HELP! Cat gasping / coughing / gagging?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those two coughs seem much milder than that first one, if I remember correctly. FWIW, this reminds me of Ireland's more recent coughing -- her initial two (or three?) coughing attacks six years ago was much, much worse. That was a deeper, more violent and hacking cough that went on for much longer. She looked like she was trying to expel a hairball; it was a full-body cough. Her more recent coughs have been shallower, more like she's coughing/sneezing/clearing her throat. (She had a very brief one this morning; I wasn't in the room so don't know if she sniffed something up or had been grooming -- sometimes she coughs a little when she's grooming. I've watched it happen: it's as if she gets a little fur caught in her throat, though of course I don't know if that's what's actually happening! Those end quickly and it's as if nothing ever happened.)

Did your vet have any specific comments on these two videos?

I have no clue about the pred, though do remember that article I linked to above ("Update on Feline Asthma," written by two vet school professors) that said not all cats respond to it much or even at all -- maybe Kila is one of those cats? In any case, "general loss of energy" can be a side effect, according to a couple sites I looked at, including this one.

I hope you're able to talk with the vet soon tomorrow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Those two coughs seem much milder than that first one, if I remember correctly. FWIW, this reminds me of Ireland's more recent coughing -- her initial two (or three?) coughing attacks six years ago was much, much worse.
Yes and they're not very long either -- like I said, probably about 20-30 seconds each, a minute at most. What bothers me is that she still tends to be very sleepy and "off" on the days when she coughs. I feel like a lot of the anecdotes on feline asthma that I've read say that cats tend not to be as bothered / act normally after their episodes.

She was VERY sleepy on Sunday, the day after she threw up, to the point where I was pretty worried about her. Sleeping in weird positions, not really responsive to much (except for food... and her feather toy. she perked right up with those). If her energy hadn't come back yesterday I would probably have taken her to another vet. There seems to be a sort of pattern: 1-3 days of coughing episodes and relative lethargy > 2-5 of days where she acts fine / no cough / she's energetic > suddenly she coughs again and the process starts over. Frustrating. And again there was a period of two full weeks at the start of all this where she didn't cough at all and she seemed healthy as can be. We're up to 10 coughing fits total (that we've been present for, at least) in the 4 weeks that this has been going on.

I'm trying not to freak myself out. In trying to research this I've read so many horror stories of cats that suddenly declined rapidly even with relatively benign symptoms. 😟 I just wish I could see some definitive improvement.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There seems to be a sort of pattern: 1-3 days of coughing episodes and relative lethargy > 2-5 of days where she acts fine / no cough / she's energetic > suddenly she coughs again and the process starts over.
I sort of hate to put it this way, and you're likely already thinking this way but maybe if she has another cough/lethargic situation, talk to a vet right at that point?

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
I sort of hate to put it this way, and you're likely already thinking this way but maybe if she has another cough/lethargic situation, talk to a vet right at that point?
Each of the four times we've been to the vet we've done just that -- called as soon as we could when she exhibited symptoms. Twice we were even able to get same day appointments. This time I've only held off because my usual vet is out of the office and now that he's been working with her for a few weeks and I trust him I want him overseeing treatment. He's back in tomorrow and we'll discuss next steps.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying not to freak myself out. In trying to research this I've read so many horror stories of cats that suddenly declined rapidly even with relatively benign symptoms. 😟 I just wish I could see some definitive improvement.
I know, that's the really hard part, isn't it? It's so hard not to think about that when there's no way to ask a cat what's wrong. It sounds like Kila isn't alone much, meaning that either you and/or your partner are with her pretty much all the time, right? I think in cases like ours (we're the same, we both work at home) we see our cats' patterns for more of the day so may notice smaller changes than others wouldn't see if they're not at home all day. Of course then there's sleep time... but even so, that greater proximity can give more chance to recognize patterns. At least if someone's both there and watching. :) (I think that makes sense?)

I hope you can have a good talk or visit with the vet tomorrow!

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally got in touch with the vet just now. Looks like we'll be taking her back in again tomorrow. Poor thing is going to have a perfect attendance record there sooner than later.

Over the phone he gave a couple of options for us since the pred's not working out: an albuterol inhaler (which I want to ask about since I'd prefer to get her on flovent for maintenance instead), oral terbutaline (haven't heard of this one), and possibly a course of antibiotics. He also wants us to bring her back in to take another look at her, especially her inflamed third eyelids.

Eventually we might have to take her to the internist, which is about an hour away driving. I've been trying to try all our other options first, mostly due to the lengthy car ride. She freaks out and starts trembling/yowling on the five minute drive to our current vet's so I'm worried about how she'll do for that long.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is she at the vet's? Which is to say, she almost sounds like she might be a little carsick. Maybe ask the vet if there's something to help her feel more comfortable when the car is moving?

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom She's okay at the vet. Doesn't love it, especially now that she's been there so many times, but she doesn't cry or anything while she's there and the shaking goes away. We'll definitely ask our vet if there's something we can give her to relax her or make her more comfortable on the way.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally got in touch with the vet just now. Looks like we'll be taking her back in again tomorrow. Poor thing is going to have a perfect attendance record there sooner than later.

Over the phone he gave a couple of options for us since the pred's not working out: an albuterol inhaler (which I want to ask about since I'd prefer to get her on flovent for maintenance instead), oral terbutaline (haven't heard of this one), and possibly a course of antibiotics. He also wants us to bring her back in to take another look at her, especially her inflamed third eyelids.

Eventually we might have to take her to the internist, which is about an hour away driving. I've been trying to try all our other options first, mostly due to the lengthy car ride. She freaks out and starts trembling/yowling on the five minute drive to our current vet's so I'm worried about how she'll do for that long.
Poor Kila, with all those vet visits! But inflamed third eyelids don't sound like a happy situation.

My rather basic understanding of all this is... Yes, a Flovent-type inhaler is for prevention/maintenance; it takes a week or two to really start working. Our vet seems to prescribe those a lot. I've often seen albuterol inhalers called "rescue" inhalers, for as-needed use, to stabilize only when things get bad; I know that some cats have both types of inhalers but don't know how common that is. I'd never heard of terbutaline either.

Ireland only has a Flovent-type inhaler, though the vet seems to think her inflammation isn't that heavy. I wonder if 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 might have any insight into this [edit! meaning Kila's situation, not Ireland's!]? She's a witch She's a witch , does Ygrette have an albuterol inhaler in addition to her Flovent/Flixotide?

And I hear you about the car ride! Our vet has offered gabopentin for Ireland for vet visits since she can get a bit anxious, but we've never used it.

Last edited:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't remember, but has Kila had an ultrasound to check for heart issues? That might be worth checking since her cough doesn't seem to be responding well to the prednisolone.

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't remember, but has Kila had an ultrasound to check for heart issues? That might be worth checking since her cough doesn't seem to be responding well to the prednisolone.
She hasn't. I think that might be a diagnostic we'd have to get done at the internist's. I've definitely been thinking about that though, especially since I've read info that steroids and bronchodilators can make heart issues worse. The last thing I want to do is treat her for the wrong problem and end up hurting her more. 😟

I have a copy of the detailed radiology report that diagnosed her with bronchitis if anyone's interested in the findings. Strangely they didn't comment on her heart in the report -- they did mention that her liver, colon, etc. looked normal though.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a rescue albuterol, luckily we never had to use it. As far as I know terbutaline is the same thing, but administered orally which may be better for your Kila at the moment since she hasn’t been introduced to inhaler yet? These are Bronchodilators so I assume your vet suspects bronchoconstriction is just very strong in Kila’s case. I attach the article that my vet recommended to me, it helped me understand the issues:
and another one about the diagnosis:

Try to stay positive, frazzfox frazzfox , it really doesn’t have to be bad; it’s still possible that this bronchitis has bacterial cause that would be a very good news since it’s curable, as opposed to asthma; it’s also possible that steroids did not do the job as the dose was too small and tapered before symptoms stopped (see the article and compare the dosing for Kila); plus, it’s totally possible that she simply requires bronchodilators together with steroids before she settles into maintenance inhaler, it happens.
Just to rule things out, has she been tested for FIV and FELV?
As always, fingers and paws crossed for you and Kila!

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know, that's the really hard part, isn't it? It's so hard not to think about that when there's no way to ask a cat what's wrong. It sounds like Kila isn't alone much, meaning that either you and/or your partner are with her pretty much all the time, right? I think in cases like ours (we're the same, we both work at home) we see our cats' patterns for more of the day so may notice smaller changes than others wouldn't see if they're not at home all day. Of course then there's sleep time... but even so, that greater proximity can give more chance to recognize patterns. At least if someone's both there and watching. :) (I think that makes sense?)

I hope you can have a good talk or visit with the vet tomorrow!
I'm
Before anyone asks, we're planning to take her into the vet as soon as possible. I'm just wondering if this is worth an emergency vet trip today or if anyone's had experience with this sort of coughing / wheezing.

She just started doing this today, for the first time, about 11:30 AM. I thought she was throwing up at first but nothing came out. She's been doing it sort of intermittently since, maybe every 20 or so minutes. In between her coughs she seems fine if a little sleepy. Licking her lips /swallowing a bit more than usual. She's still looking for birds in the window, cuddling with us, etc. She ate fine this morning. I counted her breathing and she's in the normal range, she's not panting or wheezing between these little episodes.

I thought she might have a hairball stuck but I'm not so sure about those gasping sounds. If anyone can help let me know, I'm so worried for her. :( I can provide more info if needed.

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't. I think that might be a diagnostic we'd have to get done at the internist's. I've definitely been thinking about that though, especially since I've read info that steroids and bronchodilators can make heart issues worse. The last thing I want to do is treat her for the wrong problem and end up hurting her more. 😟

I have a copy of the detailed radiology report that diagnosed her with bronchitis if anyone's interested in the findings. Strangely they didn't comment on her heart in the report -- they did mention that her liver, colon, etc. looked normal though.

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words She's a witch She's a witch . She has not been introduced to the inhaler yet but I did purchase a chamber preemptively knowing we'd likely have to put her on it.

As for the pred dosage, she received 2.5 mg for 5 days and now every other day. That looks like the lowest end of what's recommended by that chart you linked (she's 12-13 lbs).

I'm definitely interested in doing a round of antibiotics at this point to try and rule out some kind of infection.

I've just been anxious over her these past few days. She's been acting out of sorts, sitting in that hunched-up position with her elbows back and her feet under her, or hanging her head over things / resting her chin on the floor. Every time she starts to really get going while purring it starts to sound like she's wheezing. She's also been licking her lips, swallowing, and yawning a lot... not sure if those are related symptoms.

Here's what the findings were from the radiologist, by the way. We had taken two x-rays, one on the 13th of January and one on the 28th of January.

---

For the x-ray on 1/13/20:
  • Cardiac silhouette and pulmonary vessels are normal
  • Mild bronchial infiltrate in the caudal lung fields with thickening of smaller airway walls
  • Focal increased opacity visible, cranial to the cardiac silhouette in the region of the 4th rib
  • No lung consolidation
  • Trachial diameter, pleural space, mediastinum and extrathoracic structures are unremarkable
  • Serosal detail in abdomen is adequate
  • Liver, spleen, kidneys have normal size/shape
  • Stomach contains soft tissue opacity with radiopaque debris. Intestines and colon unremarkable.

For the x-ray on 1/28/20:
  • Bronchial infiltrate has slightly increased and thickening of smaller airway walls is more apparent
  • Focal interstitial infiltrate in the region of the junction between the right cranial and middle lung lobe (probably the opacity seen in the previous x-ray)
  • Remaining lung fields normal, trachea and other thoracic structures normal
  • Serosal detail still normal in the abdomen
  • Liver, spleen, kidneys still normal in size and shape
  • Stomach continues to contain soft tissue material with radiopaque debris.
  • Intestines have primary soft tissue opacity with normal diameter, colon has well-formed opaque feces

Conclusions:

Bronchial infiltrate in the caudal lung fields characterized by thickening of smaller airway walls seems to have increased between the two studies. This finding is consistent with lower airway disease (asthma/bronchitis/bronchiolitis) that can have allergic, infectious or irritant etiology. Small focal opacity between the right cranial and middle lung lobes could be associated with fibrosis of the pleural fissure line and is probably incidental. Remainder of thorax appears normal. An upper respiratory inflammatory / infectious or obstructive condition could also be contributing to the reported clinical signs.

On both studies, radiopaque debris in the stomach could be retained ingesta, but ingested foreign material could be a consideration. With no vomiting reported, this finding has doubtful significance.

Dawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Frazzfox and others,
I just joined today and am a 63 year old who lives alone with a 6 year old cat I love that came down with asthma 2 years ago. Ay first I thought hairballs but after the asthma diagnosis from the vet I made some changes that have really helped.I live in a mobile home in Maine that has forced hot air .Here you go......1. Dust like your Tony Randall on the Odd Couple. the old white glove treatment.2.Go to Home Depot and invest in a air purifier. They suck in the dust and come in different sizes.3.The vet told me humidifiers were great and I got a cool mist small one from Vicks that works great. It replaced this hundred dollar job my brother gave me. When my cat relapsed, had that coughing fit,I was at odds why. I disassembled my humidifiers and they both were full of mold! The Vick unit uses no filter and is a breeze to clean. Clean them once a week! That was a hard lesson for me.4. When you vacuum, and do it alot if you have to live with wall to wall carpets. Open a window when vacuuming and shove a fan in there to get a flow of air(dust) out the window and not re spread around the room.5.Replace the furnace filter (Home Depot) 6. Clean out the air ducts by taking them out and sticking your vacuum hose down there. Things fall down there and it gets dirty and dusty.Mine had never been done before and where just blowing up dust.7. Get Cedar chip cat litter, it's light and dustless and if cleaned regularly lasts longer. 8.Home Depot has these little air duct inserts that fit right in the ducts. I took out the 2 screws holding the grills to make cleaning easy and a snap.The inserts are dirt cheap and work great stopping the dust storm.8. I get my cat's meds from Canada where it comes in the mail and is 3 times cheaper than where I live in Maine.With an Iphone you can even send a copy of your prescription for faster service. These are some tips from me that the vet sometimes over looks because every ones living conditions are different. Living with a cat with asthma may not be easy at first but it's real do-able and I know you and others out there can do it . I know you love your cat like I do mine so it will be a cinch after a while. I have an e-mail and phone and would be glad to help with any info. One step I'm going to try is to have a friend over who has asthma and go over what may trigger an asthma attack and work from there. This whole thing has made me less like the character Pig Pen in Peanuts and more like Mr.Clean. You and kitty take care......Mark Korda

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just been anxious over her these past few days. She's been acting out of sorts, sitting in that hunched-up position with her elbows back and her feet under her, or hanging her head over things / resting her chin on the floor. Every time she starts to really get going while purring it starts to sound like she's wheezing. She's also been licking her lips, swallowing, and yawning a lot... not sure if those are related symptoms.
I can see why you're feeling anxious, these are the sorts of symptoms that would worry me, too. I'm very glad you'll be able to bring her in to the vet again tomorrow. And wow that they noticed those differences in her xrays over just two weeks.

She's a witch She's a witch , those articles are very good. I particularly like the charts. frazzfox frazzfox , I was surprised before and am even more surprised now that you vet hasn't prescribed a Flovent-type inhaler.

D Dawk , your summary of cleaning is great! And all too familiar: we also used to have humidifiers with filters, but what a pain to clean! We used a bunch of the warm Vicks humidifiers, which worked great... but then one burned out in a scary/smelly way so we switched. We now have a bunch of Honeywell Mistmates, which (since we live in Maine, too!) we bought at Marden's. We've also found that the cheaper humidifiers do just as good a job as the expensive ones and are much, much easier to clean. I bet your cat is doing well with all that cleaning!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did purchase a chamber preemptively
Then you can start the training now, you don’t need actual inhaler to start introducing the chamber to Kila, she can totally even breathe through this without the drug when she’s ready to. You’ll find lots of YouTube videos about this but if you have any specific questions, let us know.
I was surprised before and am even more surprised now that you vet hasn't prescribed a Flovent-type inhaler.
It actually makes sense to me, as I don’t think that inhaled steroids will work if the oral ones didn’t. My vet did a similar thing, we had prendisolone first and only after we knew it works (and it worked immediately in our case), we started the fluticasone. I guess the oral steroids are somewhat stronger and vets don’t want to start the inhaler process (given the training effort and regular price) before knowing that it’s the possible long term solution. I’ve heard about many cats that were fine on prednisolone, but not on the inhaler unless much bigger than recommended doses were administered.
Agreed, this is worrisome. Although some of it may be steroids side effect (my girl was lethargic on it). Still, I wouldn’t focus on the worst scenario but check with the vet what’s happening and I’d be positive that it’s the best of options.