Having Trouble Getting Urine - What To Do?

sophiesmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a bit long - sorry. My lovely Sheba - 6 years old, big black cat, littermate sister to Sophie - needs to do a urine sample soon. A recent blood test came back with slightly concerning numbers for her kidneys, and so our vet asked for a urine sample to check whether it's definitely kidney problems or something else. Never had a problem collecting urine samples before with Sophie and previous cats, so the vet was happy for me to again get a sample at home.

A day or so later (Thursday) I used Katkor, dropped in the sample within an hour, then shortly afterwards a nurse called to say that the sample showed a high amount of protein and an infection. There were also small bits in it, but we weren't sure what they were. The litter tray was clean and disinfected before the Katkor went in.

Our vet wasn't in that day or Friday and I agreed with the nurse that I would collect another sample on Friday to send off to the lab this time for full analysis.

Friday came and went without any sample, lab samples don't get collected over the weekend and so I called Friday late afternoon to let the nurse know that it would have to wait until Monday. But here we are Monday evening and Sheba still hasn't been! Again I called and asked for a message to get to the nurse to let her know still no joy.

So I am wondering if I should keep waiting for her to wee, or if I should take Sheba to the vet and ask for her bladder to be felt and emptied. Not too keen on using cystocentis (sp?) or a catheter, but as she's a big cat I fear it might not be possible to feel her bladder!

She doesn't seem to be showing any signs of an infection - a little clingy perhaps, but otherwise ok - not panicking yet, but I'm aware that if she does have an infection or kidney trouble then we need to get diagnosed and start treatment asap. She just doesn't seem to be weeing much during the day. May have to isolate her tonight to try and get the sample...

Any advice welcome, thanks for reading if you've made it this far!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I did for Charlie that helped him to pee was.. well .. a bit mean - I locked him in my bedroom overnight. No litter. Then in then morning gave him wet food and kitty milk. 45 minutes later - I had pee!!!

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they not draw urine directly from the bladder in Canada?
I have never done an open collection. It can get contaminated so easily.
I think all three cats that see the doctor have had it done. The fourth cat does not have a collection of veterinary adventures on her resume.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they not draw urine directly from the bladder in Canada?
I have never done an open collection. It can get contaminated so easily.
We do.

Charlie's first test was done that way. He often pees early am, and as a result, he ended up staying at the vet for the day and they did draw just enough urine at the end of the day to test.

His initial test, the trip caused him unusually severe distress. (He has Asthma and mild HCM.) The trip was 40 minutes - it was a pretty bad trip. His usual vet is only 5 -10 minutes away so I think the long trip on a highway, rather than in the city, did him in. He had an Asthma attack on the highway and his heart rate skyrocketed. He even started to drool and open mouth breath on the way there. So the second time we felt best done at home.

His follow up next week I'll be collecting from home too.

You do have to be very careful with contamination for sure!

I think all three cats that see the doctor have had it done. The fourth cat does not have a collection of veterinary adventures on her resume.
:flail:@ a collection of veterinary adventures on her resume

Well I'm glad at least one doesn't have it on their resume!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cats. Amalie and Stewart have asthma, and Stew's is worse than hers, but nobody has had an attack on me in the 45 minute ride to the vet. What a stressful drive... I never thought to bring Stubby Boy's inhaler with me!
I also call him Burger and Meatball. That's just the way it is. He has no say.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S sophiesmum - Did you manage to collect, or did you have to take her to the vet?

Holy cats. Amalie and Stewart have asthma, and Stew's is worse than hers, but nobody has had an attack on me in the 45 minute ride to the vet. What a stressful drive... I never thought to bring Stubby Boy's inhaler with me!
I also call him Burger and Meatball. That's just the way it is. He has no say.
I had Charlies Asthma inhaler with me - do you think I had his Aerokat? Nope. Needless to say, it was a white-knuckled ride. The only thing I can think of is that the combo of the highway speeds vs in town speeds - and the length of time made him have a panic attack.

I will not bring him without both ever again - even if it's a short car ride.

LOl @Burger and Meatball!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiesmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S sophiesmum - Did you manage to collect, or did you have to take her to the vet?

Sheba finally wee'd onto the plastic granules in her litter tray early this morning! I nearly did a happy dance!! Dropped off the sample a couple of hours later.

I was expecting the results to be sent off to the lab, but our vet was back and a few hours later called me to say that there was no infection, no high protein or indication of kidney problems, and no need for it to go to the lab! It seems the nurse who called me last week in his absence misunderstood/misread the results, causing some confusion. As this first sample had some debris in it, it gave a false result regarding protein levels and an infection.

Needless to say I am very relieved that not only did we manage to get a sample in the end, but also the results are clear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiesmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is wonderful news!

:-)

:yess:
Yes, it most definitely is! It's been a very worrying few days and as much as we like and trust our vet, I am very pleased Sheba doesn't have to be taken in to have her bladder emptied!

:blackcat2: