Help! I did something really dumb...

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
So last time I made a raw batch I decided that I would put my grinder parts in the dishwasher because I was too tired to wash them. Well... you’re not supposed to do that. :headshake:

I took my grinder out tonight to make a batch and it was covered in black stuff... I’m thinking soot. I ended up making the entire batch chunked and I have a lot more respect now for those of you who do all chunked batches.:sweat:

Anyway... any ideas on how to get the soot off my grinder parts? It’s the Tasin one...if that matters....:ohwell:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, no! Did you buy it from One Stop Jerky Shop? You could contact them and see if they have any suggestions.

I have a Tasin, too. Although I love it, cleaning it really is the worst part for me. But now I know not to put the parts in the dishwasher!

Do you have a food processor? When I started making cat food, I used my food processor. Laborious way to make food for three cats but it worked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Here's what happens when I wipe it with a damp paper towel.

402D0B37-2CD4-467E-B283-E0C2552A7000.jpeg

There’s so much black funk coming off!
JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia does this look like oxidation to you? Thanks for the tip about vinegar, I will try it.
Tobermory Tobermory good idea to try contacting the jerky shop. I really hope it can be salvaged, otherwise that’s $200 down the drain. :(
I feel so stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes it does look like oxidation. See if soaking in vinegar helps. Do not use bleach !
They actually make polishing compound for removing oxidation from stainless steel & aluminium. You did not damage anything. At worst you may have to actually clean & polish - possibly with a soft wire brush.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you try re-washing the parts by hand with dish soap? I just re-read the instruction manual and it says not to use bleach or other harsh cleaners, just dish soap.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all - yes I did try washing it with soap and water, it's very difficult to get off (kind of sticky).
I will send an email to the jerky shop and let you guys know what they say and what ends up working (I'm being optimistic that somethign will work).

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
it's very difficult to get off (kind of sticky).
Huh. That seems odd. There must be some kind of coating on it. Perhaps the heat from the drying cycle of the dishwasher softened it. :confused2:

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aluminum reacts with dishwashing detergent,I believe it is from the bleach that is used in detergents for dishwashers.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aluminum reacts with dishwashing detergent,I believe it is from the bleach that is used in detergents for dishwashers.
You are so right! I was curious about this so googled it. The results (there were nearly 19 million for searching "aluminum" and "dishwasher" as separate words) even included a photo of... a grinder! Here's the link that went with that, which includes this unhappy sausage maker's cleaning suggestions.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
You are so right! I was curious about this so googled it. The results (there were nearly 19 million for searching "aluminum" and "dishwasher" as separate words) even included a photo of... a grinder! Here's the link that went with that, which includes this unhappy sausage maker's cleaning suggestions.
THANK YOU THANK YOU! This is exactly what I need!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
So the jerky shop wrote me back and said that the parts cannot be repaired or polished and that I should order new parts... :(

I think I might just do that only because I worry about not getting all of the black gunk off and somehow poisoning my cats.. it's just not worth it.

Luckily the parts aren't as expensive as the entire thing. Sigh.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
So the jerky shop wrote me back and said that the parts cannot be repaired or polished and that I should order new parts... :(

I think I might just do that only because I worry about not getting all of the black gunk off and somehow poisoning my cats.. it's just not worth it.

Luckily the parts aren't as expensive as the entire thing. Sigh.
Dang it. I was afraid of that. I wouldn’t use them either. Small consolation to you, but your mishap refreshed my memory about not putting the parts in the dishwasher.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
As long as my stupidity is helping others. :crazy::lol:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Eek! I'm still trying to finish breaking myself of that habit!
:lol: All is not lost. Here’s the word from the Insinkerator garbage disposal people:

“There is often the question of using a disposal for eggshells and coffee grounds. In fact, neither of these materials is harmful to a disposal, and will pass through it without a problem. However, problems can arise with household plumbing – especially if it is older, or has not been cleared in some time.​

“Both coffee grounds and eggshells are sedimentary in nature, if too much is placed in at one time, or if the plumbing is restricted, it can create a clog or a ‘slow drain’ situation. Too help avoid any problems, feed these materials into the disposer gradually, and utilize a strong flow of cold water to help flush it through the pipes.”​

In our case, we were in an older house that hadn’t been well maintained by previous owners. We just moved to a new place, but I’m still not risking it! Just think how much more fun you could have with $100 than to give it to a plumber!