HELP!!! Is it ok?

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got 2 cats they malt heaps they don't like getting brushed I don't like brushing then I have a domestic short hair but it's really thick her names Maple , then Trinint my domestic short hair but I can tell she's got Persian in her her hair is also thick, they malt everywhere I'm always covered in cat fur my bed is my carpet and couch is and it floats in the air I don't have the time to spend 30 mins brushing trinity outside everyday which I know is what I should do because of her fur length and thickness, I would like to get her fur trimmed and her shaved around the bottom as she get dags (eww) and maple is my short hair but it's really thick she also malts A lot I want to know if it would be wrong to get it slightly thinned out? I love my cats there my children before I have children but the malting is getting too much would it be wrong to get the least grooming as possible to make there cat fur and malting more manageble

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have cats; hair generally comes with the territory. 
  Unless you go for a breed like the Rex or Sphinx; in which case, sweaters might be necessary when it's cold!  Do you live in a climate that is warm year round?  If not; then I would definitely not get even the long haired cat trimmed.  Some people do in the beginning of summer.  A groomer can help you get the current mats out of your long haired kitty; but a quick regular brushing will help prevent them.  They can be uncomfortable for your kitty.

If you groom your cats regularly; it generally takes less time.  Also; if it's done regularly they begin to see it as a good thing.  The type of brush you use makes a difference as well.  This article has some good information:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/grooming-your-cats-coat

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take them to a groomer who is willing to work on cats. I know quite a few people who take their cat to a groomer once every 4-6 weeks---really the only obstacle is whether you're willing to pay for it. A cat-experienced groomer knows how to do it without the cat getting too upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Australia so it's summer here and would be quite hot and yes I have a groomer who has washed them before, I wouldn't get them groomed every 4-6 wks and not in winter but during that time a groom every blue moon will really help with manage there malting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There booked in for the groomers I can't wait I'm not going to let them trim to much I want there fur to grow long enough for winter on bout 4 months time