Having A Semi-freakout About Cat Food

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probiotics would definitely help and are absolutely recommended after a course of antibiotics to restore the good gut bacteria. You can get it in large amounts from Vitality Science. You can open up the caps ahead of time and scoop out whatever measure needs to go in each dish.
Supplements to Improve feline Gastro Intestinal Health | Vitality Science

They also have other products that would be useful. I give mine Luxolite (bentonite clay) if she gets soft stools. They also have trial packs and excellent customer service. I'm not an employee. Simply a satisfied customer.

Pumpkin would also help. Make sure you get pumpkin puree with no other ingredients. You're bulking their stool, not baking a pie. I'd start with a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon in their food. Google has a lot on how much to give and the benefits.

Finally here's a crazy idea I had. There must be a non-toxic food dye that would come out the same color it went in. Red velvet cake does that for me. If the cats have individual dishes or you can otherwise control what goes into each one, then you can possibly identify which one is having issues by the dye coming out. You would only want to use a very small amount (a few drops) because you don't want the dye itself causing the issue you're trying to track. I would definitely ask a vet about this before you tried it. I wouldn't want you to add something that's going to give them diarrhea or make matters worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I tell you guys my cats drink a ton of water, I mean they drink a ton.i have never worried about that with them, at all. We change there water all the time, it's fresh, filtered, and they can't get enough of it.
We bought organic canned pumpkin today. The ingredient is just organic pumpkin. It has sugar in the nutrition though, I assume pumpkin is just naturally sweet? Is this still okay to give to my cats? I introduced it to them a few minutes ago, by itself, they wouldn't touch it. Then I mixed it with cat food, dry, and they loved it. Seconds later I had cats begging for the pumpkin by itself, so I put a little teaspoon on a plate, and they all had a go at it, so I definitely think they like it now. I just wanna make sure I bought the right stuff?
Also the majority of the poo is now normal, only one or two piles of soft poo when we clean the boxes now. Theo had another accident this morning, but I'm not going to be concerned with that unless he continues when his antibiotics are done, which he still have four days I think.
So I don't know if the mix of American Journey is helping or what, but things seem to be getting better. Just need to make sure about this pumpkin. I know the portions, 1 tsp a day, just want to make sure I bought the right pumpkin. It's Libby's 100% pure pumpkin.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also I wanna add in none of my cats are near overweight,and they've only ever had dry food. So I think it really depends on the feeding habits. Their coats are all silky soft, they don't shed too much, lots of energy. My two 12 year old girls have the whitest teeth ever and they've never been brushed. Not saying it's because of the dry food, all in saying is they are all healthy other than this diarrhea thing, but like I said, it's getting way better.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought organic canned pumpkin today. The ingredient is just organic pumpkin. It has sugar in the nutrition though, I assume pumpkin is just naturally sweet? Is this still okay to give to my cats? I introduced it to them a few minutes ago, by itself, they wouldn't touch it. Then I mixed it with cat food, dry, and they loved it. Seconds later I had cats begging for the pumpkin by itself, so I put a little teaspoon on a plate, and they all had a go at it, so I definitely think they like it now. I just wanna make sure I bought the right stuff?
Sounds like you bought the right stuff if pumpkin is the only ingredient. I guess sugar appears on the nutrition label where they list protein, fat, carb percentages, etc., because pumpkin is starchy, and there's probably some natural sugars in there somehow. :)

Glad your kitties seem to like it. Yay!

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay that's what I was thinking. I figured like, apples and stuff have natural sugars and it's not like you could ever remove those from fresh apples, so pumpkin is probably the same way. But yes I tricked them into trying it and it paid off :redtongue:. I hope it helps with things. I'll let you guys know within a few days I'm sure. And probably after Theo is off his antibiotics.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nexabiotic might be worth looking into as a probiotic. It has outperformed the Proviable DC for my cat with digestive issues. The S. Boulardii seems to be a key factor. If your cats are still having issues and you have the time it might be worth consideration to examine this probiotic and its ingredients as well as how they can be beneficial.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion! So far, all poops are looking normal, aside from Theo (still on antibiotics). HOWEVER, mommy was very proud of him this morning because he actually went down to one of the litterboxes and poo'ed. So no accidents so far today, which makes me happy. It was still soft served looking, but it is looking better, I think. I had a couple cats vomit today after eating, but the one is such a little piggy, she probably just ate too much or too fast. The other one also probably ate too fast, but he only puked up like five kibble. Other than that, they all seem to be doing well.

Ms. Snarls

Guardian of Mr. Mitch Snarls
Kitten
Purraise
Canned pumpkin can be pretty rich if you are worried about stomach issues. At least that means you should definitely go light on the pumpkin. I have found feeding my kitty boiled chicken helps a lot. He has been having trouble with soft stools for awhile now, I have a fecal test scheduled this week for him. Soft dark gray, almost clay-like poops for him :( I've been giving him probiotics in his wet food once a day, feeding him chicken once or twice a day, and a small amount of Buffalo Sensitive Stomach dry food.

Kitty stomach issues can be so hard to figure out and I'm bad at being patient :(