Having A Semi-freakout About Cat Food

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food does not harm the teeth. Dry food can. Fancy Feast is a good brand that is low cost. Check out chewy.com to get an idea of the price range you want to go. My cat Peaches has a sensitive tummy and does well on the Dr Else's canned. Also feed it to Coco. It is good to feed your cats a wide variety of meats. My cat Maggie eats wellness Core mostly. It has more meat in it which is what she needs. Pricy so I am going to switch to Dave's cats meow. Peaches and Coco get 3/4 5 1/2can a day split in 3 meals Maggie one whole can. Lately I have been giving them pate morning and night and split a 3 oz can mid day. Fish is high in mercury so no more than once a week. They alternately eat chicken,turkey,duck beef,lamb,quail. Beef can cause loose stools so beware

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are roughly 150 lbs total, not including my mom's 5 cats whom we also buy the food for. But let's just say my cats here, 150 lbs, multiplied by 20 is 3,000... how do you figure out calories per pound? This is all so confusing :stars:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If your concerned about their teeth you can get treats for dental and brush their teeth

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Again, has anyone tried pumpkin with their cat's dry food? Because as of right now that would probably be most affordable for us and would probably be the first thing I'd wanna try for them, then moving on to more pricey things like wet food. If I had a couple cats it would be fine, no problem, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but with 18 total between me and my mom, it just is hard. That's probably like 18 cans of food a day, which is crazy to think about.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So that RenewLife supplement is cat-safe then? Like 100%? Sorry I'm so over the top with all of this, I just don't wanna mess something up more.
Well, one of our cats has FIV, herpes, chronic infections, food allergies, etc., and the RenewLife has never been a problem for him, even with his compromised immune system and other health issues.

But if you do a search on this site for 'RenewLife', I think there are some old posts that may help to put your mind at ease. :)

Wish you and yours all the best. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, has anyone tried pumpkin with their cat's dry food? Because as of right now that would probably be most affordable for us and would probably be the first thing I'd wanna try for them, then moving on to more pricey things like wet food. If I had a couple cats it would be fine, no problem, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but with 18 total between me and my mom, it just is hard. That's probably like 18 cans of food a day, which is crazy to think about.
Chewy has pumpkin powder and pumpkin treats. Maybe its in a petstore too

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ack! Dang it.

I was trying to edit my previous post, and screwed up. Guess my brain has already gone to bed. ;)

Just wanted to add that you'll need to put a space between 'Renew' and 'Life' when you do a search.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, thats hard! I can understand why you feed dry!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Friskies Pate, it's only 50 cents for the big can at Walmart. :)
I don't give my cats a full can each, they each get about 3/4 of a can per day.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Friskies Pate, it's only 50 cents for the big can at Walmart. :)
I don't give my cats a full can each, they each get about 3/4 of a can per day.
But the composition is pretty bad, though. They might be better off on grain free dry food don’t you think?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They might be better off on grain free dry food don’t you think?
For me personally, no way. My cats get urinary problems on too much dry food, no matter how expensive/fancy it is.
They do better on Friskies canned food than any dry food, no matter if it's grain free or not.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry if my tone sounded rude in that last post. Here, let me put a smiley face. :)

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry if my tone sounded rude in that last post. Here, let me put a smiley face. :)
I didn’t read it as rude! Don’t worry. I picked it up yesterday at the grocery store because I was looking for something cheap to feed my cats while we wait for our Chewy shipment, and when I saw the ingredients I thought nope. Better off on fancy feast or those other similar brands for a few days...

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m talking about the really big cans that look like they’re for dogs at first glance. Maybe they weren’t even Friskies and now I’m the one freaking out ahaha

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhh dammit I’m sorry, it was 9lives Meaty Pâté. That was pretty nope to me but extra cheap. Although yes some will argue that it’s still better than dry food.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a saying that goes around on this site: “The worst wet food is still better than the best dry food.”
Cats don’t naturally drink water as much as other animals. In the wild they get all their moisture from the meats and animals they kill. That’s why wet food is more “biologically appropriate” than dry food. Dry food is also a huge amount of carbs that cats would not get in the wild either. They tend to get over weight on it because their body can’t process that many carbs. HOWEVER, the main thing is finding a food that your feel comfortable feeding and can afford. I just wanted to add more information to the wet vs dry food talk.