Has Anyone Had This Experience With Cat/feline Valley Fever?

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a domestic short hair tabby. Very over weight and eight years old. Highly food aggressive with the other cats. She was a rescue and was extremely sick as a kitten. Couldn’t walk for several months due to infection and was placed on steroids and ABT. Recovered but never active. About 8 days ago she started to cough so I took her in as a walk in to the vet. X-ray they said showed so much fluid on lungs can’t see heart. And she has no temp, lab good so he said possible CHF and placed on high dose of lasix and sent home. Three days later she is worse now wheezing. Took in again walk in. Another X-ray done ( they thought she would be clearer) can’t see anything. X-ray sent to radiologist who says acute inflammation of all bronchi lung area. Vet orders prednisone 20 mg liquid daily see in 2 weeks. Weekend HORRIBLE. Only relief she has in her head is down from cat tree in humidifier. Can’t walk but a few steps then has to stop. I am told prednisonecan take over a week in cats before working. PS she is especially bad at night really has problems breathing. Any suggestions to help her? Experience like this? I doing another walk in tomorrow but here we go trying to make it through another night.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi KJMissy! Welcome to TCS! Sorry that you're here because of a difficult health issue, but hopefully we can provide some help to your poor cat. It seems like she still has a lot of fluid in her lungs, which is making it hard for her to breathe. Can you call your vet, describe your cat's symptoms, and see if she needs a higher dose of the lasix? Something else you can try - can you prop up pillows so they're at an angle and see if she can sleep on them with less discomfort than lying flat? Or if you have an angled scratcher, that would work too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. Yes I have pillows but for some reason she wants to be on cat tree with head over side in the mist of the nebilozer. She panics otherwise and last night started the open mouth breathing until I got her back up on tree. I plan to walk her in the vet office in the morning as her wheezing only is getting worse. But the worse part is just trying to get her through these nights. I also have a air purifier going on in the room right now

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the cat and her problems! I don't have advice or experience with this, i just wanted to let you know im thinking about you guys. and hoping for a full recovery! Best of luck to you and your cat!

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the nebulizer makes her more comfortable, definitely keep it on! I'm not sure what else would help, but I'm hoping that the night goes easier for her until you can get her into the vet's office! Keep us updated.

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They put her in the 02 box for three hours and said they are watching her. After wards I will speak with the vet and we will see thank everyone for the reply’s

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pulled a tiger today to rule out valley fever

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Allykat continues to have serious wheezing issues at night. And yesterday I walked her in again to have her seen again. Her white blood cells and lymph are now elevated. All blood work done last week it was normal. They went ahead and placed her in the 02 box for three hours. Said they would keep her over night if I wanted. I declined because no one is there at night so I just rather have her here where I can watch her. Placed her on Azithromycin, Cerenia and continue prednisone. Bad night again last night. He is thinking possible fungal and now wants to run titer for possible valley fever. Anyone else have this happen? He didn’t pull the titer yet as he wanted to see if she would respond to the Azithromycin

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had this experience, I'm sorry I can't help you (I SO wish I could!!) but I was wondering if you could clarify for me what valley fever is?

Last edited by a moderator:

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s a fungus animals and humans in certain areas in the USA that are exposed to. I had it years ago. Most humans and animals don’t show signs. And she doesn’t have any lesions that look like VF but he thinks now there is a fungal involved and want to do a titer

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a domestic short hair tabby. Very over weight and eight years old. Highly food aggressive with the other cats. She was a rescue and was extremely sick as a kitten. Couldn’t walk for several months due to infection and was placed on steroids and ABT. Recovered but never active. About 8 days ago she started to cough so I took her in as a walk in to the vet. X-ray they said showed so much fluid on lungs can’t see heart. And she has no temp, lab good so he said possible CHF and placed on high dose of lasix and sent home. Three days later she is worse now wheezing. Took in again walk in. Another X-ray done ( they thought she would be clearer) can’t see anything. X-ray sent to radiologist who says acute inflammation of all bronchi lung area. Vet orders prednisone 20 mg liquid daily see in 2 weeks. Weekend HORRIBLE. Only relief she has in her head is down from cat tree in humidifier. Can’t walk but a few steps then has to stop. I am told prednisonecan take over a week in cats before working. PS she is especially bad at night really has problems breathing. Any suggestions to help her? Experience like this? I doing another walk in tomorrow but here we go trying to make it through another night.
Well

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over day 10 and we did another X-ray yesterday with no improvement. Still waiting for fungal titer results. It’s 2 AM and we are in the bathroom with the humidifier on. My husband dog is also sick. And no we don’t smoke, burn oils or candles, or even have a fireplace. But dog symptoms are diffrent but vets are talking with each other to see if any common issues. I just want to cry. But that wouldn’t help the issue. It’s like watching your kid having problems breath and they don’t know what’s wrong. She on antibiotics and prednisone. Off lasix. And now just waiting. Sorry for the rant

KJMissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No they did another X-ray Friday and said no improvement at all. Zero. Even after lasix and prednisone and antibiotics. Still waiting for the fungal results which they told me could take up to seven days from the day they drew it. They are also investigating possible environmental toxic exposure. To what not sure but I do know nights around here are horrible versus day time. Thanks for asking. I take her back Monday. I will say the vet really seems to want to find out what could be going on. But she really is not doing very good. I have not given up but 14 days now and her lungs still look pretty bad.