Having A Semi-freakout About Cat Food

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really, I just want opinions and experiences and maybe even suggestions.
I made a couple posts recently about one of my cats having severe diarrhea suddenly and another about multiple of my cats also having soft stools bordering diarrhea.
The one I noticed first is a year and half old. We took him to the vet, had him tested, stool sample, urine, blood, all normal, no parasites, no fever. He was put on GI anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. His course of the anti-inflammatories is done as of a day or so ago. He didn't have an accident the whole course of being on those, but this morning he pooped on the floor (which he was doing before he was on medication for about a day) which looked like soft served ice cream or pudding. He never had a problem going in the litter box before so that concerns me. He's also still on antibiotics so perhaps that's the cause of the soft stools at the moment. He still has quite a few doses left (they gave us two week's worth) so I guess I should wait until then to really tell. He also was not the only one with diarrhea, but he was the first I noticed and the only one I thought who had it, but even now some of the other cats are having it (I have 13), so probably at least four that I've noticed, but it's hard to keep track of all their individual poops.
Anyway so here is my dilemma.
I have been switching between dry foods for awhile now because the price either jumps or I notice puking or whatever. Well it got me thinking today when my sister sent me a post from someone whose cats all recently passed away because of Rachael Ray's Nutrish cat food poisoning her cats.
I have been most recently feeding all my cats 4Health which is a Tractor Company brand. I mix two different kinds, both grain free, All Life Stages and the Indoor Cat Formula. They all seemed okay with the first couple shipments; no puking, normal poops, etc., but with this last shipment (I get 8 bags every two months, 4 of each kind) they've been either puking, and not just like from eating too fast, but like multiple puking attacks in a row, which is abnormal for most of my cats, and for all of them after the switch to 4Health. We feed them 1/3 a cup twice a day. Only a select few finish all of it, the rest just goes back in the bin. My mom has stated that the five cats she has have also been puking a lot recently. The puking here has mostly stopped since probably four bags ago, but now the diarrhea is a thing and I can't help but wonder why.
I recently made a post about this, so it might be redundant, but I am freaking out a little.
I recently bought American Journey, two bags, chicken & turkey and the duck flavours. I've been mixing the duck with my mixture of the two 4Health types, 1/4 cup of the 4Health mix + 1/4 cup of the duck American Journey in hopes to fully transition to American Journey once we get through all.. eight new bags of the 4Health we just got.
The old shipment of the 4H was still in the bin, probably two bag's worth, so we decided to mix in a couple more bags of the new shipment we got in, in hopes it would not hurt their tummies. But now I'm wondering if I should have just thrown it away or stopped with the 4Health in general? I'm at such a loss. I read an article about how supplements in cat food is from a premix usually, which is often made in other countries, but they aren't required to tell you that. It seems all cat food has these supplements so now I'm worried about what I'm ACTUALLY feeding my cats, why they have diarrhea, what I should be feeding them, why this is happening, what exactly is the culprit, etc.
I can't stand not knowing and I wish I had the capabilities to make my own cat food because that seems to be the only way I'd know for sure what I was feeding them.
I just need some insight because I can't seem to calm down about this. I don't want to make them sick because of what I'M feeding them. I don't know if they're having diarrhea because of the 4H now or because I'm mixing AJ in with it now and they're actually over the initial diarrhea, I don't know if the one on antibiotics is having little accidents and not making it to the litterbox because of his antibiotics or because of the food he's eating. I don't know what exactly I'm even feeding my cats at this point or if I'm harming them in any way because of it.
I hate the internet for showing me recalls on food and times where many pets have died because of the food they were fed. I don't want that to be my cats or anyone else's cats. I just am at such a loss at what to feed them.
Anything is helpful, any insight, any opinion. I just would like someone to at least try to help me calm down. I don't expect answers, just ideas.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, I just want opinions and experiences and maybe even suggestions.
I made a couple posts recently about one of my cats having severe diarrhea suddenly and another about multiple of my cats also having soft stools bordering diarrhea.
The one I noticed first is a year and half old. We took him to the vet, had him tested, stool sample, urine, blood, all normal, no parasites, no fever. He was put on GI anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. His course of the anti-inflammatories is done as of a day or so ago. He didn't have an accident the whole course of being on those, but this morning he pooped on the floor (which he was doing before he was on medication for about a day) which looked like soft served ice cream or pudding. He never had a problem going in the litter box before so that concerns me. He's also still on antibiotics so perhaps that's the cause of the soft stools at the moment. He still has quite a few doses left (they gave us two week's worth) so I guess I should wait until then to really tell. He also was not the only one with diarrhea, but he was the first I noticed and the only one I thought who had it, but even now some of the other cats are having it (I have 13), so probably at least four that I've noticed, but it's hard to keep track of all their individual poops.
Anyway so here is my dilemma.
I have been switching between dry foods for awhile now because the price either jumps or I notice puking or whatever. Well it got me thinking today when my sister sent me a post from someone whose cats all recently passed away because of Rachael Ray's Nutrish cat food poisoning her cats.
I have been most recently feeding all my cats 4Health which is a Tractor Company brand. I mix two different kinds, both grain free, All Life Stages and the Indoor Cat Formula. They all seemed okay with the first couple shipments; no puking, normal poops, etc., but with this last shipment (I get 8 bags every two months, 4 of each kind) they've been either puking, and not just like from eating too fast, but like multiple puking attacks in a row, which is abnormal for most of my cats, and for all of them after the switch to 4Health. We feed them 1/3 a cup twice a day. Only a select few finish all of it, the rest just goes back in the bin. My mom has stated that the five cats she has have also been puking a lot recently. The puking here has mostly stopped since probably four bags ago, but now the diarrhea is a thing and I can't help but wonder why.
I recently made a post about this, so it might be redundant, but I am freaking out a little.
I recently bought American Journey, two bags, chicken & turkey and the duck flavours. I've been mixing the duck with my mixture of the two 4Health types, 1/4 cup of the 4Health mix + 1/4 cup of the duck American Journey in hopes to fully transition to American Journey once we get through all.. eight new bags of the 4Health we just got.
The old shipment of the 4H was still in the bin, probably two bag's worth, so we decided to mix in a couple more bags of the new shipment we got in, in hopes it would not hurt their tummies. But now I'm wondering if I should have just thrown it away or stopped with the 4Health in general? I'm at such a loss. I read an article about how supplements in cat food is from a premix usually, which is often made in other countries, but they aren't required to tell you that. It seems all cat food has these supplements so now I'm worried about what I'm ACTUALLY feeding my cats, why they have diarrhea, what I should be feeding them, why this is happening, what exactly is the culprit, etc.
I can't stand not knowing and I wish I had the capabilities to make my own cat food because that seems to be the only way I'd know for sure what I was feeding them.
I just need some insight because I can't seem to calm down about this. I don't want to make them sick because if what I'M feeding them. I don't know if they're having diarrhea because of the 4H now or because I'm mixing AJ in with it now and they're actually over the initial diarrhea, I don't know if the one on antibiotics is having little accidents and not making it to the litterbox because of his antibiotics or because of the food he's eating. I don't know what exactly I'm even feeding my cats at this point or if I'm harming them in any way because of it.
I hate the internet for showing me recalls on food and times where many pets have died because of the food they were fed. I don't want that to be my cats or anyone else's cats. I just am at such a loss at what to feed them.
Anything is helpful, any insight, any opinion. I just would like someone to at least try to help me calm down. I don't expect answers, just ideas.
Whew!!! I'm exhausted!
I don't doubt you're worried for good reasons but yep, you need to relax and check this out rationally.
Could you do probiotics, especially for the cat on antibiotics, for a few weeks? Antibiotics can make the gut really messed up sometimes, they strip away ALL bacteria including the good and probiotics can help restore that.
It's really hard to say if it's the 4 Health or American Journey, or food at all, causing the problems.
The recall situation can be overwhelming and make you crazy but it's a good thing so you can at least be aware if there's a problem with a food that you're feeding, and if you're seeing problems, you have potential answers.
With 13 cats, it's almost impossible to know who's doing what and who's reacting to what unless you're a multi-billionare (which I am not).

If I were in your shoes, I would consider giving every one a short 8-12 hour fast (don't fast cats for long, but with belly issues sometimes it does help to let their stomachs rest) and then add probiotics to their food if you can, see what you get, and go from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What sort of probiotics could I add? Is unflavoured plain yogurt okay for cats? It has sugar so I wanna say it probably isn't. And we feed the cats every 12 hours, so they sort of do fast every day if you look at it that way? I dunno, I'm just the type of person who has to know everything about things that mean a lot to me, and my cats are definitely number one in my life, so it kills me not knowing what's going on. They're all active and acting normal other than the poop situation.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What sort of probiotics could I add? Is unflavoured plain yogurt okay for cats? It has sugar so I wanna say it probably isn't. And we feed the cats every 12 hours, so they sort of do fast every day if you look at it that way? I dunno, I'm just the type of person who has to know everything about things that mean a lot to me, and my cats are definitely number one in my life, so it kills me not knowing what's going on. They're all active and acting normal other than the poop situation.
Some brands of yogurt add a lot of unnecessary crap. I don't buy Yoplait or anything but I look for the ones that have grade A cultured milk, cultures, and nothing else. That I'm OK feeding my cats (and dogs...and me if I feel really special.)
Look at the labels. Use common sense. Some brands (Stoneyfield is what we use as a starter, whole milk) don't add junk. Those brands IMO are fine! And most cats like it.
If you see a brand that adds sugars, dyes, "mystery" things, and cookies at the bottom, skip it.
Goats milk is a nice gut helper, if you can find it.
Tummyworks is a good powdered brand of 'biotics, and most cats can't resist forti flora (made by purina).
a 12 hour fast is perfect.
You said you are wanting to know why things are the way they are....I like your moxie. I'm not being sarcastic at all (that "why" stuff reminds me of me!), I think this is a really good thing. And questioning things is the sign of an owner that demands an answer more than "well, sometimes these things happen" or "the latest study says..."

Aside from food changing/transition, has there been any other recent upsets in the house lately?
We had a colony we moved temporarily a year or so ago to do some big time remodeling work (I'm still coughing up dust from it) and they ALL got a serious case of the Worlds Smelliest Crap ever. No one was sick, but the smell made me invest money into the nose clip business because...p-u. It was bad.:eek:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did also notice the main two I saw with diarrhea initially and the one I saw a couple days ago are the three who often beg for the tap water to be turned on so they can drink from the faucet (all half Maine coon, go figure) but the water here is quite hard, so maybe that is what was causing the initial belly problems? We have a Brita filtering system for the cats' water, so we fill the top container with tap and it filters into the larger bottom portion of the container where you can draw water out after. And they drink a lot of water here, we have a fountain too which we put the filtered water into even though it has a filter in it as well, and if the other cats (to my knowledge) weren't having super loose stools, maybe it could be the tap water? I have made a decision today to stop letting those three drink faucet water, even though they're gonna be mad at me about it. I'm trying everything to help them, I just hope something actually starts looking positive

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did also notice the main two I saw with diarrhea initially and the one I saw a couple days ago are the three who often beg for the tap water to be turned on so they can drink from the faucet (all half Maine coon, go figure) but the water here is quite hard, so maybe that is what was causing the initial belly problems? We have a Brita filtering system for the cats' water, so we fill the top container with tap and it filters into the larger bottom portion of the container where you can draw water out after. And they drink a lot of water here, we have a fountain too which we put the filtered water into even though it has a filter in it as well, and if the other cats (to my knowledge) weren't having super loose stools, maybe it could be the tap water? I have made a decision today to stop letting those three drink faucet water, even though they're gonna be mad at me about it. I'm trying everything to help them, I just hope something actually starts looking positive
If they like running water, would they like a water fountain? We have one for a few of our cats and they're fascinated by it. This way they could enjoy running, dripping water but you could keep the water filled with the filtered water.
Chin up. It'll be OK, it just takes some detective work. I know you're frustrated but don't let it drive you crazy.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will have to look at the pet store maybe tomorrow for some sort of probiotic. I heard people feed their cats pumpkin? Would that be helpful? I guess I just am concerned about my cat going on the floor, he just did it again. Would this be considered normal since he has diarrhea? I even put a litterbox in the area so he had one, and he still just had an accident. So that has been twice today, the first 24 hours after he stopped with his anti-inflammatory. Should I be really concerned about this?

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do have a fountain, I mentioned it somewhere. I know I'm writing a lot, my mind is just racing. But yes we have a fountain and they love it (I have one who is actually scared of it though, he was a stray and very skittish, still very jumpy even after being inside for probably three years or so now) but other than that they mostly all like it, but they still want the faucet turned on, even in the bathtub. And my thinking was, well hey, they want water, that's good, might as well let them, but now after thinking about it, I wouldn't drink that water, so why should I let them? Like I said, the water here is actually quit hard, like 150-170 ppm. One of my cats has had on again off again urine problems. He can empty it, but there are times he goes for litterbox to litterbox trying to go even though he just did, and we squat for over a minute. We took him to the vet and they said cystitis and that there isn't much you can do since it's mostly caused from stress or other things and it usually passed within a couple weeks. But yeah, he is one of the water faucet culprits. So that very well could be causing his issues too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding only dry food? If so, that's probably the problem. Maybe try half canned food, half dry food. I'm almost certain that will help the poop problems.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just tried to give Theo yogurt. Did not want. He licked it like once and looked at me like I was crazy. It was a plain yogurt with a very short ingredient list. A couple of my other cats ate it for him, but yeah, he did not want it at all :headshake:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So canned food would help reduce diarrhea And accidents? What would be the reasoning for that? I've never fed my cats canned food unless they were sick and that was the only thing that was appetising to them. Is it a water thing? Because they all drink a lot of water. Just curious why canned food would help because I've never been a wet food cat person. If it would help, then yeah I'll try it, of course. I just wanna know why it is beneficial. I wouldn't even know how to portion canned food? Would I replace one of their meals with canned food? So instead of 2/3 cup of dry food a day, do 1/3 dry and then ??? canned?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wet food has fewer fillers and additives then dry food. It tends to be more biologically appropriate and easier to digest. Easier to digest means less digestive issues.

You do want to avoid products with guar gum and carrageenan though. Those two are thickeners that have been tied to intestinal irritation. Counterproductive.

You can also do freeze dried foods which have even fewer added items, usually.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food is very important for the moisture.

This is what I do:
7am:
1/4 cup wet food
1/8 cup plus 1 Tablespoon dry food

7pm:
1/4 cup wet food
1/8 cup plus 1 Tablespoon dry food.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you do me a favour and maybe list some canned foods or dry-freeze foods that would be good? Just something to start my search with because I am so naive to that side of cat food it isn't even funny. Isn't it bad for their teeth though? I have one cat who has really bad gingivitis. We rinse his mouth with cat mouth rinse every day and I use a cat toothpaste on his gums and teeth with my finger every night too, which is helping but I don't wanna introduce wet food if it's going to make his gums really bad again. We are just now progressing with it. He has normal poops and isn't one of the issue cats at the moment. But if canned food wouldn't hurt his teeth or gums, I'll definitely consider it. What do these foods usually cost? We get roughly 76 lbs of food a month for about $60 - $90 (4Health is cheaper but when or if we go to American Journey it'll be a bit more expensive). We just have a budget and I really can't go over that. For 13 cats I wouldn't know the proper feeding for them all.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet usually recommends Proviable-DC as a probiotic, but we haven't had much luck with it for antibiotic induced diarrhea. But RenewLife Ultimate Flora Extra Care 30 Billion worked like magic for our cats, and the diarrhea finally stopped within a day or two. Plus, you can buy the RenewLife pretty much anywhere, e.g., Walmart, H-E-B, etc.

There's another one that worked well for one of our cats. Lemme go check my Amazon order history. Brb. :)

ETA: Here 'tis: Nexabiotic, which contains S. boulardii

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have also had trouble in the last where I've bought canned food as a treat, and my cats just lick up the liquid and won't eat the solid portions of it. I know I once tried adding a little water to Theo's dried food and he usually eats EVERYTHING but he would not touch that food. I know it isn't the same as canned, but my fear is that with 13 cats it is going to be expensive to feed them canned food and have the chance of them not even wanting to eat it properly. Is there anything else I could add to dry food? I mentioned pumpkin earlier, would that be good?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Canned food isn't any better or worse for teeth. I tend to mix my cats wet food with water making it more liquid. So they don't actually chew very much with wet food. This page exaplins better about how dry food doesn't help teeth, 6 Reasons why dry food does not clean your cat’s teeth - Anita Kelsey - Cat Behaviourist

The problem may be your budget. Some of the classic varities of Friskies and Fancy feast may be fairly good for you. American Journey and 4Health both have wet versions. Most cats need about 20 calories per pound so you should be able to figure out about how much food you'd need for your cats by combining their weight, multiplying by 20 and dividing by calories per pound. Even switching to just a mix of dry and wet could be beneficial for your cats.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So that RenewLife supplement is cat-safe then? Like 100%? Sorry I'm so over the top with all of this, I just don't wanna mess something up more.