help I just feed my cat baby food with onions in it !!!! please help

milosmom123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray cat that i brought into my home and he will eat his cat food and then go a whole 2 days without wanting to eat so i will give him milk and baby food but i was in a hurry today and by mistake gave him baby  food with onions in it
will he be okay please let me know i love my fur baby so much and cant bear the thought of anything happening to him

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that onions are an accumulative kind of toxin---as in, he either needs a really high dose or frequent exposure to low doses. So a one-time low dose will probably not be too bad. Here's a poison hotline info sheet so you know what symptoms to look out for: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/onion/

What brand was it? So others can avoid it.

Now, him not eating on a regular basis is kind of concerning. What do you feed him? Has he been to the vet?

Last edited:

maneki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Onion in all forms -- powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated -- can break down a cat's red blood cells, leading to anemia. I'm assuming there was onion powder that was in the baby food. An occasional small dose probably won't hurt, but eating a large quantity once or eating smaller amounts regularly can cause onion poisoning. There are several types of baby food with onion powder in them, so giving us the name of the brand would help.

The real thing that concerns me is the fact that he eats and then goes a whole 2 days (which is 48 hours) without eating.   People can go a week without eating. Cats cannot. Their bodies do not work the same way people's do, and to prevent their liver from having problems, food MUST be moving through their system. 48 hours is about the longest they can go without problems. He needs to be eating at least half of his daily need to prevent the worst from happening, and the worst is that his liver stops working (hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver disease). 

First of all, I would definitely schedule a vet appointment ASAP about this. Your vet can maybe help diagnose what's the cause of him not eating - at this point, maybe a blood test would be best. But please ask your vet.

Have you tried everything? All his favorites---tuna, cooked chicken, etc.? If so, and he still won't eat anything, you do NEED to assist feed him. You can look up videos of how to do it on YouTube. You have to be careful he doesn't get any into his lungs. You can use chicken or turkey baby food (read the ingredients and make sure it doesn't have anything but meat in it. . .Beechnut is a good brand. (Especially avoid onion or garlic) or you can puree cooked chicken in a food processor or blender, or you can get some Hills Prescription a/d from the vet (it's made especially for assist feeding). 

Please keep us updated. I'm sorry about your kitty. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milosmom123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well Milo seems to be just fine but I'm still going to take him to the vet as for what he's eating he will drink milk eat turkey ,tuna but hardly any of his cat food which is an off brand cat food (all i can afford at this time) and baby food  it's Gerber turkey,rice and vegetables. he will eat his cat food  but then the next day he wont so i give him bits of the human food and milk  but I'm stilled worried why won't he eat his food on a regular