Has Your Cat Growled During Play? Been Scared?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just now, I took our "da-bird" toy, it's new... and I was playing alone with Spartacus. He was pouncing, chasing, catching the feather. Everything was normal... but then..

One time, after he caught the feather and was trying to "carry it away," but he wouldn't drop it. I thought maybe he just couldn't figure out where to put his kill... I didn't force it out of his mouth because he had a really tight grip, so I was waiting and holding the wand part while the feather was in his mouth. I noticed he didn't like the string attached to the feather, so I thought maybe he could "take it away" if I put the wand part down (he's done this before, but with a different wand toy). But then, he was staring at the wand part on the floor, just staring.. but I didn't realize this was a "dangerous/scary" position yet, as Spartacus is always just sweet and kind and playful. So, I tried to see if I pet him on the head and distracted him if he would drop the feather... it has worked in the past...

But instead he growled and he swiped at me! I have never heard him growl before, or swipe! These are two new behaviors... For a second I thought, what if some piece of the toy was stuck in his mouth? hurting him? ... I left the room to see if he would calm down, but when I came back he was still staring at the wand part. So I went and got treats to see if he would let go. That worked, now he is acting like his sweet old self again.

Do you think he was just really scared by the wand part of the toy???? Should I ever play with it again with him?

Has anyone had similar experiences?

It was so out of character for him and concerned me, and I feel bad our play session ended with aggression, but then treats.. but uhh so concerning to hear that growl! I've only heard that on TV or with cats fighting outside, so I wanted to post this here. thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think you could consider maybe retiring that toy. It's hard to say of course but it almost sounds as though he was thinking the part on the floor was a snake or something like that, and you, or anything/anyone who touched him at that point would have gotten the growl/smack :)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yoshi went through a stage where he'd have a toy in his mouth and growl as he walked past another toy. It was like he thought the toy on the floor was going to steal the "captured" toy in his mouth. I never tried to pet him during that time. I was just happy he was playing on his own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I think you could consider maybe retiring that toy. It's hard to say of course but it almost sounds as though he was thinking the part on the floor was a snake or something like that, and you, or anything/anyone who touched him at that point would have gotten the growl/smack :)
Thanks for your reply and I think you're probably right :( it's too bad because our other cat has been having a ball with it, jumping like no tomorrow. Waah, I thought this was one was gonna be fun, but it does seem like it's too much and too risky now

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yoshi went through a stage where he'd have a toy in his mouth and growl as he walked past another toy. It was like he thought the toy on the floor was going to steal the "captured" toy in his mouth. I never tried to pet him during that time. I was just happy he was playing on his own.
hmmm that's so interesting! thanks for sharing that. I'll be curious to see if Spartacus does this again, with any different toys. And yeah, now I know not to touch a cat in full-on cat mode. I didn't get hurt thankfully, it was just scary

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t give up on the toy unless it causes a fight between the two cats. Your guy is just catching his prey and wants to hang onto it. Some kittens will growl if they have their favorite toy in their mouth even if no one is trying to take it away from them. It is harmless and I think sort of cute. If he gets wound up like than then drop the wand and wait for him to get tired of hanging on to it. As he gets older he will figure out the fun is going to stop if he doesn’t let go and he will start dropping it. You could always have a second so you could continue play with your other cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with you, I'd hate to eliminate a favorite from your other kitty :) maybe play where that one is for the other cat ...

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!
If he gets wound up like than then drop the wand and wait for him to get tired of hanging on to it.
*that's a nice idea, willow! Hahah she shouldn't stay like that forever, right?

I think I'll just monitor carefully when I bring the toy out.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I don’t think he was afraid of the wand part. He doesn’t understand that you were the one doing the moving so he was probably staring at it was because he was waiting for it to start moving.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I don’t think he was afraid of the wand part. He doesn’t understand that you were the one doing the moving so he was probably staring at it was because he was waiting for it to start moving.
Really? So then why do you think he growled and swiped? He didnt want me to take it?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? So then why do you think he growled and swiped? He didnt want me to take it?
The simple reason? Cats are weird and sometimes wild when they get in the mood. I don't think he was afraid of the wand at all. The growling/swiping TO ME sounds like an overstimulated reaction. He was in a playful mood, he caught his kill and was amped up on adreneline, then a hand came toward him and "is this a toy? is this something taking my kill away? I must protect my kill." and he growled and swiped.

The fact that he shortly after went back to his normal self shows that nothing damaging happened and that he wasn't scared at all. I would not retire the toy. He seems to like it.