HELP! Cat with elevated BUN but normal creatinine from lily toxicosis?

jwynveen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My cat is a 1.5 year old Devon Rex who is neutered and weighs 8.5 lbs. He accidentally rubbed up and possibly ate a leaf from our lily plant. He showed no signs whatsoever this whole time! We did not realize it was extremely toxic until roughly 12-18 hours later. We rushed him to the ER and he presented with BUN 57 and Cr 1.4 (his baseline labs were BUN 36 Cr 0.9). We started about 30 hours of IV therapy and his levels normalized to Cr 1.1 BUN 36. At that point we decided to bring him home and continue with subcutaneous fluids only and his BUN increased to 48 (but not as high as before) Cr 1.3. We did another round of subcutaneous fluids and BUN is now 45 and Cr 1.1 (which is what is was on the IV fluids). We did an additional round of subcutaneous fluids. My question is - will my cat recover from the kidney injury he suffered since he is young and did not have any underlying kidney issues? Do we need to continue doing repeat bloodwork to ensure his levels are dropping? From the trend it seems like the subcutaneous fluids are doing what they should be and his creatinine is declining. His creatinine never spiked up though which is not usual with lily toxicosis. What is happening with my little kitty?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best person to discuss this with is your Vet. We here at TheCatSite are not Vets, just cat lovers. Did the actually diagnose this as Acute Kidney Failure, or what?

If you have a regular Vet vs the Emergency Vet, perhaps they can shed some light on this subject if you get the paperwork to them. If not, then give the ER Vet a call and see if they'll answer your questions. Personally, I think it's a very good sign that his creatine didn't get too high.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have seen cats survive Lilly toxicity when it is caught early and they receive 3 days of iv fluids. The creatinine doesn’t always rise right away. I would continue to monitor the blood work as suggested by your vet.