Have A Question About Meat!

Binxandlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. I have two cats currently - Binx, my almost 2 year old male tuxedo and Lilith, my 7 month old female manx. Binx has been fed commercial raw food (Rad Cat) since he was around Lily's age. I adopted Lily from the shelter when she was about 8 weeks old. She was fed a prescription dry diet at the shelter (blech) and canned kitten food by me up until a few weeks ago, when I started making my own raw diet for both of them. She scarfs it down happily, and so far, no issues. Some poop problems at first, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by some probiotics. I have two happy, healthy, active kitties.

My first batch of food was made with chopped up chicken thighs, raw egg yolks, liver, heart, and supplements. I don't own a grinder, so chopping all of that meat took me HOURS. I looked into buying pre ground/chopped muscle meats and stumbled upon hare today. I made my first order which is arriving tomorrow. I think the company itself is wonderful, but I paid over $50 just for 10 pounds of boneless ground turkey thigh. Cheaper than buying 2 pound tubs of Rad Cat ($15 each), but still. I figured there had to be a cheaper way.

My main question is: would it really be so bad to use pre ground turkey from a high end grocery store? I have read the risks, bacteria and all that, but in the long run I think it would be a much easier option for me. I have a Whole Foods close to me and I thought perhaps I could buy chubs of organic ground chicken or turkey to make their food with. I plan on freezing the meat beforehand to be extra careful. If it's really too risky, then of course I'll stick with ordering online. I was just curious if anyone here has had any experience doing the same thing I plan to. Thank you for any advice!

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked into getting ground turkey at the grocery store, but 99% of it had added stuff, like vinegar, rosemary, or something else (I don't recall). I think they add this stuff as preservatives. The only one I found that didn't have that stuff was outrageous$$$. For a while I got boneless turkey thighs at a small butcher shop/meat market, then cut it up and ground it myself. I don't have a big electric grinder, I have a small hand operated grinder/pasta maker that attaches to the countertop with suction. It does the job, but it's time consuming. I eventually decided to get the boneless ground turkey from Hare Today. I also get from them turkey hearts and livers which I grind to add to the boneless ground turkey, along with Alnutrin.
( I was already getting rabbit and other stuff from them. ) Then I don't have concerns about freshness or unknown additives. And price-wise it's not much more for me. If you can order a larger amount of meat from Hare Today it makes it more cost effective.. I finally got a small chest freezer and get about 55 pounds each time. If you can find turkey or chicken without the additives and you feel it's fresh and it's affordable, go for it. These things vary depending on where you live and what's available.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using pre-ground, pre-frozen turkey from the grocery sparingly, as I read that my store brand is HPP'd (not on the label). I wouldn't use the "fresh" ground turkey in the refrigerated case that is sold thawed.

I had a very similar question about a month ago. Link:
Grocery Store Pre-ground Meats: Yes Or No?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do not have a whole foods. My concerns are everything sitting in the case to be sold is frozen and defrosting. Ground seems to be the same. I've read a lot about not all ingredients being listed. I'm paying for the ease of hare today but my cat also has allergies.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ground turkey I've bought at the grocery is HPP'd, frozen at the plant, shipped frozen, and in the grocer's freezer case in 1lb chubs. No different from Rad Cat or other "cat foods", with the obvious exception that it's 100% boneless turkey.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The ground turkey I've bought at the grocery is HPP'd, frozen at the plant, shipped frozen, and in the grocer's freezer case in 1lb chubs. No different from Rad Cat or other "cat foods", with the obvious exception that it's 100% boneless turkey.
Oh cool I can check the grocery after transitioning to see if she can handle turkey.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do about 8 lbs of turkey thighs a month at $1.99-2.49 lb from the grocer and stand there with a pair of kitchen shears and cut out the bones, tear off the skin and cut them into little pieces for the cats to chew on with their bone in ground rabbit that I get from hare today.