Help Cutting Cat's Claws

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2yo DSH rescue that we brought to our home three months ago. Amongst his various issues, he is very specific about where and when he wants to be touched. Head and chin scratches are okay but anywhere else on his body he will get immediately upset about. He will come lay in my lap occasionally but he does not want to be touched while there.

His nails are getting insanely long and I've spent the last month attempting to prep him for cutting. I try to touch and massage his front feet as often as I can but 95% of the time, he will attempt to bite to interrupt the touch immediately. Even doing this while he is sleeping will immediately wake him up and lead to him nipping the air with his teeth in warning.

I have attempted to distract him with treats or mayo on his nose, but he doesn't get sufficiently distracted: guarding his body seems to be his #1 priority.

I can keep bringing him to the groomer to have them trimmed (heaven knows how they are getting the job done), but I'd rather figure out how to do this myself and avoid expensive trimmings. What can I do? The groomer said something about an eye blindfold that she uses - is that a possibility?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I sympathize with you in trying to trim your cat's claws. I adopted my Ruby 4 1/2 years ago, and she still hates me trying to trim her claws. She is a lap cat, and lovable, but hates having her toes touched, or being restrained in any way. So I manage to get a tip of a claw clipped every so often.

The vet techs did it once, but of course they had to restrain her, and it wasn't much easier for them than it is for me. So you're lucky the groomer is able to do your cat's claws. But, I know, it would be so much easier to do it yourself.

Wish I had advice for you. But did want to post and let you know you're not alone in the "so hard to trim cat's claws" club. :catlove:

You probably already read this, but in case you haven't, here's the TCS article on How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks. Even just knowing that this isn't a unique problem is helpful. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm. The groomer won't let you observe? This isn't a body wrap she's doing but something just for the head?
See if they'll let you watch next time.
It took a long time but I'm finally able to clip my boy's claws, had to get reptile clippers to handle the job LoL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, great! Thanks so much! The muzzle/blindfold is worth a try, though I think even getting it on him is going to be a challenge in and of itself. ;)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My big problem with nail trimmings is that my cats are both squirmers, and have figured out that bracing with their hind legs and doing a twist and roll is a good escape method. Even though I'm on to them and manage to hold on, it pretty much derails any nail clipping.

Getting Juniper when she's sleepy has helped. I did try the 'kitty burrito' method of wrapping up her hind legs in a towel, but that actually seemed to make it harder to hold onto her when she wiggled, and of course I needed to clip those back nails, too!

She currently needs a nail trim and I've been dreading it. ugh.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, great! Thanks so much! The muzzle/blindfold is worth a try, though I think even getting it on him is going to be a challenge in and of itself. ;)
I bought a cat muzzle to allow my former vet to take blood from one of my cat, but after three or four times I decided to give up because I saw that my cat had trouble breathing and got very scared from that experience.
Taking blood was a few seconds thing and she would go in hyperventilation easily. I cannot immagine what would have happened if she had to wear the muzzle for the whole time of claws clipping.
I still have it, but I'm not using it anymore!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've noticed that there are instructions mentioning not leaving these on the cat very long, that's true. I found a couple styles that have an opening in the mask to facilitate breathing which might work better.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using a grooming bag for one of my cats for awhile now. He is fine being poked and prodded, he just hates you touching his paws. I use the muzzle that comes with it since it seems to calm him down. There are zippers on the bottom to pull out each paw individually. Everyone I tell about it are certain they could never get their cat in the bag, but for me it has made a terribly stressful event for both of us into a quick painless procedure.