HELP! I caught her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, y'all, for all the great feedback.

SweetPea came home with me from the vet's late yesterday afternoon. The vet who did the surgery said she had been injured longer than we initially thought - at least two weeks. So the surgery was more involved because the broken/mis-aligned bones had started to fuse together. It was alot of work to align the bones, re-attach the nerves and muscles. There is some concern about whether it will grow together right. But we will just have to wait and see. She is "making biscuits" with both front paws and putting just a little bit of weight on her bad leg.
So that is very positive. She looks kinda rough cause her whole right front side is shaved and has a big area of black stitches.

Because the surgery was so much more involved (than we initially thought) it was half again as much $$$ as they originally estimated.
I have lost my mind, I think.

We go back in 10 days to get the stitches removed. Everyone at the vet's office said SweetPea is so sweet and hungry for affection. I have to keep her quiet - it's supposed to be in an area the size of a large dog crate or so - for up to 6 weeks. And give her 3 kinds of medication for the first week.

She is pretty funny when I go in the bedroom where she is in the very large carrier. She hisses - with her tiny all white fur body and little pink mouth it is rather funny now that I know she won't bite. She hisses but as soon as I open the door to give her food or medicine she starts purring. And purrs and purrs and purrs!!!! SweetPea is really hungry for love.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwwwww she sure does sound like a love

have you lost your mind? haha possibly - but who's heart wouldnt melt for such a sweet girl? I think your amazing for giving this girl everything she deserves - thankyou for loosing your mind

love the updates - cant wait to hear of her future progress with you and I sure do hope the leg heals up perfectly

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SweetPea is eating pretty well. She is having diarrhea this afternoon. We think it's cause of the anti-biotics and the stress of everything.

The vet (the on-call vet who also did the surgery - regular vet is out of town now) said to give her Kaopectate. I did NOT do that cause of the warnings I've read on this board. He also said to give her good quality yogurt and some regular pumpkin. I gave her both of those and will see what happens now.

Was that the right thing to do? He was quite definite that I should give her 2.5 ccs Kaopectate today and 1 cc Kaopectate 3 times daily till the diarrhea is gone. It seems like alot in any case. I decided to see how much the yogurt and pumpkin helps.

Here is a gross question. How do I clean the towels and cat bed/cushion that were messed up with the diarrhea? Soak them in an old plastic tub before putting in the washer? Seems like I should know the answer to this but I do not. Thanks for any help.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jean absolutely DO NOT give the kaopectate. Your vet must not know they changed the formula and added aspirin to the mix. I would boil up some rice for her as well, and boil it in a no-salt chicken broth (look for organic) and see if she eats the rice as it will bind her up.

Take a small bucket and fill it halfway with hot water and some Dreft laundry detergent. Take an old broomstick and swirl the blankets and bedding into the water, after a 10 minute soak, take the bedding out and put it in fresh hot water, then wring out *use gloves obviously* and then wash the bedding-

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

thankyou for loosing your mind
Huggles, thanks for a good laugh! I needed one.

Hissy, thanks very much for the info. I will not NOT give the Kaopectate at all. How often can I give her 1 tsp of yogurt - it is all natural plain yogurt with acidophilus. TIA.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SweetPea is doing great. The diarrhea isn't nearly as bad. I gave her yogurt again this evening. She still hisses when I first come into the room - maybe it's a habit now - but then she purrs almost the whole time I'm giving her food and medicine. SweetPea likes to headbutt my hand and loves to have her chin scratched. She keeps putting a bit of weight on the bad leg so I hope that means it's healing right.

This is a picture of the stray I adopted two months ago tomorrow - we think she and SweetPea are littermates -

Her name is Angel and her nickname is Pretty Girl cause I always tell her she's such a pretty girl!!!! SweetPea will look exactly like her when she's healed and fattened up a little bit. SweetPea is just a scrawny little thing.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

I believe it is best not to touch the head in the beginning - raised hand/paw is threating. Stroke on the back instead. Or even on chin or lower jaw.

and you know the classical; dont look to much at her, look besides. If you look, halfclose the eyes. Do yawn like friendly cats do. Stretch yourselv like friendly cats do.
Stefanz, I agree with you. This little kitty seems to be an exception. She has always wanted her head petted from the first day.

I will remember to yawn and stretch like friendly cats do.

kittycity81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
JeanW I think it so great what you did for this cat! We need more people like you in this world...I myself am a animal lover but there is only but so much we as one person can do.It hurts to know that we can't help all of the stray kitties we see..But keep up the good work and we will be rewarded one day!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwww look at gorgeous Angel
she is soooo very pretty!!!

so pleased to hear that sweetpea is doing a little better now - she sure does sound like a sweet girl!

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to update y'all on SweetPea. She is doing GREAT!!! We went to the vet two weeks ago for a follow-up on her leg surgery. After x-rays, my vet said her leg looks FANTASTIC! It is healing really well.

They will have to take out the rod that's in there and there's one very small piece of bone that may not be attaching and may have to come out. SweetPea uses her leg quite a bit, jumps, walks, stretches, scratches and makes biscuits. She looks healthier all the time.

Here's the surprising part. SweetPea was so malnourished when she came to my house. We didn't realize she was pregnant!!! She gave birth to a tiny gold kitten on Friday morning! (There is a big ole ugly gold tomcat in the nieghborhood and I imagine that's probably where the gold kitty came from.) SweetPea is being a good Mama kitty and I'm so glad she's not out in the wild injured, starving and giving birth to a baby!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JeanW

Just want to update y'all on SweetPea. She is doing GREAT!!! We went to the vet two weeks ago for a follow-up on her leg surgery. After x-rays, my vet said her leg looks FANTASTIC! It is healing really well.

They will have to take out the rod that's in there and there's one very small piece of bone that may not be attaching and may have to come out. SweetPea uses her leg quite a bit, jumps, walks, stretches, scratches and makes biscuits. She looks healthier all the time.

Here's the surprising part. SweetPea was so malnourished when she came to my house. We didn't realize she was pregnant!!! She gave birth to a tiny gold kitten on Friday morning! (There is a big ole ugly gold tomcat in the nieghborhood and I imagine that's probably where the gold kitty came from.) SweetPea is being a good Mama kitty and I'm so glad she's not out in the wild injured, starving and giving birth to a baby!
I'm so glad she's doing so well, and that her leg is healing well! Well that's quite a surprise you got! Thank goodness she's under your care!

Does she feel more comfortable in the house now, and adjusting to life with humans?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for doing the right thing for this kitty! I'm sure once she's all healed up she would thank you if she could

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Does she feel more comfortable in the house now, and adjusting to life with humans?
Yes, SweetPea seems to really be adjusting well. She doesn't hiss at me any more.
And lately she comes out from under the round table skirt (where she hides with her baby) when she hears me come in the room. She wants some food treats and some affection and then she scoots back under there to be with her kitty.