Hard time giving my cat meds after dental surgery

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers!

I got Trudy (8 y.o.) into the vet yesterday for her dental cleaning. The month prior, she got all the tests done to make sure she could undergo dental cleaning. Well, the doctor called later and said that she needed 3 teeth taken out. They gave me 3 medications (pain and antibiotic) and all but 1 of them is in tablet form. The other 2 are in liquid form and I have to give it to her orally with a syringe. This is the hard part. First of all, Trudy is a very well behaved kitty at the vet or at the groomers...but with me at home, she will fight or run away if I try to do anything with her. After we got home, I was able to give all 3 with just mild struggle probably because of the anesthesia. But this morning, I tried to give her the 2 meds that need to be taken every 12 hours, and I was able to give her 1 of them but the 2nd one is actually probably most important which is the antibiotic that prevents infection. I feel so bad I really hate chasing her and holding her down. I know it's good for her but I also don't want to hurt her by trying too hard. I also don't want her to be too scared that she won't come out for a long period of time. She is still hiding and it's been 5 hours, no eating, no drinking. I called the vet already and they said they will have a technician call me back for suggestions. I'm wondering if anybody has experienced having to give medications this way and how to handle? Thank you!!!

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you having troubles with giving her the pills? If she takes the syringe fine maybe crush up her pills into a powder, then mix it with water (1ml) and then give it to her through the syringe.

I know you feel bad for chasing her down and administering her medications but she needs to have it. She will thank you in the long run. Let me know what the technician says, and maybe ask if mixing it with water and giving it in a syringe is okay.

I have to give my cat pills and she won't eat it if I hide it in wet food never mind a treat. I doubt your cats up for eating anything though. She takes the pills fine however the vet now gives her gabapentin which are bigger pills and so I mix with water then give it to her in a syringe. She doesnt like it but it needs to be done lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you having troubles with giving her the pills? If she takes the syringe fine maybe crush up her pills into a powder, then mix it with water (1ml) and then give it to her through the syringe.

I know you feel bad for chasing her down and administering her medications but she needs to have it. She will thank you in the long run. Let me know what the technician says, and maybe ask if mixing it with water and giving it in a syringe is okay.

I have to give my cat pills and she won't eat it if I hide it in wet food never mind a treat. I doubt your cats up for eating anything though. She takes the pills fine however the vet now gives her gabapentin which are bigger pills and so I mix with water then give it to her in a syringe. She doesnt like it but it needs to be done lol
Hi, thanks for your reply. I apologize I wasn't clear in the post that I am having a hard time giving her the liquid meds in the syringe. I was able to give her the little pill with little sardine yesterday lol and that is only once every 24 hours. My husband just woke up so I will maybe try again with his help. Ugh but yes I hate the feeling of having to do this even though it's good for her :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Mix the liquid med with just a small amount of the water from canned tuna or chicken, to ensure she takes it all, and then give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward. That is what I did with Feeby's liquid meds, and she had no problems with it. If that doesn't work, you could also mix it with a bit of baby food meat (plain, no garlic/onions).

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Mix the liquid med with just a small amount of the water from canned tuna or chicken, to ensure she takes it all, and then give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward. That is what I did with Feeby's liquid meds, and she had no problems with it. If that doesn't work, you could also mix it with a bit of baby food meat (plain, no garlic/onions).
Hmm mixing with wet food might work. I already fed her this morning but she does need to take it with food so I will try putting it in a treat or something...you got me thinking so thank you!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If liquid buprenex was given as a pain reliever, it's not meant to be swallowed. You just squirt it between the cheek and gums where it will bevl absorbed. Swallowing buprenex will not have any effect on pain. If the vet gave you pre- measured syringes of buprenex, I wouldn't try to add anything to the syringe to make the medicine taste better or squirt the medicine into food.

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
If liquid buprenex was given as a pain reliever, it's not meant to be swallowed. You just squirt it between the cheek and gums where it will bevl absorbed. Swallowing buprenex will not have any effect on pain. If the vet gave you pre- measured syringes of buprenex, I wouldn't try to add anything to the syringe to make the medicine taste better or squirt the medicine into food.
Yes, I was able to give her that this morning its the antibiotic (starts with C) that I'm having trouble with but I was able to give it to her by just grabbing her out of her hiding spot :/. She is hiding back in there now. I'm supposed to give it with food but she didn't want any so I had to just give it to her without anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most antibiotics can cause stomach upset - hence the reason they want you to give it to her with food. Next go 'round, try the canned tuna/chicken water, followed with a piece or two for a treat, or the baby food meats. Or, coincide the doses with her meals, but start with a bit of food with the med, and then after that is gone, give her the rest of her normal meal.

Treecie

New cat mom to Trudy
Young Cat
Purraise
Most antibiotics can cause stomach upset - hence the reason they want you to give it to her with food. Next go 'round, try the canned tuna/chicken water, followed with a piece or two for a treat, or the baby food meats.
Yeah, in the instructions it did say they strongly recommend giving with food. But idk maybe she was already feeling nauseous from the pain med even though that one I did give right after a meal...but she was just not wanting treat, or wet food, or dry food (soaked) so I will try giving it to her again tomorrow with food.