news papers will do too.

Be sure that you are watching for the trap to go off. You do not want to leave a kitten alone over night in a trap outside. If you do catch the kitten at night, be sure that you cover the trap and put him in a safe location away from noise, bright lights and other animals. I usually house the trapped cat in my basement. Be sure to cover the trap with a light sheet or blanket as this will help the cat to calm down.

Hopefully you can then transport the kitten to the vet in the morning.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live near a Humane Society, Animal Friends, or major veterinary clinic, they can lend or rent you very cheaply a Humane trap. Or you can purchase one at Tractor Supply for about $20. You can leave dry food out on your porch during the day and Wildlife will likely not disturb it. I wouldn't advise leaving food out unsupervised at night though because it will attract raccoons which are very difficult to get rid of once they start coming. Tonight when you put food out, watch from the window and observe and don't try to approach the cat. After a few days speak softly to the cat from a distance through a window. Kittens, even feral ones, are easy to socialize though it will take some patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barnafus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have been out twice today all around and nothing! I feel terrible, I didn't do more last night. I have tuna on the porch now. I am hoping he will return this evening. We were outside all day yesterday and I never heard him until 9ish.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
i have been out twice today all around and nothing! I feel terrible, I didn't do more last night. I have tuna on the porch now. I am hoping he will return this evening. We were outside all day yesterday and I never heard him until 9ish.
:alright: Good luck. We once heard a kitten loudly meowing outside at about 10:30 one night. We went downstairs and tracked down a little orange fluffball by flashlight under one of the cars in our parking lot. We tried to lure it out but it ran quick as lightening to the back of the apartment still loudly calling. We left some food out and went inside to see if any resources were available to help us but at that time of night there weren't. We got up early the next day to call APL but the kitten had vanished. Hopefully mama or its owners located it.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope and pray you can find the little kitten and help her. All we can do is everything that we can do, and even then, we can't save every cat no more matter how badly we want to. I know I advised against leaving cat food out at night, but under the present circumstances, leave some dry cat food out on your porch tonight. Perhaps she will show up. It often takes raccoons and other wildlife several days or even weeks to find food left out on a porch, so you should be fine leaving food out for her the next few nights. I truly hope it works out for her and for you.