Has anyone ever gone raw cold turkey?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:thud: She's adorable!

She does look like she could stand to lose a little weight. ;)

What you may want to ask the vet about is the overnight part. I would leave a measured amount of kibble out for her to free feed for now, just until her body adjusts to the timed meals. This should stop the bile vomiting overnight. But feeding her small amounts every 2 hours for now is GREAT. :bigthumb: Just make sure you use some kind of "call" to identify it's meal time. And I suggest feeding her at the same times, and in the same spot. Routine is your friend here. :) Don't follow her around with a bowl. This is a mistake many people make, and it makes it harder for both of you down the road. :rub:

Wow - a holistic vet that makes house calls! That is awesome! :clap:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is cute.  She even has a little Chaplin mustache,  I think they are so cute.  I'm glad you found a vet to come over and help out.  Unfortunately that idea about dry food being best is still very prevalent.

I probably over reacted to your post this morning.  Having had a cat go through fatty liver disease I get real nervous about a cat not eating or keeping food down.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit kat nyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally understand. I freaked out unnecessarily though, I am sure. I am worried about the HL, so I probably made the situation worse. I can only imagine how I'll be with a baby if a little vomit scares me this much!

Anyway, the goal has always been to get her healthy. I immediately started feeding her wet food with the dry when I adopted her last year because I knew it was better. But, I never really took the time to research it thoroughly on how. She would eat a nibble or two, and I'd end up throwing most of it out. I'm glad I'm finally doing the real transition, and so encouraged by her enthusiasm for the raw chicken. It was thrilling to watch her gobble up the first couple of pieces and see her true nature come out. Now she more licks it, but I am so happy she likes it and I know the amounts she is eating will pick up over time. This will lead to weight loss for sure (I bought her a harness and leash which she doesn't seem to mind so once this transition is complete, that's our next hurdle), so I'm excited to have a happy, healthy kitty! We're on our way! :)

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS! I too live in NYC. :)

I had both Bagel and Lox go on raw via cold turkey. I added a probiotic and for the most part I did not have any issues. With Lox, I added a bit of canned food but otherwise I didn't really have a transitional period. Before switching Lox to completely raw she did get some raw treats here and there.

Just curious, will you PM me who the holistic vet you're seeing?

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you are getting all kinds of advice and it's probably overwhelming. Also, there are many others who have posted who have way more exp than me.

However, just to give you another perspective, I think maybe you are moving too fast.

I have one enthusiastic raw eater - he switched to raw without blinking. And one "I am suspicious of everything, why are you changing my routine, Im quite happy with my rut thank you very much."

They were dry free feeders to start.

My plan was to keep dry free feeding them, and then giving them 3 canned wet food meals a day, just to get them excited about a mealtime. I would put it down and let them eat what they wanted, and then clean it up. Once they got happy and excited about wet, and familiar with the idea of a mealtime where food goes down, and then goes away if it isn't eaten, I started only putting 1/2C of dry food in their bowls a day. When that dry was gone, that was it, I didn't put down anymore. I continued on with the 3 wet canned meals and every couple of weeks I would reduce the dry (1/2C then 1/3C then 1/4C).

In the meantime I started introducing raw into one of their mealtimes. One at first, then two, now three. Like I said, my little guy was so very happy with raw food he goes crazy when I open the jar. My big guy has had to take it slow. I started by feeding him 1 3/4oz of his canned, and 1/4oz of raw, then 1/2oz of raw etc. Currently he is on half canned and half raw (1oz/1oz). I am still putting a small handfull of dry down as the big guy goes bonkers if there isn't anything down. The funny thing is, it takes a couple of days for them to eat it, because they are so much more happy and satisfied with the wet and the raw. I will probably just take it away this week and put up with the dirty looks now that it isn't as important to him as before.

Like some have mentioned, it isn't a race. Just getting some wet food into her diet is a huge achievement, and is already improving her health.

Baby steps.

Last edited:

kit kat nyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pinkman, I love the name of your cats! So smart! (My baby's name is actually Kitler, named by my friend's former fiancé because of her mustache. She answers to it, but I call her Kit Kat or Muffin because I just really don't like that name) . I hate telling new people her real name, and it's mortifying going to the vet, especially when they announce it!

I'll send you the vet's info once I see her and I'll let you know what I think. I was shocked to find someone who makes house calls, but so excited because kit Kat hates getting into a carrier, and I didn't want her to have any more stress added right now.

Incidentally, have you been to Whiskers holistic pet store in the East Village? Phil, the old man in the back, is amazing. He's an animal genius, and so love able in an old curmudgeonly way! He can answer any question you have, no BS.

Cat Dad, you're probably right, but I'm going all trial and error here based off of soooo much information. Everyone has a different recommendation, so it's hard to know what to do. Ultimately, I'm just trying to be as safe as possible and try to find what works for her. They're all different, right? Some people go cold turkey, some spend months transitioning. I think we might be somewhere in the middle! The fact that she prefers the raw to canned (never really ate anything canned over .25 oz except tuna when I didn't know it wasn't good for her), so if she's willing to eat the chicken over the canned food and it doesn't make her sick, I'm all for it. Thanks so much for your concern,a dn the input from everyone! I appreciate it all!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think you're friend's former fiancee has much of a sense of humor, or a very twisted sense of humor.

kit kat nyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, it's a stupid name. I agree, would never have called her that on my own. Far more creative and less offensive!