Help! Cat prefers to use bathroom outside, refuses to use litterbox in bad weather and pees all over

catsinnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at a loss and I'm so hopeful someone has advice!
My approx 7 year old cat has been indoors most of her time with us (4 years). She does have a bad habit of peeing on items when she is unhappy (if we go on vacation, etc). Our household has grown to include a baby and another on the way, and a cat-friendly dog.

Through all that she continued to use the litter box, no problem. Then she started going outside part-time, and LOVES it. For 6 months now she has spent the majority of her time outside, coming in only to eat and get some attention then out again. She is visibly a happier cat! (She definitely would prefer to be the only queen of the castle).

But now it is winter...and we are seeing more rain. If she can't go outside due to weather (whether it be cold or raining or snowing) she eventually urinates in the corner of our house (and I'm sure I'll find other spots too given past experiences). We have a litter box, the same she has always used. She refuses to use it. No change in litter for years. I tried emptying it all and cleaning it - no change. I moved it several locations - no change. I think she is just stubborn. Again, she wants to be the only animal (and loves babies but not toddlers that want to pet her) - but obviously that situation isn't going to change.

We do have a detached garage where she can easily slip under the door for shelter - should I just put her carrier or a box filled with blankets for warmth and let her stay out there? I hate banishing her esp when it is cold but I have a toddler and am pregnant, 2 months out from having a second baby and honestly can't follow her around all winter cleaning it up without losing my sanity. Trust me, I go through a lot for this cat but have to set the limit somewhere. I want to do right by her...oh, and she has been to the vet and is in perfect health!

Advice please! Thank you!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsinnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll add that where she is urinating is not a place I can put the litter box...my toddler and dog would be too interested and I can't block it off from them :(

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is in her litter box?  Did you ever think of trying soil.  A bit harder to work with but Arm and Hammer has one that is 100% dust free and looks like dirt. 

catsinnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use Dr Elsey's Precious Cat litter. I never thought of trying soil - and had no idea that Arm and Hammer made a soil type litter! That is a great idea. Thank you!

ozzysperson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm curious if you had any luck with this? I have two 7/8 month old kittens, male and female, and both perfect health, and I'm dealing with a similar situation. My neighbor found three three week old kittens last summer, the only ones to survive being abandoned out of 11 kittens. She brought them to me and I nursed them and cared for them. They all have used the litter box perfectly since a few weeks after getting them. They have been getting out recently because my three human children are slow with the front door. But I think the female has decided she likes to go to bathroom outside better. I find her digging in piles of clothes like she's about to go and I have to take her to the box. I was using arm and hammer litter, I had been using it the whole time. it has a very strong smell though, works great for odor, but a cat might not find it appealing. Switching litter has done nothing, she still would rather go dig in the snow that use her box. I'm at a loss

catsinnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Admittedly, I haven't found a good solution - when it was too cold/rainy/snowy for her to go outside at regular intervals, I did finally just let her sleep in a room where she is usually not allowed (but where dog and toddler couldn't reach her), and put the litterbox in there, and she used it (hallelujah! She has peed on that bed before so I was terrified).  Now, the weather is permitting her to go outside regularly.  

Have you tried just moving the litter box to a more accessible location? I have a toddler so it's not a long-term solution for us but it was good to know she was just being suddenly picky.  

I'm curious about the soil litter that someone mentioned too - haven't tried it yet though.

Good luck and please update if you find a solution (I will too). I know it's just a matter of time until I find another puddle or ruined furniture. I know when you have littles that cleaning up cat pee is the last thing you want to tackle. (And if you have to, I've had the best luck with Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer - just spray it on ASAP and let it soak in real good - it's amazing).