Help! Cat Lost In Apartment

teestro

Toni S.
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,

I am probably freaking out for no reason, so please bear with me! But I am a new cat owner and just adopted a 2 year old female cat and took her home Friday evening. She is very sweet and affectionate, but scared easily and is taking some time to adjust to her new surroundings (as her foster mom told me prior to adopting her- she hid for almost a month before roaming freely in her home).

I live in a small studio apartment, so there is not many places she could go. However, she was happily sleeping today under my couch when I got home from work. I then immediately went into the bathroom after looking at her, and took a ten minute or so shower. When i came out, i checked under the couch again to see if she ate a treat I had left her earlier, and she was gone. I then looked at some of the other hiding spots she had been in since I’ve had her these past few days, but cannot find her! I am starting to get worried. I have literally looked everywhere I can think of- even the microwave which sounds ridiculous! Any tips or suggestions? I hope she is okay- though I’m sure she’d be meowing or scratching if she was hurt or trapped.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are just excellent at finding hiding spaces. She may have figured out how to squirm her way up into the sofa back, inside the bottom of the mattress or some similar tiny space. As much as you want to know she is okay searching for her will probably make her hide longer. If you are sure she hasn’t gotten outside then she is fine and will come out when she is ready. Make sure the litter box is in a visible space and her food and water as well. Probably while you are sleeping she will come out to eat and use the box. Eventually she will let you see her but still may not want to be touched. You want her to come to you before you try.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS :wave3:

Any windows or doors left ajar that she might have gone out? Did you check your under your recliner? There’s hiding space below it but just don’t recline the chair to look for her, go down on your knees and see if she’s hiding in the empty space.

How about behind the fridge, boxes on top of wardrobe. Behind any false walls? Washing machine? Dryer? Radiator? They are very good in stuffing themselves in tight spaces and keeping very still and quiet lol for her in all the impossible places.

I hope you find her soon! Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teestro

Toni S.
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your quick responses! She somehow got into one of my drawers from up underneath the dresser and she was actually stuck and couldn’t come out. Thank goodness I slowly opened it to check, because I may have hurt her when I opened it. I need to figure out how to block her from getting up into this again- since I live in a studio, I can’t shut the bedroom door! Thank you again for your assistance. This full moon is definitely screwing with me today.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your quick responses! She somehow got into one of my drawers from up underneath the dresser and she was actually stuck and couldn’t come out. Thank goodness I slowly opened it to check, because I may have hurt her when I opened it. I need to figure out how to block her from getting up into this again- since I live in a studio, I can’t shut the bedroom door! Thank you again for your assistance. This full moon is definitely screwing with me today.
You could just leave the drawer ajar so if she gets in she can get out.