Hare Today - Question about reducing bone percentage

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking to place my first order with Hare Today and i have some questions about cutting down the bone percentage. I've read the other posts about Hare Today and i understand several of the mean/bone/organ grids have a high bone content (chicken, turkey) and that i can mix in boneless and organs to reduce that. I'd like to reduce those amounts to 10% esp. because my cats are still transitioning to raw and they've been eating Rad Cat (im not sure what the bone percentage is in that). I've been using this calculator someone linked in another post to figure out how much boneless meat and organs to mix in with the bone-in grinds (http://jsfiddle.net/fjkemr77/2/embedded/result/). Is that calculator accurate? My plan is to order several 1 or 2lbs packages of bone-in grinds (chicken, turkey, rabbit, duck) and then some boneless grinds and organs to mix in to reduce the bone content. I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right amount of each. Since its my first order I don't want to order a lot of meats when I'm unsure my cats will like all of them. I'm also ordering their alnutrin supplement.

Thanks! 

geely

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was looking at the HT website the other day and saw that the bone content was added to the site on a lot of the meat grinds. If you click on the name of the meat it will show you. I did my own calculations for cutting it down the bone content and when someone posted the calculator i checked it and it came out pretty much the same. So I would say yes that should work if you use the bone contact Tracy puts on the site along with the calculator.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I did notice that the bone content amount was added on the grinds info page which was really helpful information. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By my calculations that calculator comes out a bit high with regards to how much boneless meat you need to add. It's pretty close though. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know. Thank you for your help! 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just looking at that calculator again. I'm not quite sure what it is doing. The organ amount doesn't look right.  I'm going to see if I can track down where it came from.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a better way to figure it out? I'm not really sure of the math in terms of reducing the bone content. I don't want to haphazardly throw in boneless meat/organs either. 

Right now I'm looking at reducing the following: 1lbs ground chicken with bone and organs (27% bone) to 10%. 1lbs duck with bone and organs (24% bone) reduce to 10%. 1lbs ground rabbit with bone and organs (15% bone) reduce to 10%. I also read that i should mix rabbit with something like turkey thighs because the rabbit is very lean.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of
 I'm using a lot less meat though. My thought process was that i would need to add a lot of boneless to the bone-in and thus i would end up with more like 3lbs of product.  

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, if what you want is for the finish food to be 10% bone and 90% Hare-Today chicken which is 27% bone and you have 1 lb of the chicken:

1 lb * 27% =  amt of bone   <=== replace 0.27 with the percent bone of whatever mix you using

1 * 0.27 = 0.27 lb bone

The rest is meat: 1 - 0.27 = 0.73.

You want that .27 to be 10% of the final food so:

.10x = .27

x = 2.7 lb 

Your final product will be 2.7 lb with 0.27 lb being bone.  You want the remaining 90% to be meat:

2.7 * 0.9 = 2.43 lb

You already have 0.73 lb of meat from the Hare-Today product so you need to add:

2.43 - 0.73 =  1.7 lbs of some boneless meat

So you'l have:

0.27 lb bone 

0.73 lb meat/bone/organs

1.70 lb boneless meat

---------

2.7 lbs total

Of course there is the added complication that the organs are diluted so to speak by the addition of the boneless meat. I'd just toss in an amount or organs equal to the bone (0.27 lb) and call it good. 

geely

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if its right but the way I have figured it  was by the ounce

I have made a lot of the 8lb batches of rabbit as my cat could only eat this for a while.

I figured it like this

the 5LB meat/bone/organ tub X 16oz =80 ozs

80oz  times the 15% bone = 12oz of bone in the 5LB tub.

so to get the 12oz of bone to be 10% you need 120 ounces.

so 120oz -80ozs you already have =40oz of boneless needed  divided by 16=2.5Lbs needed.

with 10%  of that needing to be organs  that would be  the additional 2 1/4 Lb meat  and  1/4 Lb organ

With the added water it comes close to the 8LBs.

Anyway that's the way I have done it.. But I did not always have it perfect and I watch their bowl movements and gauge by that too.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for your help!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats also helpful. Thanks! 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats really helpful, thanks! I didn't think about using the boneless poultry grinds and adding Better In The Raw to avoid the hassle of reducing the bone content myself. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, using boneless grinds and a supplement that includes calcium is the easiest way to go! ;)

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip about the HT website!   I'm very glad Tracy finally posted these numbers. I headed over there to look up percentages and... wow...that's a lot of bone in the poultry grinds.

Here are some of the ones I looked up:

Chicken & Turkey: 27% bone, 5% liver (no other organs)

Duck:  24% bone, 5% liver (no other organs)

Rabbit fur and all:  15% bone, 10% organ (liver, pancreas, kidney)

Pork:  15% bone, 3% organ (liver/kidney) <-------------- (note: extra organ needed!!)

Goat:  10% bone, 7% liver/spleen/kidney

Mutton:  17% bone,  10% organ (liver, pancreas, kidney)

Both the website and the bone content says that the chicken and turkey are indeed whole animal grinds.  I like that a lot, but the bone content is pretty extreme.  HarryLime, no wonder your cat is pooping infrequently.  I guess I'll be adding a lot more boneless meats to my cats' bowls!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think after gathering all this info I'm going to stick with feeding Rad Cat chicken and turkey and then order rabbit, duck, and a few other boneless varieties from HT and mix with Better in the Raw to try it out. If i do venture into feeding the bone/meat/organ grinds I'm def going to be referencing the above info the cut down the bone percentage correctly. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the tip about the HT website!   I'm very glad Tracy finally posted these numbers. I headed over there to look up percentages and... wow...that's a lot of bone in the poultry grinds.

Here are some of the ones I looked up:

Chicken & Turkey: 27% bone, 5% liver (no other organs)

Duck:  24% bone, 5% liver (no other organs)

Rabbit fur and all:  15% bone, 10% organ (liver, pancreas, kidney)

Pork:  15% bone, 3% organ (liver/kidney) <-------------- (note: extra organ needed!!)

Goat:  10% bone, 7% liver/spleen/kidney

Mutton:  17% bone,  10% organ (liver, pancreas, kidney)

Both the website and the bone content says that the chicken and turkey are indeed whole animal grinds.  I like that a lot, but the bone content is pretty extreme.  HarryLime, no wonder your cat is pooping infrequently.  I guess I'll be adding a lot more boneless meats to my cats' bowls!
If the chicken and turkey are whole animal then why does it say '5% liver (no other organs))??????

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like from the HT description the boneless duck and rabbit also contain organs? Does anyone know for sure? I'm assuming with those grinds i should use Alnutrin NOT BITR.