Has anyone catproofed a roof deck or large balcony?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 200 sq. ft. roof deck (4th floor), and now that the weather is starting to get warmer here, I find myself wanting to work outside more. My kitty is accustomed to a harness and leash, which I got her specifically so I could take her on the deck. But when I'm working, I don't feel I can pay adequate attention to her to keep her from jumping on the deck railings when my head is turned, so she stays inside and meows at me plaintively from the window. Hence I'm interested in whether there's a way to cat proof the deck and have her out here with me safely.

Has anyone done this or seen it done? I am not a DIYer in the least; I am happy to pay someone but don't know where to start. I don't want a little catio/cage. It would only work if there's something I could put on the railings to keep her in. I see on Jackson Galaxy that a certain angle on netting keeps cat from jumping, but it would need to be quite secure since it would be a dangerous fall. I'm willing to invest some money to get it right.

Any ideas if this is workable? Or should I give up before I've started?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Did you see this video I shared awhile back? post funny picture and memes here | Page 270 | TheCatSite
I only use this as a example because you can actually see someone put some sort of wiring (which is hardly visible) on their balcony for the purpose of apparently both the child and the cat. Take a close look at you can see it. So, might be something you could share with a handyman/contractor to recreate?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you live in a place which has restrictions as to what you can build?
High Rise Syndrome: Keeping your Cat Safe from Falls
I looked through several sites and if you don't want to use a harness or build a catio (which I certainly see your reasoning for that) it seems to amount to screening, netting, or a very large dog crate for the cat.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 200 sq. ft. roof deck (4th floor), and now that the weather is starting to get warmer here, I find myself wanting to work outside more. My kitty is accustomed to a harness and leash, which I got her specifically so I could take her on the deck. But when I'm working, I don't feel I can pay adequate attention to her to keep her from jumping on the deck railings when my head is turned, so she stays inside and meows at me plaintively from the window. Hence I'm interested in whether there's a way to cat proof the deck and have her out here with me safely.

Has anyone done this or seen it done? I am not a DIYer in the least; I am happy to pay someone but don't know where to start. I don't want a little catio/cage. It would only work if there's something I could put on the railings to keep her in. I see on Jackson Galaxy that a certain angle on netting keeps cat from jumping, but it would need to be quite secure since it would be a dangerous fall. I'm willing to invest some money to get it right.

maybe you could build a zoo type exhibit cage on your roof top with a big dead tree whole or part kitty could climb around and lounge upon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI. Did you see this video I shared awhile back? post funny picture and memes here | Page 270 | TheCatSite
I only use this as a example because you can actually see someone put some sort of wiring (which is hardly visible) on their balcony for the purpose of apparently both the child and the cat. Take a close look at you can see it. So, might be something you could share with a handyman/contractor to recreate?
That's an interesting idea. My deck is uncovered, but I suppose I could run netting just with the addition of one pole/post (since there are walls on two sides of the deck). I own the place, so I can make alterations subject to condo board approval.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you live in a place which has restrictions as to what you can build?
High Rise Syndrome: Keeping your Cat Safe from Falls
I looked through several sites and if you don't want to use a harness or build a catio (which I certainly see your reasoning for that) it seems to amount to screening, netting, or a very large dog crate for the cat.
That article was helpful. "Reverse overhang" was probably the thing I saw on Jackson Galaxy and knowing that term gives me a good place to start researching.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
** I see you said you don't want a catio/cage option, but I do want to point out this option (with tunnel, you can create a safe way for cat to go in/out on their own? - not sure if that changes your thoughts on it?)

I bought this tent for my cats. You can buy a version without the running tunnel or with it -- we've been playing around with attaching the running tunnel to the window w/ cardboard so the cats can go inside and outside on their own (but I think it could work great out on a deck too?).

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
** I see you said you don't want a catio/cage option, but I do want to point out this option (with tunnel, you can create a safe way for cat to go in/out on their own? - not sure if that changes your thoughts on it?)

I bought this tent for my cats. You can buy a version without the running tunnel or with it -- we've been playing around with attaching the running tunnel to the window w/ cardboard so the cats can go inside and outside on their own (but I think it could work great out on a deck too?).
Hmmm. The door to my deck doesn't have a kitty door (and it would be expensive in my area to add one), so I don't think a tunnel will work. But I should look into a tent as a potential near term, easier solution. I don't want a cage/catio because, selfishly, that deck is the nicest thing I own and once we are back to entertaining, I want to be able to have people over without bumping into a catio. But since it looks like the tent can be taken down pretty easily, I suppose it would be better than nothing...assuming it doesn't distress her to be separated from me and not able to escape the tent, while I sit nearby on the chaise....

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. The door to my deck doesn't have a kitty door (and it would be expensive in my area to add one), so I don't think a tunnel will work. But I should look into a tent as a potential near term, easier solution. I don't want a cage/catio because, selfishly, that deck is the nicest thing I own and once we are back to entertaining, I want to be able to have people over without bumping into a catio. But since it looks like the tent can be taken down pretty easily, I suppose it would be better than nothing...assuming it doesn't distress her to be separated from me and not able to escape the tent, while I sit nearby on the chaise....
Can confirm it is very easy to set up / take down. the poles basically stay in place unlike traditional tents and you pretty much just pull on a lever for both set up & take down.

Sounds like the rest would be up to your cat! :winkcat:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I built my cats something like this last year. I have a magnetic screen door that I also hung up so they can go in and out whenever they want (when the sliding door is open that is).

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I built my cats something like this last year. I have a magnetic screen door that I also hung up so they can go in and out whenever they want (when the sliding door is open that is).
Impressive, though they're is zero chance I could do that on my own. I'm curious, do your cats ever try to climb the netting? My kitty climbs my window screens quite readily so I'm wondering if she would/could do the same with vertical netting.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Impressive, though they're is zero chance I could do that on my own. I'm curious, do your cats ever try to climb the netting? My kitty climbs my window screens quite readily so I'm wondering if she would/could do the same with vertical netting.
My youngest one does, so I never leave her unattended out there. I'm planning on putting a cover on top this year, I just haven't decided what I want to use.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I screened my porch myself, but I had a railing and roof to anchor to. That said, I ended up having to put a second support in - something that I could staple to because one of my guys would pull the spline out of the channel and walk around on the outside of the rail. I would think that constructing wood supports and then the metal channel that you attach the screen with spline to, would be completely doable. I have no experience with the slanted top screen to keep cats from climbing out but in your situation - with a porch - I'd feel safer with a roof and having the screen go to the top of it. You're welcome to message me.

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain! I'm going to be moving soon and I plan to get a place with a roof deck. My cat is an indoor cat with a sense of (dangerous) adventure, so whenever she is outside I have her on a leash. she tries to jump up on railings, support posts etc and it terrifies me. I am looking at this as a possible solution. It is a sort of catio that could "melt" into the background - at least that is what I am convincing myself of!
Cat Balcony Enclosure | The Ultimate Urban Cat Run

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having your cats on a leash is an idea. I have that with mine because netting is not an option. Still, I never leave them completely unattended. One loves to venture around and ones jumped onto the railing which is dangerous of course. So, a leash is an option, but stick around near them, you don't want them to hang themselves or lose the leash while dangling somewhere. A leash that is too short for them to jump on those things but long enough for them to explore, is an idea.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can confirm it is very easy to set up / take down. the poles basically stay in place unlike traditional tents and you pretty much just pull on a lever for both set up & take down.

Sounds like the rest would be up to your cat! :winkcat:
I took the tent out for a test drive today on the deck. Juno turned into a crazy cat, pouncing at nothing and generally acting like a coked up maniac. I threw a ping pong ball in there and that focused her manic energy a bit, but she still seemed peeved to be stuck inside something.

She was born feral and I wonder if she instinctively feels vulnerable trapped inside something while outdoors (even though I know a predator couldn't get at get her while in there, maybe she can't discern that).

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took the tent out for a test drive today on the deck. Juno turned into a crazy cat, pouncing at nothing and generally acting like a coked up maniac. I threw a ping pong ball in there and that focused her manic energy a bit, but she still seemed peeved to be stuck inside something.

She was born feral and I wonder if she instinctively feels vulnerable trapped inside something while outdoors (even though I know a predator couldn't get at get her while in there, maybe she can't discern that).
you know, one thing I did before putting the cats in the tent outside was I set it up inside the house for the cats to play in at leisure... they're young and probably would have adjusted regardless, but if it seems like she's not having it outdoors, could be worth a shot to leave the tent in the house and open for her to explore if you had the space?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just updating to say that the tent was a fanatic suggestion! Although she was confused by it at first, we're now sitting out on my deck enjoying the lovely weather. It buys me some time to consider more permanent solutions. I'm thinking I may wait a year and once I've saved up enough money, do a complete remodel of the deck when I can pay someone to do it right. Even before I got my kitty, I was planning to save up and then really make the deck someplace special with plants, etc. (They'll be cat-safe plants, now!) And with the tent, we can still enjoy the deck together in the interim.