HELP! Cat gasping / coughing / gagging?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then you can start the training now, you don’t need actual inhaler to start introducing the chamber to Kila, she can totally even breathe through this without the drug when she’s ready to. You’ll find lots of YouTube videos about this but if you have any specific questions, let us know.

It actually makes sense to me, as I don’t think that inhaled steroids will work if the oral ones didn’t. My vet did a similar thing, we had prendisolone first and only after we knew it works (and it worked immediately in our case), we started the fluticasone. I guess the oral steroids are somewhat stronger and vets don’t want to start the inhaler process (given the training effort and regular price) before knowing that it’s the possible long term solution. I’ve heard about many cats that were fine on prednisolone, but not on the inhaler unless much bigger than recommended doses were administered.
Yes on the training: beyond what She's a witch mentioned, our vet tech suggested petting Ireland with the chamber. I'd already been showing her the mask so petting her with the chamber itself was a good next step. I still do it when I'm shaking the inhaler for her second puff: Ireland likes to scent it. :)

And that's very interesting about the oral/inhaled steroids. Ireland was never on any oral steroids, she just went right to the inhaled/fluticasone.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And that's very interesting about the oral/inhaled steroids. Ireland was never on any oral steroids, she just went right to the inhaled/fluticasone.
And I think it made perfect sense in her case, since she didn’t have such strong symptoms as other asthmatic cats and probably mild inflammation only; I think it’s awesome that prednisolone was spared to her. I’m not saying that oral steroids are necessary prerequisite to inhaled one, by all means, but referring to Kila’s case, my understanding is that it’s unlikely the inhaler would work if the prednisolone didn’t-but of course I may have a wrong understanding! So I’d totally ask your vet, frazzfox frazzfox , if he thinks the inhaled steroids may make a difference at this point.

And yes about petting! The inhaler time for us always starts with petting and making Ygritte purr! And I continue the petting through the process, both for her and mine pleasure and the drug effectiveness- she breathes much better when she purrs.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I think it made perfect sense in her case, since she didn’t have such strong symptoms as other asthmatic cats and probably mild inflammation only; I think it’s awesome that prednisolone was spared to her. I’m not saying that oral steroids are necessary prerequisite to inhaled one, by all means, but referring to Kila’s case, my understanding is that it’s unlikely the inhaler would work if the prednisolone didn’t-but of course I may have a wrong understanding! So I’d totally ask your vet, frazzfox frazzfox , if he thinks the inhaled steroids may make a difference at this point.

And yes about petting! The inhaler time for us always starts with petting and making Ygritte purr! And I continue the petting through the process, both for her and mine pleasure and the drug effectiveness- she breathes much better when she purrs.
Yes, Ireland only has mild inflammation and I'm really glad she was (we were all!) spared the pred. (Honestly, I think the inhaler is easy compared to giving her pills, given how particular she is about her food!)

And that's interesting to hear that you pet Ygrette with the chamber, too! Your tip on purring was so helpful -- it really does help ensure the cat will breathe well. Purring and a little sleepy is the best combination with Ireland.

frazzfox frazzfox , here's more crossed fingers for tomorrow's appointment.

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can see why you're feeling anxious, these are the sorts of symptoms that would worry me, too. I'm very glad you'll be able to bring her in to the vet again tomorrow. And wow that they noticed those differences in her xrays over just two weeks.

She's a witch She's a witch , those articles are very good. I particularly like the charts. frazzfox frazzfox , I was surprised before and am even more surprised now that you vet hasn't prescribed a Flovent-type inhaler.

D Dawk , your summary of cleaning is great! And all too familiar: we also used to have humidifiers with filters, but what a pain to clean! We used a bunch of the warm Vicks humidifiers, which worked great... but then one burned out in a scary/smelly way so we switched. We now have a bunch of Honeywell Mistmates, which (since we live in Maine, too!) we bought at Marden's. We've also found that the cheaper humidifiers do just as good a job as the expensive ones and are much, much easier to clean. I bet your cat is doing well with all that cleaning!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
D Dawk Hello and welcome to the site, and thank you so much for your amazing insights!! I'm glad to hear your kitty is doing well with your lifestyle changes! I definitely need to get better at cleaning -- we've been doing our best since this all started but I've never been an aggressive cleaner so I'm learning very quickly that what I consider clean is not necessarily "white glove" clean. 😂 Good point about opening the windows when we vacuum. We do live in an apartment with wall-to-wall carpet so keeping that clean and dust-free is a big undertaking. We have an air purifier running all the time as well. It's a little small so I'd like to get a bigger one soon but better than nothing for now. Some things will require a little saving up but we would do anything for our little girl. <3

lisahe lisahe & She's a witch She's a witch -- Thanks so much for the insights! I've read conflicting info about humidifiers helping, we might try putting her in a steamy bathroom a few times before investing in one. Also heard conflicting evidence about whether Flovent will / won't help if the pred doesn't help... I've been stalking a few feline asthma groups and reading posts and some folks report that while their cats didn't respond to pred, they responded well to the inhaler. Or that some needed a more precise combo of meds, etc. etc. Every cat is different I suppose!

Twylasmom Twylasmom -- I thought so too! I wonder why it was such a low dosage. Kila's a big girl. Though with how sleepy she seems to be on the meds I wonder if that would have been a good idea anyway.

And here's the general vet update from our appointment today:

Vet checked Kila out and, again, her breathing/lungs sounded fine through the stethoscope and her heart had no issues. Gums looked fine. She's maintained her weight from last checkup. He looked in her eyes and said that even though the third eyelid looks inflamed at times, there's no evidence of an infection (discharge, weepiness, pain, etc).

I told him that the pred didn't seem to be working and showed him a ton of videos we had taken of her most recent coughing bouts, her gurgling (she makes a sort of growling/whining noise when she breathes out at times), told him about her weird sleeping positions, etc. Gave him the full run-down. He actually said her recent coughs sounded more "upper respiratory", she looks like she licks her nose after it. Plus with the huffing she's been doing out her nose, a little bit of discharge always comes out (it's like a few clear drops).

After chatting briefly about options we decided to go the antibiotic route to start. He gave us an antihistamine to give her 2x/day and clindamycin to give her 2x/day. He also told us to take her off the pred since that doesn't seem to be helping and could be contributing to her lethargy.

He said to call next week if she's not improving by Wednesday, and at that point we're off to the internist for some more in-depth diagnostics such as ultrasound, possibly a check of her sinuses, etc.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
showed him a ton of videos we had taken
...I'll tell you what, if nothing else smartphones capabilities and ease of getting videos sure have made things easier for our vets/kitties. Good for you!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your baby, as always!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update, frazzfox frazzfox ! It sounds like an eventful (in a good way?) vet visit. (I found it especially interesting that he said the recent coughs seemed "upper respiratory," given your videos. That's helpful to keep in mind with Ireland.) And antihistamines, that definitely sounds worth trying. Here's hoping (fingers crossed!) that this last bunch of things helps!

Okay, now the fun part! Ha! I am also not even close to being an aggressive cleaner so this has been an interesting challenge for me, too. I've become especially good at more frequent laundering of cat bedding (they have so many spots they like to sleep!), which seems particularly important. And Swiffering, since we have lots of hardwood floors. I need to remember to get back to opening the windows a bit more again, though, if only for a few minutes at a time. I should have done that the other day when it was warmer!

In my rather limited experience, the big thing with humidifiers is to not overdo things since too much moisture will just grow mold. That's why I like the Mistmates: they're small and the steam is very easy to control. If anything, they just barely do the job -- my hands get really dry without adequate humidifying, they're like my gauge! -- but I think "just barely" is a lot better than the other extreme. (Been there, done that, and it gets messy when the extra water condenses on cold winter windows!)

Anyway, here's hoping Kila does better on the new medication and this all starts to clear up! :crossfingers:

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lisahe and Frazzfox, you are really nice,thanks! After my cat got diagnosed with asthma, he came home and I had to start the prednisone. I minced the tablet with the back tip of a tea spoon in a coffee cup and ground it up like a mortor and pestle,easy. It would be added to Jacks wet food. Remember to mix it in to hide the taste. After a while the vet will recommend a smaller dose and soon Jack was off the pred. I had to buy a devise to start Jack on fluticasone 2 times a day and arbuterol (Ventolin) when your cat has a coughing attack. You wait till your cat is calm enough to except the special cat devise to ease in the cats breathing. Your vet will show you and remember it's a piece of cake.The inhaler devise costs about 70 bucks but is built like a tank and works great. Jack is down to 1 spray of fluticasone every other day.The other arbuterol is used for rescue, right after an attack and used as described by your vet sometimes a few times are needed.When I first got the 2 meds the price was heart breaking but do it. I bought them here in Maine. When you have time to reorder, because your cat will get better, order your meds needed from Canada where it's affordable but as you know someone you might know who has asthma, it's something you live with and control. So Jack had an attack the other day after a reducement in meds recommended by the vet. I had to use the arbuterol after a few attacks. I dug deeper and took my humidifiers apart. I had no idea of the mold they were spewing out. I said Home Depot in the last reply but I meant Walmart for a good small cold mist vaporizer, Vicks filter free, the filter causes the mold, and a transparent blue tinted tank.It's about 30 bucks.If your cat sleeps on your bed like mine at night you will know where to put it. I put a small Home Depot air purifier in there too for the dust.You might not need to run both but I have forced hot air and that's the worst for dust,thus the purifier So far no arbuterol needed, but plenty on hand,thanks Canada! There are times when this can work you up in a Frazz but it's really easy to adjust because your kitty cat is your best friend as mine is mine......Dawk...Mark Korda

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a humidifier that shuts down after it reaches the desired humidity, I really like the solution as it helps to control the potential moisture. I run it in the winter only as in other seasons the humidity is mostly just fine. I use distilled water and it really makes a difference when it comes to cleaning, I noticed it’s simply cleaner inside compared to when we used other types of water.
In our case, I’m sure it did help Ygritte, but I’ve heard about asthmatic cats that it made their situation worse, so it really depends on what the asthmatic trigger is.
(And apart from what it does to my cat, I simply love the thing, as my own skin is much less dry and I sleep like a baby when I set this thing to 50% humidity at night)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wait till your cat is calm enough to except the special cat devise to ease in the cats breathing. Your vet will show you and remember it's a piece of cake.The inhaler devise costs about 70 bucks but is built like a tank and works great.
Yes, "calm" is definitely the way to start! As She's a witch She's a witch has mentioned, it's great if the cat is purring. And you're so right, D Dawk , that the AeroKat is "built like a tank" -- I have to admit, I wasn't expecting it to be so sturdy. It's a very good device.

Also, just for fun, here are Edwina and Ireland (she's the one with asthma) enjoying their Mistmate boxes. They love those little humidifiers best for the boxes!
catsinboxes2.jpg

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lisa,great picture! Those are the same vaporizers I am using.So far so good.I need the vaporizer too. Your cats look great and real happy.......Dawk

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lisa,great picture! Those are the same vaporizers I am using.So far so good.I need the vaporizer too. Your cats look great and real happy.......Dawk
They are very happy cats! Well, at least most of the time. (They are cats, after all so they have to be cranky every now and then when they think they're not getting the food/attention they deserve.)

I hope everybody's (meaning cats and people!) doing well and, frazzfox frazzfox , that Kila's symptoms start to lessen this weekend. :crossfingers: as always!

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are very happy cats! Well, at least most of the time. (They are cats, after all so they have to be cranky every now and then when they think they're not getting the food/attention they deserve.)

I hope everybody's (meaning cats and people!) doing well and, frazzfox frazzfox , that Kila's symptoms start to lessen this weekend. :crossfingers: as always!
Hi Lisa and Frazz, Lisa is there an easy way to post a kitty picture? Frazz, I may have overwelmed you with info but I just wanted to tell you what may be ahead.If you take things slow and calmly and follow the vets advice you and your cat will be just fine. When you see someone with an asthma inhaler that's the same stuff you get for your cat. With the device Lisa and I were talking about it's a snap to give your cat the medication.Take care....Dawk

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update... don't want to give too much info for fear of jinxing myself but... Kila seems to be responding pretty well to the antihistamine and antibiotic!

No coughing yet (fingers TIGHTLY crossed), and her energy is WAY up from what we saw on the pred. She's been wandering all over the apartment again, getting her nose into things. Her breathing rate still seems a little high for normal at times (in the 40-45 range) but I'll have to catch her while she's napping for an accurate report of resting breathing rate. Though she's not thrilled about the medication she's been taking it like a trooper! Such a good girl. <3

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lisa is there an easy way to post a kitty picture?
I'm not very good at instructions (and the ones on the site are outdated!) but I'll try!

1. Click to start a new post.

2. At the top of the window that opens there will be a line of commands, things like -- B I U -- and so on. Click on the one that looks like a little picture. This one:
1581805468849.png

3. When you click on that, a window will pop up:
1581805516135.png

You have two choices. 1) you can "drag and drop" a photo there. Or 2) you can click on the box. If you click on the box, the system will open up a window from your computer, asking where the image is. Click on that and add it and click "open." That will put the photo in your post. (I just did it, to test my instructions, so here's one of my favorite photos of the cats!)
P1010003.JPG

4. Good luck! I hope that helps/works because I'd love to see a photo of Jack!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick update... don't want to give too much info for fear of jinxing myself but... Kila seems to be responding pretty well to the antihistamine and antibiotic!

No coughing yet (fingers TIGHTLY crossed), and her energy is WAY up from what we saw on the pred. She's been wandering all over the apartment again, getting her nose into things. Her breathing rate still seems a little high for normal at times (in the 40-45 range) but I'll have to catch her while she's napping for an accurate report of resting breathing rate. Though she's not thrilled about the medication she's been taking it like a trooper! Such a good girl. <3
I'm so glad to hear that! The energy factor is so important. That's always a tip-off for me with our cats.

Not that I'm a vet or anything 😊 but I think the antihistamine was an inspired choice from the vet. As someone who's been allergic all her life (other than the six years I lived outside the US, when I had almost no allergies at all!), I have to say that allergies can really take the energy out of you! And cause all manner of symptoms, which can vary tremendously, depending on the allergens themselves. And how many allergens are around at a given time. Cleaning more because of Ireland's asthma has really helped my indoor allergies this winter.

Speaking of allergens... one thing I had to get rid of when my allergies totally changed 10-15 years ago was down. One fall, I had horrible allergies after I switched out the bedding. I'd been sleeping under down comforters nearly all my life but then suddenly couldn't have any down on the bed. If you happen to have down and Kila sleeps on or near it, it's something to consider. (After Ireland's diagnosis, we got rid of a little down throw blanket that was pretty worn anyway -- she loved lying on it but now she has a washable cotton blanket instead!)

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lisa, thanks for the instructions and also the tip on the comforter.Mine is going into a bag right now as an experiment.I'll let you know if I see any changes.....thanks Mark Korda (Dawk)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lisa, thanks for the instructions and also the tip on the comforter.Mine is going into a bag right now as an experiment.I'll let you know if I see any changes.....thanks Mark Korda (Dawk)
Yes, let me know if you see any changes after putting the comforter away! I was horribly, horribly allergic from the down and not just when I was under the comforter: I was constantly congested, sneezy, and puffy until I figured out what the problem was. (That took a week or two: I can be slow about these things!) I'll be the first to admit that synthetic comforters aren't as good as down during Maine winters but the allergies were really awful.

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Sunday morning update!

So... Kila hasn't coughed since last Wednesday at this point! She's so much more awake and alert on the new meds and she's been a champ at taking them. We're so proud of her!

We do have some new symptoms though, all of which just started today:
  • Sneezing. She hasn't been coughing but she's been sneezing ALL day today. I actually found another thread on the site where someone whose cat had coughing issues was given antihistamines + antibiotics and they started sneezing a lot too but the thread was never resolved. I'm wondering if this could be some sort of side effect.
  • Diarrhea. Assuming this is because of the antibiotics? It wasn't too bad, just wet stool in the litter box this morning. I think probiotics should help.
  • Stomach twitching/spasms? I'm not sure if this is related to the sneezing or maybe she has a stomach ache? She seems to do it right before she sneezes but then sometimes she does it and doesn't sneeze. I touched her all over her belly but she doesn't seem to be in pain.
Vet's not open today so I'll be calling tomorrow morning to follow up.