Help! Cat Suddenly Can't Walk, Has Diarrhea

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat: Nox Breed: DSH Age:2.5 (Fixed, former stray)

My cat Nox very suddenly can't walk, he tries but is all wobbly and uncoordinated and just falls over or has to sit down.

He's also got diarrhea, only able to poop tiny amounts that are slightly larger than a dime. His anus after pooping is red and looks inflamed but when resting seems normal. There is also a water substance when he poops though i'm not sure if that is from his anus or if he is urinating at the same time.

He was fine a few hours ago, playing, running, eating and jumping like normal! I have no idea what is going on and where I live there is no vet on a Sunday either! I am going to try to get him in tomorrow as I am bringing in another of my cats for a dental cleaning but I'm really worried.

He is NOT eating! I've tried dry and wet food, treats, cat milk (lactose free) and he doesn't even show an interest in it. The only thing he reacts well to is me holding him, he just purrs.

I have two other cats that have the same food, water, litter etc. but are not exhibiting these symptoms.

He has had his shots and testing negative for felv when I adopted him.

Any advice, similar experiences or anything is appreciated. Please don't jus tell me to go to a vet though, I already know that much but can't get in until tomorrow. I'm trying to see what I can do in the meantime and prepare myself for what it might be.

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he go outside? Could he have eaten anything toxic or poisonous like lilies or antifreeze?

Pet Poison Helpline | Guide to Pet Safety

:grouphug:
He is an Indoor cat so he wouldn't have eaten anything outside, also I keep anything dangerous in baby proof cupboards to prevent them from eating anything harmful. I've felt his tummy and it's not hard or swollen and he doesn't show pain when I feel it either.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont know, but i would definitely get him to the vet tomorrow. Best of luck, and let us know what the vet has to say. If he is getting worse, or no better, can you call your vet? we are in a small town too, but our vet has an after hours service that answers, and him, or one of the other vets in town can see you after hours in an emergency. they do a rotation.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Take a photo of the diarrhea and also if you can, take a video shot of her trying to walk and show them to the vet.

Hope it’s nothing serious and hope he gets well soon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be terribly constipated, enough that he is leaking around the mass. The best thing to do right now is to try to get him to drink. If he refuses maybe take a syringe or even a teaspoon and try to get a little water into him. Offer him some tuna juice and see if he'll drink that. I don't like the dime size diarrhea, there should be more. The vet will most likely x ray him. My cat did not urinate for a full day, and cried when he was trying to go, he got sluggish and wobbly too, scared us to death. It was on a Sunday too. It was a infection and the shots he got almost immediately made him better. The vet scared him so bad he peed on the table, so he didn't have to stay. The vet said in case of blockage etc. they have a hard mass in their intestines, which he didn't have, so you might feel harder up in his stomach to see if you can find anything.good luck!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat a few years back who had a stroke. Afterward I tried to stand her on her legs to see about her walking. She could only make a couple of circles then fall over. She was also unable to eat or drink, but would purr when held.

Nox is a little young to have a stroke, but that is the only "similar" experience I've had with any of my cats. Hopefully it is something else and easily treatable.

:vibes:Good vibes your way and best wishes for a positive outcome. :vibes:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
How is he doing?

As has been suggested, squirt or spoon water into his mouth. If he's had a stroke he'll most likely favour one side of his body and circle when he walks. That's very good that he's not been outside or exposed to any toxins.

It's not long now until tomorrow.

:crossfingers:

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I contacted a vet via the phone and he gave me a lot of the same advice I saw here, likely constipation and dehydration so give him water via syringe and encourage him to drink on his own. Keep an eye on his stool and see if he is straining.

After giving him some water he even ate some wet food! He also can walk now and doesn't just fall down, he is still wobbly but can walk and jump up and down and has more energy too! I didn't know but dehydration can cause disorientation and that wobbly walk. Hopefully there isn't a big blockage but only an x ray will tell. In the meantime he is doing better and cuddled in my lap purring as I type!

Thanks so much for sharing and the great advice, I will keep you updated as I know more

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take a photo of the diarrhea and also if you can, take a video shot of her trying to walk and show them to the vet.

Hope it’s nothing serious and hope he gets well soon.
Thanks! I've taken a sample of his poop too in a baggie and shot some video of him trying to walk too but it isn't showing well on camera but better than nothing!

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont know, but i would definitely get him to the vet tomorrow. Best of luck, and let us know what the vet has to say. If he is getting worse, or no better, can you call your vet? we are in a small town too, but our vet has an after hours service that answers, and him, or one of the other vets in town can see you after hours in an emergency. they do a rotation.
I ended up calling a vet and talked over the phone and got some advice and recommendations. They helped to calm me down and put me at ease too, I was worried he was at deaths door but they assured me that it was likely dehydration, get his fluid intake up and keep an eye on his litter box. He is walking a bit better already with some water in him!

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat a few years back who had a stroke. Afterward I tried to stand her on her legs to see about her walking. She could only make a couple of circles then fall over. She was also unable to eat or drink, but would purr when held.

Nox is a little young to have a stroke, but that is the only "similar" experience I've had with any of my cats. Hopefully it is something else and easily treatable.

:vibes:Good vibes your way and best wishes for a positive outcome. :vibes:
Sorry to hear your kitty had a stoke, I had an older cat that had the same and it was really heartbreaking which is why I was so worried about Nox. I'm hoping that it is just some dehydration or constipation.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy and relieved to hear that he is already improving with a bit of water and food in him!

Hang in there! :hangin: Hoping for continued improvement!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Hurry and phew! I'm ever so pleased that Nox is improving. I've suffered from dehydration myself before and it's not at all nice, it's extremely disorientating and sickly making.

Are you going to take him to the vet with your other cat for a quick once over to make sure he's fully on the road to recovery?

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Nox is back to his old energetic and happy self! He's eating, pooping, drinking, peeing and most of all playing again! I'm really gratful for the advice and support from everyone! I was really in a such a panic but thankfully with a little extra water and some coconut oil he was back to 100% :D My other kitty Freya also made out great at the vet too, she let them clean her teeth without any sedation! What a good girl :D

mac n tosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Nox is well. I know I'm late to this but I didn't see if anyone asked if you'd given Nox any moist food or treats with cheese. I fed both my cats a moist food and later some treats with cheese and only Tosh got sick. He didn't eat or drink for little more than a day. His poo and butt were as you described. It was terrifying!! I never fed him cheese again and he's been fine.

mac n tosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad Nox is well. I know I'm late to this conversation but I noticed no-one asked if you'd given him any moist food or treats with cheese. Both my cats ate the same cheese product and only Tosh got sick. He didn't eat or drink for little more than a day. He hid under a chair looking sad. His poo and butt were as you described. It was terrifying!! I never fed them cheese again and he's been fine.

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Nox is well. I know I'm late to this but I didn't see if anyone asked if you'd given Nox any moist food or treats with cheese. I fed both my cats a moist food and later some treats with cheese and only Tosh got sick. He didn't eat or drink for little more than a day. His poo and butt were as you described. It was terrifying!! I never fed him cheese again and he's been fine.
I'm glad you did post I feed my kitties fancy feast cheese delights everyday! I hadn't considered that a wet food could cause constipation, but I know some cats don't handle cheese well... hadn't thought of it that way though! I'll have to switch them over to a non cheese wet food just to be safe!

Thanks for sharing!

mac n tosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you did post I feed my kitties fancy feast cheese delights everyday! I hadn't considered that a wet food could cause constipation, but I know some cats don't handle cheese well... hadn't thought of it that way though! I'll have to switch them over to a non cheese wet food just to be safe!

Thanks for sharing!

mac n tosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks for sharing!
I dont think it was the moist food but the cheese additive that was the problem for Tosh. Moist food helps prevent constipation (I think) bc it's loaded with fluid. I give them one can of Friskies to share everyday.