Help For Increasingly Aggressive Cat

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize in advance – this is long, but I believe necessary to give everyone a complete picture.

To give you some history, I adopted two cats, Charm in March 2014 (2 yrs. at the time) and Molly in September 2015 (4 ½ yrs.). Both cats are extremely sweet, loving and would gladly sit in your lap all day if that were possible. Charm has always tried to engage Molly in play, even after being swatted by Molly in response. It surprises me that after four years she continues to try to get Molly to play.

I noticed early on that Molly was showing some signs of aggression, mainly when I was getting their food ready. It escalated so much that I began putting Molly in the bedroom while preparing their food and letting her out after I’d put their bowls on their trays. (They each have their own.) This seemed to deter her aggression initially but in a few days it would start again. During the last few months Molly’s aggression became extreme even when it was not feeding time and I felt for Charm’s safety it was necessary to keep them in separate spaces. It had gotten to the point where Charm was hiding in the corner of our bedroom between some boxes ALL day. We have enough space that it’s been possible to provide each cat with a comfortable amount of room in separate parts of the house.

Molly’s become increasingly unhappy in her space. She began expressing her upset by urinating on things. Two weeks ago, she accidentally escaped and chased Charm around the house. When Charm ran up the cat tree to get away from her, Molly ran up behind her and attacked her viciously. Charm became terrified at even the slightest noise.

Molly is demanding my attention throughout the day by howling unless I sit with her. Molly’s in an area comprising two master bedrooms, bathrooms with a spacious hall and open area where she has a bed with a view of a birdfeeder that we bought for her. I spend most of the day with her. Charm has an equal amount of space between the living & dining rooms, the kitchen and the foyer.

I’m able to close off one of the bedrooms that has a door leading to the rest of the house. We’ve developed a routine where I spend some time with Charm in the morning, most of the day with Molly and before bedtime I open the bedroom to the rest of the house for Charm and Molly has the remaining space. Charm and I usually spend a few hours together and she sleeps with me. Molly is getting more quality time, but Charm has relaxed, and her sweet personality is returning.

From the start Charm allowed Molly to exert her dominance, and her behavior (except for feeding time) was within what I considered normal limits. I’m hoping to find a way to stop Molly’s aggressiveness and restore peace to the household.

It’s important to note that both cats have some health issues. Both were grossly obese when I adopted them, with Charm upwards of 22 lbs. and Molly 15.5+ lbs. Charm is a larger framed cat and Molly’s built more like a Siamese. Both have been on weight-loss diets and Charm is now just over 14 lbs., while Molly’s down to an ideal weight of 8.5 lbs.

Both cats have digestive issues and allergies, and they’re on medications for them. Molly has been diagnosed with IBD, or possibly GI cancer. Determining which would require surgery. One of my last cats, Luke had GI cancer. Molly’s symptoms differ from his, but I’ve found mast cell tumors on her body, which raises concerns in my mind since that’s what took over Luke’s digestive tract. She has responded well to Prednisolone. Charm has asthma, which has not responded to treatment.

A friend suggested that maybe Molly’s become less tolerant as she’s gotten older. I’ve wondered if perhaps she’s not feeling as well as she acts since cats do tend not to show how sick they really are until they’re practically on their death beds. Or maybe it’s both…. Thoughts, ideas, help anyone?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bless you, you've done an awesome job being able to help Charm!
I don't know, but would a different vet be a thought for Molly?

Would music help? There's classical harp music, or musicforcats . com.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve wondered if perhaps she’s not feeling as well as she acts since cats do tend not to show how sick they really are until they’re practically on their death beds.
Unfortunately, I'm leaning towards that. Could you bring her to the vet and see if pain medications would help your situation? I think you should let the vet do a thorough examination on her just to see how her health issues have progressed. Even without the surgery to confirm if there is cancer, the vet should be able to assess how much pain she is in. Perhaps the tumors on her are painful and could be removed?
I'm so sorry about your kitties health, but so glad they have you to care for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Bless you, you've done an awesome job being able to help Charm!
I don't know, but would a different vet be a thought for Molly?

Would music help? There's classical harp music, or musicforcats . com.
Hi Furballsmom & Jem - Thank you for your responses and for your thoughtful suggestions. I've recently changed vets. The new vet is the one who diagnosed Charm with asthma. She has coughed and wheezed since I adopted her. Initially, I thought she was coughing because of hairballs, but she has not spit any up in a long time and previous vets have basically brushed my concerns aside.

I had a wonderful vet for the girls and unfortunately she recently moved away from the area. One of her suggestions for helping the girls feel fuller while on diets was to add a 1/2 tsp of psyllium to their food. I mix it with water and has the added effect of assuring they have plenty to drink. It has really helped a lot and has had the added benefit of eliminating hairballs. (Guess it helps the fur move on through the GI system) I haven't been very happy with the remaining vets in the practice, except the new one seems to be very caring and knowledgeable.

After trying lots of different medications, she prescribed the Prednisolone for Molly, which I mentioned in the original post. It has worked well for her, but as luck would have it, right after posting Molly had another episode of diarrhea and vomiting. Music might help soothe her. There's been some recent strife in the house that has affected both cats and music may be a way to calm them both. Molly mostly wants to be held and petted. Charm does too, which has been hard because Molly cries when I leave her alone.

I have been very vigilant with having the girls examined. Both have had complete physicals and blood work recently. The main reason I changed vets is that the place I was using became so busy I was not able to have my cats seen for several days when there has been a problem. The last two experiences with them caused me to make the decision immediately.

Molly began exhibiting signs that she was having tooth pain about 3 weeks after her physical. The vet's office acted insulted, saying that surely a tooth problem would have shown up on the exam, and they discouraged me from bringing her in. Unfortunately I followed their advice until pain was causing her to have trouble eating. When they finally saw her, not only was her tooth infected, but it had spread to her jaw. They had to remove the tooth, part of her jaw beyond the infection on either side and a portion of her palate, then stitch her back together again. I still feel guilty for having listened to them and for putting her through that.

Back in June, Charm started showing signs of a tooth problem as well. Because I had already scheduled a dental appointment for July, they said I needed to wait and that they didn't have any available appointments until then anyway. That's when I changed vets. She did have problems with her teeth and 3 had to be removed. Both cats have had repeated exams and blood work and I've been assured by both the old vets and the new ones that everything is normal.

Unfortunately mast cell tumors in the digestive tract can't be detected by physical exam. In order to have my last cat, Luke, diagnosed he had to go to a specialized clinic, where they strapped him down on his back and inserted needles in his abdomen to aspirate some of the cells. He started developing external mast cell tumors at the age of one. That's very early, as I believe the average age is around eight.

It was rough for him but he was such a good boy and they allowed me to stay in the room to comfort him during the procedure. He had been feral and was afraid of anyone he didn't know, but it almost seemed he understood that they were trying to help him. He remained so calm. While they were very kind and as gentle as possible, I will never put another cat through that again.

Also, if they are not removed properly, mast cell tumors can "degranulate" (or basically break into tiny fragments) and seed themselves around the body. When I discovered them on Molly, I made the decision not to have them removed because I believe that having them removed on Luke caused them to spread. While the end result is usually the same, having them degranulate speeds up the process and I don't want to risk that again.

Oh look, I've written another mini novel. I'm sorry to go on like this. I have so many concerns regarding both of my cats and it's so nice to have objective opinions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry to go on like this. I have so many concerns regarding both of my cats and it's so nice to have objective opinions.
No worries at all about writing down your concerns and thoughts. That's a big part of why we're here, and our shoulders are made to help carry even a little bit of the load, because it's really hard sometimes. :vibes::hugs:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the music helps :crossfingers:

This might sound odd because they are usually for lonely kittens, but in addition to music, would a heartbeat toy help Molly so that she's hopefully a little less upset when you leave her?

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Furballsmom - Thank you. That helps. I've never heard of a heartbeat toy. Are they available anywhere or do they need to be specially ordered? I've been letting her lie on the heating pad, set on #1 and that seems to comfort her. Maybe both together would be extra soothing.

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I did a search and got one from Chewy. Needed to get some other stuff from them & they had the best price on the one I wanted. :lol2:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to apologize, I've written my fair share of novels as well.:D
I hope that some of the suggestions help to ease your kitties.
The music really does help, I've done it for one of my boys and it made a difference.
Also, I have used these treats to help with my cats who've had anxiety and stress issues. They worked well.

Calming | Head to Tail Pet Supplements

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I'll look for the calming treats. Molly loves the heartbeat heart. She has a round fuzzy 'nest' and I put it in there. She lays in it and it seems to calm her. :yummy:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats usually chnage behaviors and become aggressive when they are in pain. You might try some kind of mild pain medication, and trying a calming treat would not hurt. I pray everything turns out, please come here ANYTIME you want to talk or need a shoulder. You will be blessed for your wonderful care and the love you give these little ones!

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Cats usually chnage behaviors and become aggressive when they are in pain. You might try some kind of mild pain medication, and trying a calming treat would not hurt. I pray everything turns out, please come here ANYTIME you want to talk or need a shoulder. You will be blessed for your wonderful care and the love you give these little ones!
Hi Di & Bob,

Thank you for your encouraging words.She is a special needs cat. She's allergic to chicken, which is in practically everything, including fish, turkey, tuna, whatever in the form of chicken broth, if not chicken itself. She's doing well on a mix of Purina sensitive skin & stomach and Vital Essentials freeze dried raw food.

The vet put her on Prednisolone, which has helped her to an unbelievable degree. She rarely vomits or has diarrhea anymore - maybe once or twice a month at most. When she has those tummy upsets she take prilosec.

Most of her aggression was around food, though it had picked up lately. She was a feral baby and I believe that fighting for her food became deeply ingrained in her behavior. After being rescued, the foster parents used to put down large plates of food for all of the cats to share, and I really believe that encouraged fighting for her food to continue.

While it's not ideal, the arrangement is working for the time being. I'm not sure she is in pain. I'm pretty tuned in to both my cats and she has had three thorough exam since February, including . Early on she expressed her upset at being limited to half the house by urinating on things, primarily my husband's things. Because of that he wants her out of the house, even though she hasn't eliminated inappropriately in a couple of weeks now. I know that his emotional vibe is affecting her and she doesn't understand why he's angry. It breaks my heart to even think of rehoming her.

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
No need to apologize, I've written my fair share of novels as well.:D
I hope that some of the suggestions help to ease your kitties.
The music really does help, I've done it for one of my boys and it made a difference.
Also, I have used these treats to help with my cats who've had anxiety and stress issues. They worked well.

Calming | Head to Tail Pet Supplements

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately these contain chicken and Molly's allergic to chicken. I checked some of the other brands and they also contain chicken. The only thing I've found that doesn't are supplements like ashwagandha, valerian root, etc. I'm very hesitant to use herbal supplements on my cats because I don't believe they've been thoroughly tested. I'm familiar with and have used the Feliway products. They seem to help, so maybe I'll give them a try for both cats. I believe each is stressed in her own way.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Early on she expressed her upset at being limited to half the house by urinating on things, primarily my husband's things.
I just reread your post and this caught my eye. She is probably trying to blend scents with hubby. She feels rejected. If hubby starts to try and connect with her, (play, feed) you may notice a difference in her behavior.
I know that his emotional vibe is affecting her and she doesn't understand why he's angry.
Exactly..
I think (not trying to be pushy, or meddle with your personal life) you need to have a good talk with hubby and explain that he may be contributing to the problem, and has to shift his attitude and try and bond with kitty.
Dealing with a cat who urinates inappropriately is hard, I think we've all bee thru it to some degree. But if he can push the re-set button and bond with her, everyone will be netter for it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jem has a good point about your husband, he can make a difference here. Ask him to have compassionate, healing thoughts about her rather than frustrated angry thoughts. That's better for his blood pressure anyway :)

There might be something here in this list of calming products. Of this list, I don't know which have the ingredients you want to avoid, I was just thinking maybe there is one you weren't familiar with, beyond feliway (thunderease and sentry also have calming diffusers) that would help.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil), if this would be acceptable.

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, --Sentry calming collar might work, there's Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Last edited:

Lfehr

Charm & Molly
Kitten
Purraise
I got some Feliway spray and a collar. When I used them the results were immediate! My husband & I were both shocked. She'd been howling nonstop, and her crying stopped instantly, then she settled and laid down in her bed.

She only urinated inappropriately twice and that was very early on in her confinement. I believe it was her way of rebelling initially. But she howls nonstop if I don't sit with her, which has been difficult all around.

My husband seems to have lightened up but if anything happens that he sees as negative he'll be threatening to take her to the pound again. I'm hoping he'll stay subdued as far as Molly goes. But even if he does, that doesn't address the bigger issue of having two cats living in duel universes with me torn between them. It's extremely hard being tied to the bedroom suite area with Molly, trying to give Charm good quality attention and getting things done either around or outside of the house.

Molly's normally very clingy, but she is now more than ever. She and I are very attached and while it would be excruciating to rehome her, I believe she'd be much happier in an environment where she could roam freely. Given her personality though, she'd probably do best in a home where she's the only cat.

I'm not optimistic though. She's 8 years old and is a special needs cat. She's allergic to chicken and nearly all food on the market contains chicken. I only know of two brands of food that don't contain chicken or chicken broth, and they are expensive. She's also got IBD and is on meds too. Fortunately a bottle lasts about 3 months, so it works out to only about $20/month.