He is just plain mean!

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok - I have had cats all of my life and I am over 50!  This one has stumped me.  We found this kitten in the street last summer (he is now 9 months old).  He was so tiny he could not yet eat solid food (we bottle fed for about a week).  We tried to find his mother/ littermates (signs, door

to door, etc.)  So decided he was apparently ours.  We had 4 other cats.  We have treated him well, socialized him, etc. but he is just "plain mean".   He picks on the other cats.  He will stretch out in the middle of the floor and try to grab and bite anyone or anything that gets within striking distance.  This is not typical kitten playful behavior.  He is growling, and wild-eyed and runs after he bites. He will lick the other cats for 2 seconds and then bite them hard enough to draw blood. They will scream in pain so I know it's not just playfulness.   He's been vetted, neutered (at 6 months) and has plenty to eat.  Constant dry food and canned twice a day.  The vet says there is nothing medically wrong with him.  I've just never had a cat act this way.  He occasionally allows me to pet him for a minute or two then gives signs that he is not happy so I stop.      Do you think there is something else wrong with him?   Two of my other cats were also orphans that we bottle fed for a rescue and kept them.  They are both sweet as can be.  They are about a year older than he is.  Since we found him in the street, all alone, I wonder if someone literally dropped him there and maybe he hit his head and that affects his behavior?  I see no obvious neurological signs and the vet said he was ok. Thanks for any opinions or advice you may have.  

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since he is only 9 months old, I would think that a lot of his behavior is just playing too rough. Some kittens who were living outside or away from their littermates behave this way because they may have not been properly socialized and didn't learn not to play too rough. He may be bullying your other cats, especially if he is getting so rough that he makes them bleed. How much space do you have for the cats? A lot of times this kind of behavior is territorial and may be resolved if the cats have more space and safe places to go. Sometimes it can be challenging when bringing a young kitten into the  house with other cats who are older. It usually helps to make sure there are enough resources to go around so that the one doing the bullying isn't able to take all for himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply.  All cats have full run of our 5 bedroom house, including upstairs.  So there is plenty of room.  We have  2 cat towers in one corner of the living room - he doesn't spend much time playing there.  I have several baskets with toys and he will chase something for a few times - he has short attention span which is understandable due to his age. He doesn't appear to be fighting over toys or food - the others give him a wide berth!  He's equally mean to people and my little 6 lb.yorkie but she will stand up to him occasionally.     Maybe I've been lucky all of these years to always have sweet kitties - he is unlike anything I've even seen before.  His name is Ash - he's solid black with a very small patch of white on his chest.  It's hard to get a good photo of him but he's a beautiful boy.  I hope he will outgrow this.  

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he gets too rough with your other cats or dog you can always try to separate them for a while to give them some alone time and play with the kitten one on one. Even with my cats I've had to from time to time have them in different rooms with the door closed for a couple of hours. I haven't had to do this since they were much younger, but if there is aggressive behavior or fighting sometimes this is the best thing you can do to prevent them from stressing out other pets in the house. This does usually help. There are pheromone sprays available like feliway that may be calming and help cats get along better but not everyone has success with these. Try to pay as much attention as you can to their behavior, sometimes it can take a while to figure out what makes the difference.

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I am trying to get into his head and figure him out.  I know his needs are being met and we are all giving him attention - but limited due to his aggression.  If he were a rescue cat with an unknown past - it might make more sense.  Since we found him before he could eat solid food, it's hard to believe that environment had anything to do with this.  Even if he were dropped by his mom or a mean owner in the middle of the street, would he remember that?  Would it damage his psyche at such a young age?

I just see this behavior as above and beyond that of a normal rambunctious male kitten.  (He has been fixed of course).  I've had many, many cats and kittens and also foster for a rescue sometimes.  

I appreciate the suggestions and I will try moving one of the cat trees and some toys into a spare bedroom and let him chill in there for awhile if he is being too aggressive.  

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue is that he didn't have other kittens the same age as him to learn from as he was developing. Without littermates, many bottle-raised kittens struggle with limits. He will likely learn and settle down as he ages. I think time alone will do a lot to help, as will active solo play with you.

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted two boy kittens at 8 weeks last July, and adopted a young adult female in December. All three of them roughhouse more than anything I've ever seen before - I've also had a lot of cats in my life! For the longest time I'd think Oscar was beating up his brother, because Oliver is definitely more passive. But Oliver can be the instigator sometimes too! And Miss Pea-Pea can definitely hold her own. She even tried to grab Oscar around his mid-section the other day while he dragged her along!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had heard before that when a kitten is rescued very tiny without siblings they can grow up to have some behavior problems.  I guess it's because they miss out on the socialization with their siblings (i.e.: sleeping and typical play time).  I recall a kitty at one of my client's homes who was rescued with it's sibling who died.  She did grow up to be quite feisty and would strike out for seemingly no reason.  She scratched me on the face once (and she loved me.)  

Last edited:

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I guess I am trying to get into his head and figure him out.  I know his needs are being met and we are all giving him attention - but limited due to his aggression.  If he were a rescue cat with an unknown past - it might make more sense.  Since we found him before he could eat solid food, it's hard to believe that environment had anything to do with this.  Even if he were dropped by his mom or a mean owner in the middle of the street, would he remember that?  Would it damage his psyche at such a young age?

I just see this behavior as above and beyond that of a normal rambunctious male kitten.  (He has been fixed of course).  I've had many, many cats and kittens and also foster for a rescue sometimes.  

I appreciate the suggestions and I will try moving one of the cat trees and some toys into a spare bedroom and let him chill in there for awhile if he is being too aggressive.  
Sometimes with kittens who are away from their mom and littermates too early they develop behavioral issues because they didnt learn from their mom and littermates the way that cats typically do. Playing with littermates or young kittens their own age helps them learn not to play too rough.

It's hard to say what they remember from that young of an age. My male cat Pumpkin I found outside when he was a kitten, he was filthy and had been living under my car and eating out of the garbage, and even though he was very friendly and got along with my cat Treasure very well from the beginning, he did go through a phase where he would play too rough and not realize he was biting too hard. He also used to hog all the food as if he thought he wasnt going to get any, he would gulp down all the food at once. He seemed to have abandonment issues, he would start crying frantically every time I would leave the house or if I took the garbage out and left a window open he would sit there crying, as if he thought I was leaving him. When I would come home, he would run to me and beg me to pet him and sometimes he would bite me afterwards, which seemed strange. Now he is older and has outgrown most of these issues, but I do believe a lot of it had to do with whatever had happened to him before I found him.

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little Pumpkin!  I know my Ash missed his mother.  I am pretty sure the mom belongs to a man several streets over who takes in strays but refuses to spay/neuter any of them.  I have another solid black

kitty (Wendell)  that we found in our yard several years ago and he looks identical. After I found him,  I took Ash over to their house and asked if they had a female with kittens.  They denied it. He would cry and cry and we tried everything

to comfort him.  I know that nothing takes the place of a real mother.  It makes me so mad - we are entering kitten season and I'm sure he'll have more kittens born without a chance a good life.  

I've put fliers in his mailbox for free spay/neuter clinics.  Other neighbors have offered to help him catch them and he refuses.  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
In response to the "advice" part...

Lucky, my 16 year old boy, was the only one of my three kitties that I already had (the other two being 14 year old girls) that would play with the boys. They absolutely adored him. Just a few months after we got the boys, Lucky was stricken with acute renal failure and died 16 days after diagnosis (this was last November). In addition to feeling the need to honor his memory in some significant way, I also knew I needed another kitty that my boys could play with. For them, it wasn't enough to have each other. They wanted their Lucky and he wasn't there anymore. So, they were trying to play with the girls, who wanted nothing of it. So, I decided I'd adopt a young female adult (because I couldn't handle another kitten - two was more than enough!). They were 6-1/2 months old when I adopted Pea-Pea. Oliver hated her at first, but after a play session with a fishbone on a string, and them jumping and falling all over each other, they became great friends.

mhill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a vet-tech friend who found a 3 week old kitten in the gutter in LA. She named her Mittens, and bottle fed her until she was able to be on dry food. A story very similar to yours. She had no other cats at the time, but this kitten was so mean. She would sit up on shelves shoulder height and wait for someone to walk by. Then she would viciously attack your face, arm, whatever she could grab onto. She is bonded with her owners and didn't do that to them, but anyone else was fair game. 

Back then I never understood how a kitten so young could be so mean. I have read plenty that supports that its crucial for them to have their mothers at that age, because she teaches them how to play and socialize as well as their littermates are great practice. Its like a human child growing up with only adults and never interacting with anyone their own age, they would probably act out more often than children who get to play and socialize with other children. I hope he grows out of it and becomes a little love bug as he gets older!! 

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I knew he was missing out without his mother.  I have 2 other bottle babies (one in my avatar) and they were about a year old when we found Ash.  They were technically still kittens but didn't give him the same interaction he would have gotten with litter mates.  They treated him more like a pesky little brother.  He would occasionally try to nurse on them if they let him get near their tummies - boy they *really* got mad at him about that.  It broke my heart to see him.  What could I have done differently?  Probably nothing.  It is just not meant for any babies - kitties or babies - to grow up without their moms.  Something to think about as we approach Mother's Day next month!  

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Posting an update on my "mean" kitty Ash - almost a year later.  He is still mean :)  We all just accept him and I made this funny picture which captures his personality to a T!  (This isn't reallly him but he is black with a tiny white patch.                         

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol at the pic above!  So glad to hear an update.  I read back through your OP and two thoughts occurred to me.  Do you have a puppy?  Maybe your mean kitty needs a rough play partner to take out his aggressions and possibly teach him what he never had the opportunity to learn from mama kitty and sibs.  I'd be careful of course to get the right breed, fairly tolerant.  The other thought is sort of a long shot.  What kind of dry food do you feed?  I'd shoot for grain free low carb (no peas or potatoes).  Cats are obligate carnivores so carbs aren't really necessary.  Maybe it's fueling his aggressions somewhat?  Even if not, it's still a good idea to make the switch if you have not already to low carb.  While I suspect his behavior has mostly to do with his unfortunate situation in his earlier days, it can't hurt to see how diet might help, if nothing else, his overall health.  

Last edited:

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Lol at the pic above!  So glad to hear an update.  I read back through your OP and two thoughts occurred to me.  Do you have a puppy?  Maybe your mean kitty needs a rough play partner to take out his aggressions and possibly teach him what he never had the opportunity to learn from mama kitty and sibs.  I'd be careful of course to get the right breed, fairly tolerant.  The other thought is sort of a long shot.  What kind of dry food do you feed?  I'd shoot for grain free low carb (no peas or potatoes).  Cats are obligate carnivores so carbs aren't really necessary.  Maybe it's fueling his aggressions somewhat?  Even if not, it's still a good idea to make the switch if you have not already to low carb.  While I suspect his behavior has mostly to do with his unfortunate situation in his earlier days, it can't hurt to see how diet might help, if nothing else, his overall health.  
Thanks for the suggestions, Ginny.  I do feed only grain-free food to all of my cats and dogs.  I work with (foster for)  a rescue for coonhounds.  I occasionally have puppies but usually 50 - 60 lb. dogs. He treats them just the same way that he does my forever animals.  He seeks out ways to drop down on them, swipe out with claws as they pass by , etc. They quickly learn to stay away - so far I've not had any cat or dog with the courage to go toe-to-toe with him.  My other 4 cats occasionally roughhouse with each other but it seems mutually fun, short lived, and nobody gets hurt.  This guy is out for blood.  My hope is he will mellow with age and meanwhile, we will just put up with him :)  Sort of like that one relative that everyone says, "Oh no, Uncle Julian is here, watch out!"

Someone gave me the good suggestion of giving him a "time out" in a room alone and I have done that from time to time when I thought he was more out of line than usual.

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a real picture of him (without the leather jacket!)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grain free is a good start, but it doesn't mean low carb, many of these have fillers with potatoes or peas.  He's gorgeous, btw.  I guess you've looked to Jackson Galaxy for some helpful hints there?

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Since he is only 9 months old, I would think that a lot of his behavior is just playing too rough. Some kittens who were living outside or away from their littermates behave this way because they may have not been properly socialized and didn't learn not to play too rough. He may be bullying your other cats, especially if he is getting so rough that he makes them bleed. How much space do you have for the cats? A lot of times this kind of behavior is territorial and may be resolved if the cats have more space and safe places to go. Sometimes it can be challenging when bringing a young kitten into the  house with other cats who are older. It usually helps to make sure there are enough resources to go around so that the one doing the bullying isn't able to take all for himself.
I'm inclined to agree with this, that at least some of the behavior is rough play. My cat is VERY loving, but he plays rough. In the foster home he couldn't be with the kittens because he didn't know how to stop himself and would pin them violently even though he was just playing. He even attacks me when he hasn't been played with in awhile. Maybe your cat losing his mom and siblings too soon has made it so he doesn't have those social boundaries.

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm inclined to agree with this, that at least some of the behavior is rough play. My cat is VERY loving, but he plays rough. In the foster home he couldn't be with the kittens because he didn't know how to stop himself and would pin them violently even though he was just playing. He even attacks me when he hasn't been played with in awhile. Maybe your cat losing his mom and siblings too soon has made it so he doesn't have those social boundaries.
That's a great way to put it - no social boundaries!  My daughter has a big soft spot for him and always speaks up and says, "He's trying to play and make friends, but he just doesn't know how!"  As I said in the first post, I've had cats continually since I was a child over 50 years ago.  I also am a volunteer bottle feeder for my local rescue, so I've had quite a few orphans pass through my life.  He is unlike ANY cat I've ever been around. I no longer think he was dropped on his head (as I wondered at first) I think it's a socialization thing that for some reason just cannot be overcome.  

He doesn't seem unhappy, he just rolls with whatever is going on.  I do worry sometimes when he is mean to my oldest cat who is in kidney failure.  It makes things a little complicated because someone has to keep an eye out to make sure he doesn't hurt Oliver.  I posted this because I was (and still am) so thrown by his behavior and wondered if it was as bizarre as it seems to me.