Has anyone who had a cat stop eating ever had it end well?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M M-train Well that was a mix bag of sadness and joy. I'm so sorry to hear about the Vet and very respectful of you to consider not spreading rumors or / and someones personal business by naming them. XOXO I tip my hat to you big time.

The good news is JD is treatable!!!

Having had a cat with a UTI and then two lots of crystals I can tell you - this is totally doable. You've going to have be helicopter daddy and Mommy a bit though.

- Make sure he's getting lots of fluids - this is a time where you want a cat to pee. You want him to pee to help get rid of the infection and flush it out of the system so keeping him hydrated is important. Extra water, kitty milk, wet food. That kind of thing. Adding pumkin to wet food is a good idea too. DOn't drown him though - we don't want to kill him with kindness lol.

- Low stress. Try as best as you can to keep his stress level low while you're trying to help him.

One reason a cat will not eat is when they are a bit constipated, and what no one tells you, (Vets forget all the time) is that can sometimes be a UTI. When it's painful to pee, they hold everything in, including poop. That then causes constipation and in turn causes them to not feel well enough to eat. It's a terrible cycle.

I don't know what your budget is like but this is something I add to my Charlies wet food with a bit of pumpkin for UTI's - it's not cheap (33.00 a bottle US but I don'yt know if you are in the US or a Canada or...) but it lasts 3 -4 months so works out cheap due to how long it lasts. It does make them pee more so again we go back to hydration is important.

They look awesome those two! XOXOXOX

I'm still holding you hard in my positive thoughts but this is very promising.

PS remember the links that Furballsmom Furballsmom gave above about for Vet help if you are in the USA and need it. :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M-train

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried to get him to eat something tonight, and rubbed some canned catfood on his nose.

He tasted it, but it made it spit up foam. I'm still not optimistic about this at all.

The only thing I think that happened today was the my wallet got smaller by around $260, and my cat will still die. Sorry for the bitterness.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand how you feel based on all your experiences. So it's okay. I totally understand.

Did the vet take a look at the teeth?

Could kitty have gotten into anything toxic at all?

Have you tried any of the feeding ideas?

At UTI is treatable if that's what it is. You can do this!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Give the antibiotics time to start working, he should start to feel better soon. It is good that he got fluids. I suggest leaving some dry food out so he can eat when the mood strikes him, and continue to try and tempt him with small amounts of wet food. Hang in there!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The foaming could be from the acid that has accumulated in his stomach due to the fact that he hasn't been eating. But it could also be a result from Gastroenteritis and irritable bowel syndrome. Has your vet discussed either of those with you? The treatment is not expensive for either one.

Please try to get some water down him.

Last edited:

M-train

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he seems to be doing a bit better he is nibbling on some food, not much but better than nothing. He actually ran a little bit today, which may be a good sign.

Tonight he seems a bit tired, but I guess he is still getting over the infection. Also, my wife gives him a very little bit of vasoline [ a few hours after his medicen] which should help with any constipation issues.

Currently JD is sleeping by my wife in bed [where he always sleeps this time of the night, until I turn in to put him, and April to bed].

I hope this story has a happy ending, not only for myself, but anyone else who has never seen a sick cat/friend on the edge of infinity, come back from the tears.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in my 50s, and have owned/loved cats all of my life. However, I don't think I've ever seen a cat come back to health after its stopped eating, .....ever.

My best little bud, 9 year old male Main Coon mix, has stopped eating approx two days now [the local vet was closed today]. He started vomiting up food, and yesterday it was just foam.

I bought a can of every small variety of cat food in the store today [ie beef, chicken, seafood, shrimp, etc] , including tuna, and smoke salmon, and laid a small portion out for him, and he just don't want it.

He has been an indoor only cat, and has always been in great health, but I know that cats can appear to be fine until they aren't which is usually too late.

I know its just a matter of time now, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has had one come back to health instead of passing away? Also, I can't figure out why I keep hearing of people owning cats until they are 15-20 years old as all of our cats, all indoor for the past decades, all seem to die around 7 years old [present cat being the exception].
I am so sorry to hear that your sweet little man is not feeling well. Nine is not at all old for a cat. You say 7 is about as old as your cats live. This is unusual. In these times, with well-cared-for indoor cats, 10 is considered the start of "mature" and it is not uncommon for cats in these circumstances to live into their 20s.
Has his vet seen him? I would start with a checkup as soon as possible.
Our beloved Rani stopped eating for three days, for reasons unknown to me. After those three days, she started eating normally. She was 16, and lived to 19.
Gerber stage 2 baby food in the small jars (with no spices) -- chicken, beef, and lamb -- is often used to entice a cat to eat again. Also, you can puree his regular food or a food he shows interest in, in your blender or food processor, with some water or KMR (KItten Milk Replacer) and feed him via syringe (available from his vet or at a lot of "pet" supply stores or online). There are also veterinary preparations such as Clinicare liquid that may be helpful. Something isn't right here. Your cat should not be passing at such a young age if he has been healthy prior to this. STRONGLY recommend vet check immediately.

M-train

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I can't say at the moment, as I've been very busy getting orders out, but it looks as if he has urinated [from cleaning out the litter box as his urinary habits are different than Aprils]. I will update in a few more days if anything major happens. Thanks again for all of the support, and helpful advice.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple years ago one of my Cats started having similar symptoms to what you described. She started vomiting frequently, sometimes just foam sometimes right after eating, and had diarrhea more frequently than she ever had previously. My Vet diagnosed her with IBD but he was at a loss after several prescription diets had no effect and the only thing that did any good were steroid injections, but that is dangerous long term because of side effects. I started doing my own research after she had lost close to 2.5 LB and became very thin because nothing was working, and I decided to try her on a raw diet even though I was rather skeptical. After several weeks the vomiting went away completely aside from the occasional hairball, and she hasn't had diarrhea at all since. She's still a little underweight but she bounced back and is in very good health now.

It may not work for everyone's Cat, but it can't hurt to try switching to a food that doesn't have a lot of plant based ingredients, gums, or other filler.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in my 50s, and have owned/loved cats all of my life. However, I don't think I've ever seen a cat come back to health after its stopped eating, .....ever.

My best little bud, 9 year old male Main Coon mix, has stopped eating approx two days now [the local vet was closed today]. He started vomiting up food, and yesterday it was just foam.

I bought a can of every small variety of cat food in the store today [ie beef, chicken, seafood, shrimp, etc] , including tuna, and smoke salmon, and laid a small portion out for him, and he just don't want it.

He has been an indoor only cat, and has always been in great health, but I know that cats can appear to be fine until they aren't which is usually too late.

I know its just a matter of time now, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has had one come back to health instead of passing away? Also, I can't figure out why I keep hearing of people owning cats until they are 15-20 years old as all of our cats, all indoor for the past decades, all seem to die around 7 years old [present cat being the exception].
*Sorry, technical issues.*

M-train

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, JD seems to have made a full recovery! I know this sounds silly, but he seems to know how close he was to passing, and now he will sit in my lap [near bedtime], and just gaze into my eyes.

Again, he is one unique fellow. He always speaks back when spoken to, and always looks right into your eyes when you talk to him, no matter how long you speak.

Sadly his vet, George, our friend, passed away last week. We attended his memorial service this past Thursday. George was a really good person, and a great vet. Also, our late vet was VERY reasonable with his prices. George was the kind of animal doctor who would tell you up front that the cost to try to save your animal wouldn't be worth it in the end. Unlike some clinics who will milk you for thousands for pet that will most likely still end up dead.

Thanks again for all of the advice, and prayers for George's family, he will be sorely missed.