HELP!! Cats peeing...

MegaKitty14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to have one female cat. She rule the house. A year ago we brought two male cats into our home. She still doesn't like them. All three cats are fixed. My female is declawed but the boys are not. One of my boy cats are attacking the female every now and then and vice versa. We aren't sure which cat it is, (though we caught are female cat peeing on the bed). Recently one peed on the recliner and we tried everything to get the smell and stain out but its soaked all the way through.
We are in dire need of help or advice on how to prevent this from happening and what best has worked for you to get the pee smell and stain out.

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's important to use a cleaner that has enzymes to break down cat urine. My favourite is Nature's Miracle Cat Urine Destroyer, though others have likely used other enzymatic cleaners that also work really well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to find out what is happening at the litter box(es) - are both or one of the males bothering the female when she goes to use it? That would certainly prompt enough fear and avoidance to cause her to go elsewhere. Does she always use the litter box to poop? And, how many boxes do you have? The rule of thumb is one per cat, plus one - meaning that ideally you should have 4 boxes. More boxes means giving her more options to pee away from them, depending on where they are located.

It would also be helpful to log what is going on when the attacks occur, and to verify whether or not the female ever attacks first. If they are left to be with each other when you are away from home, baby cams could be set up to monitor what goes on in your absence.

It also could be stress related peeing since she doesn't like them and they attack her. Stress can cause bladder inflammation - leading to inappropriate peeing. It can also ultimately cause bladder infections as well. She could actually have one now, which would certainly explain going outside of the litter box - especially if she is using a box for pooping.

I have found "The Equalizer" to be very effective in removing odors from carpeting and other non-washable surfaces. The product can be purchased on the internet at Amazon, as well as other sites. Some vets carry it too. I like it because you don't have to saturate the material/fabric/carpeting, so less drying time. If the cushion can be removed from the recliner covering, I would do so and thoroughly spray it separately from the recliner material. Since it was completely soaked, you might consider replacing the cushion. Depending on what the cushion is made out of, most fabric stores - such as JoAnn's Fabric - carry the material and can cut a new piece to size (I am thinking cushion seat foam, for example). For the recliner material covering, use a towel to lay underneath the material and spray it as well. If the urine has been left there for a while, it might take multiple treatments. Let it dry in between applications.