Has there been a change made in the quality / type of all-clay litter?

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve been using this product for years: Cat's Pride Natural - Cat's Pride and it has always worked fine; however, most recently I bought several bags and it seems to be a different material. The color is more grayish rather than beige. I’m worried that my cat doesn’t seem to be using it.

I have two litter boxes. The one is still full from a previous bag (more beige color). She’s using that box exclusively now rather than the one that has the new stuff.

I wrote the company to ask if they changed this is any way. I could be in trouble here if she decides she doesn’t like what’s in the new bags. If such is the case I’ll need to do some quick research on other brands. I’ve always been so pleased that their product is odor free and, most importantly, it has always worked for her. Once the box that has litter from previous bags gets changed, I’m not sure what’ll happen. I don't need her to "think outside the box" along with the other issues I'm dealing with!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, if in fact you do need to change, take a look at Petco's brand of cat litters, they're called SoPhresh. I use a combination of clay based plus their grass seed litter and the dust is next to zero. I haven't purchased any recently so I can't speak to whether things have changed with all brands of clay.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not familiar with that particular litter, but I've found the Arm & Hammer Double Duty litter has seemed to be more dusty than it used to be. So it's certainly possible the company has made changes to the litter you use.

Since you're concerned your cat may not like the new bag, and since you have some of the older bag left, maybe try putting a bit of that on top of the new and see if it makes a difference.

TCS has an article on When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter [Step By Step Guide] - TheCatSite btw, in case you're interested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and since you have some of the older bag left,
I had finished the older bag a few days ago - that stuff had gone in the litter box that's in her crate and has already been pretty well cleaned out already since she had used it so much. There's still some older litter in that box though. See what happens in a few more days. The company's website info states that they get their clay from different sources - hence the varied colors, etc. - but that the processing is the same regardless. See what I hear from them directly.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to all man-made scents, so had to shop around to find what we needed. It's not 100% dust free, but pretty good compared to many other brands. And it's scent free. It's
Wal-Mart's Special Kitty litter.