Haunted by my much-loved cat dying in a carrier on the way to get euthanized in the middle of the night

dulcemir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted an earlier thread about my baby cat dying in the middle of the night. I continue to be haunted by the fact that he died in a carrier on the way to the 24-hour emergency vet to get euthanized.

After I heard these terrible howls from him (the last sounds I’d hear from him) at 1:00 a.m. (I was, thankfully, still up), I ran to him and tried to console him. He was on the ground in his own urine, his pupils were dilated, his tongue was out and was no longer pink, and he was having difficulty breathing. I knew it was the end, and I had to get him to the 24-hour vet to get euthanized and die with dignity ASAP.

I put him in my bath towel, which had my scent, to comfort him. My husband was frantically dressing our newborn to take her with us. I suggested we take him to the vet in the towel. My husband insisted, quite assertively, that we take him in his carrier, since we didn’t know what state he was in. Could he thrash around in the car? Could he do something unexpected? He did not know. But I knew. I knew he was in his last minutes of life, and I knew I wanted to hold him in a towel in the car.

My husband brought the carrier down and said it was irresponsible to not put him in the carrier. I relented and put him in there. Once I put him in the carrier, he moved around a bit, hitting the sides of the carrier. I’m not sure if it was from knowing that he was in the carrier (his most hated place, and a space he associated with trips to the vet to treat his IBD) or from general disorientation. Regardless, it was pretty upsetting for me to witness.

The vet is less than 10 minutes away, but by the time we got there, my baby already died. He died in the car, in a carrier on my lap, while I was wailing in the car. He died in a space he was the most terrified of.

I’m so, so angry I listened to my husband instead of following my instincts of knowing that it would be best to just hold him in the car. I know my cat the best, so why didn’t I just override my husband’s suggestions? I am also incandescent with rage at my husband for not listening to me about transporting my baby in a towel on my lap.

I feel like I betrayed my cat. He lived a long, wonderful life full of love, and he died in a dreaded carrier. I’m so disturbed by what happened.

I don’t know what I’m seeking here. I know fellow cat lovers in the other thread suggested he died in peace and that all that mattered was that he heard me and smelled me. But I can’t get over failing my cat in his final minutes of life.

One of the saddest things on this site is reading people who’ve posted in search of solutions for their cat’s illnesses, and then finding subsequent posts about the cat they were posting about dying. I’m looking at the previous posts I’ve made about my baby’s IBD, and I will read this specific one with tears in my eyes in the future.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I posted on your first thread, but this is apparently weighing so deeply on your mind! Let me ask you one question. IF you had known for certain that he would die on the way to the vet, what would you have done? I'm betting you'd have told your husband that your baby would be in your lap, no matter what he thought about it. Here is the thing...hindsight is 20/20 because we cannot know what we do not know. Let yourself grieve for his loss, but not for your own actions. And remember, he is in That Place Where All Things Are Known, and his only sorrow, now, is your sorrow. He knows you wanted him in your lap. He knows why he was not, and that your heart was holding him close with every turn of those car wheels.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you are going through is normal. You are so mad at yourself and what you think SHOULD have been done, you have directed that anger towards your husband. Redirected Aggression. I did the same thing myself. He had nothing to do with what happened. your husband's thoughts were most likely centered on driving safely and for the safety of your newborn. Cats can gain super strength at the end, and if he would have hurt your child, you would have never forgiven yourself either. I had a cat suddenly find enough strength to leap under my brake pedal, I was coming up on a busy highway, trying to drive and pull a fighting cat out was not easy. This guilt will come no matter what may have happened, I can guarantee you.
Being with both humans and cats that have died countless times, I can say with certainty that if he was howling, his tongue and color were as you described, he was already losing enough oxygen to be incoherent. My Burt woke me up and sounds exactly like your boy. He was thrashing and trying to walk it was horrible. I held him and he took hours to die. Every vet in town was called to an overturned cattle truck, so we had no way to end it.
You are going through PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder, i did too, for a long time. it took over my entire life. I had a hand in killing my beloved Chrissy and I will never forgive myself for that. But I know she did. I couldn't even sleep in the same room where she slept with me. I had to take Benadryl to even sleep at all. Don't let death rule your world. Yes, you must mourn, but you have a new precious life in your house too, you must make that baby's world one of love and happiness, not sadness and tears, or you will have guilt over that too. we are here on this forum to tell you that happiness IS possible again.
Your boy's death sounds normal for the end of life. all life fights against the darkness. I'm sure he held on to your love, holding him or not. He could feel you no matter what. You were close and that is all that matters. DON'T beat yourself up over this, he would never want that for someone he loves. He is so grateful for the life and the love you gave him, and only wants the best for you. Don't dwell on the end, celebrate the life. Take each hour as it comes, get through the pain and take one day at a time......,.PS let that anger go that is directed at your husband. He is a man, thinking of his loved ones that were in the car with him. He had to be in charge and try to calm the situation. He did the best he could.......

Last edited: