Hard food for cat allergic to everything

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow cat people!

I am trying to find a hard cat food I can use when we go on vacation/overnight trips. Normally we feed all soft food but when I can’t have a cat sitter in multiple times a day, we leave hard food out. We just found out our Luna is allergic to even more foods than we thought, so we don’t know of any hard food she can eat. We tried Ziwi Peak, Smalls and Stella and Chewy. They make hard or dehydrated food she can eat, but Luna doesn’t like any of them. Does anyone have any advice? At this point I will cook the hard food myself! Her allergies include:

chicken
rabbit
beef
salmon
peas
rice
sweet potato
white potato
lentils
corn
millet

That‘s an awful list, right? I was thinking of scheduling an appointment with a vet nutritionist to see if they can help, but figured I’d turn to this lovely community first!

Here’s a picture of Luna and she thanks you in advance of any help you can provide. C9A0DE7A-D9F9-4774-B15B-FF8F982B3889.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy a programmable timed feeder and show the cat sitter how to use it. The cat sitter would fill the compartments with your cat's canned food and let it run. Canned food is a cooked product so it's fine to leave out all day. You can even freeze canned food into portion sizes first and let it thaw in the feeder. I have used this feeder in the past: 5 Meal Pet Feeder Catmate is another brand of programmable feeders. A once or twice a day check by the cat sitter should be enough to refill the feeder, scoop the litter box, play with the cat, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Buy a programmable timed feeder and show the cat sitter how to use it. The cat sitter would fill the compartments with your cat's canned food and let it run. Canned food is a cooked product so it's fine to leave out all day. You can even freeze canned food into portion sizes first and let it thaw in the feeder. I have used this feeder in the past: 5 Meal Pet Feeder Catmate is another brand of programmable feeders. A once or twice a day check by the cat sitter should be enough to refill the feeder, scoop the litter box, play with the cat, etc.
That’s a very interesting idea. I have 4 cats so I’d have to get her trained to wait for it to open and to eat before her 3 brothers ate it all. I’m going to look into that. I think there is also a feeder that opens based on microchip? I’ll look into that too. Thank you for that suggestion!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, a microchip feeder will work if you have multiple cats. You just set the feeder to open for the one cat who needs the specific food. The cat doesn't need to have an implanted microchip. The feeder comes with a little microchip tag that you put on the collar. Microchip feeders are mainly for dry food but you can put canned food in it. You just can't portion the food into serving sizes and have the cat eat only from one compartment at a time. Some company really needs to make a microchip programmable feeder with multiple compartments :ruminating:

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at instinct dry limited ingredient or Fromm? There’s also freeze dried raw as an option that I think you can find varieties that don’t have your cats allergens, it’s better if rehydrated but I’m sure they’d be fine If you fed it dry just for when you’re away.

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you looked at instinct dry limited ingredient or Fromm? There’s also freeze dried raw as an option that I think you can find varieties that don’t have your cats allergens, it’s better if rehydrated but I’m sure they’d be fine If you fed it dry just for when you’re away.
They have either chicken or peas in all their food, so no go.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a microchip feeder will work if you have multiple cats. You just set the feeder to open for the one cat who needs the specific food. The cat doesn't need to have an implanted microchip. The feeder comes with a little microchip tag that you put on the collar. Microchip feeders are mainly for dry food but you can put canned food in it. You just can't portion the food into serving sizes and have the cat eat only from one compartment at a time. Some company really needs to make a microchip programmable feeder with multiple compartments :ruminating:
I actually tried to hack something together last year. But I came to the conclusion (as I'm sure the SurePet manufacturers did too) that the combination of the sliding door mechanism and a timer would be very confusing to the cat. You can buy a motion sensor feeder or a microchip feeder from them that basically work the same way. The cat is hungry and approaches the feeder. The feeder opens when it detects the presence of the cat (or the microchip.) But what if it was on a timer? How would the cat know when it's open for business or still not time? How frustrating would it be for her to keep returning and it's not opening? "What's the logic here? How does this open?"

Probably the best option for combining the exclusivity of a microchip feeder with the convenience of a timed feeder is to build a feeding box with a microchip door to it. Only the one wearing the chip would be able to enter the box. Then you can put the timed feeder in the box. She might still have to return several times to see if the feeder is open. But at least she will understand an open feeder means she can eat.

Here's the feeder I used often with Krista. Sadly, it's currently unavailable. I hope they are not discontinuing it. I liked it because it was cheap enough to buy multiples and set them all to individual meal times. The drawback of a wheel feeder is that uneaten portions rotate back inside the feeder when it's time for the next compartment to open. It's also a waste if you only want to put out one meal. I'd rather give the cat all the time she wants to finish each meal. Especially if she has exclusive access to her feeding box.

WoPet feeder I recommend but unavailable
Pet Supplies : WOPET Automatic Cat Feeder, Pet Feeder for Dogs and Cats with Ice Pack Included - 2 Meals : Amazon.com

Knock off that looks like an acceptable substitute
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HF18AOE/?tag=thecatsite

Microchip door:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EGIM3O/?tag=thecatsite

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually tried to hack something together last year. But I came to the conclusion (as I'm sure the SurePet manufacturers did too) that the combination of the sliding door mechanism and a timer would be very confusing to the cat. You can buy a motion sensor feeder or a microchip feeder from them that basically work the same way. The cat is hungry and approaches the feeder. The feeder opens when it detects the presence of the cat (or the microchip.) But what if it was on a timer? How would the cat know when it's open for business or still not time? How frustrating would it be for her to keep returning and it's not opening? "What's the logic here? How does this open?"

Probably the best option for combining the exclusivity of a microchip feeder with the convenience of a timed feeder is to build a feeding box with a microchip door to it. Only the one wearing the chip would be able to enter the box. Then you can put the timed feeder in the box. She might still have to return several times to see if the feeder is open. But at least she will understand an open feeder means she can eat.

Here's the feeder I used often with Krista. Sadly, it's currently unavailable. I hope they are not discontinuing it. I liked it because it was cheap enough to buy multiples and set them all to individual meal times. The drawback of a wheel feeder is that uneaten portions rotate back inside the feeder when it's time for the next compartment to open. It's also a waste if you only want to put out one meal. I'd rather give the cat all the time she wants to finish each meal. Especially if she has exclusive access to her feeding box.

WoPet feeder I recommend but unavailable
Pet Supplies : WOPET Automatic Cat Feeder, Pet Feeder for Dogs and Cats with Ice Pack Included - 2 Meals : Amazon.com

Knock off that looks like an acceptable substitute
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HF18AOE/?tag=thecatsite

Microchip door:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EGIM3O/?tag=thecatsite
Love your cat’s name. :)
I think I’m going to order an auto feeder and do some experimenting. I don’t think it’s a long term solution but may help for overnight getaways.

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she like lamb?
Meat Mates Lamb Dinner Grain-Free Freeze-Dried Cat Food, 14-oz bag - Chewy.com

I wouldn't feed it without rehydration for long but for few days should be ok
I’m going to give this a try, although I’ve had no success with freeze dried food. I love that someone already asked the question on what kind of fish oil is used, since I can’t feed Luna anything with salmon oil. Thanks for finding this. I emailed Chewy and they sent me a few Stella and Chewy and Ziwi Peak foods, but not this one. Which means I have to do some more searching.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about this brand of air dried food? No rehydrating is needed.

A 5 oz trial size of the above is available.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love your cat’s name. :)
I think I’m going to order an auto feeder and do some experimenting. I don’t think it’s a long term solution but may help for overnight getaways.
Krista was the name she had at the shelter. I adopted her at two years old. I liked her name and decided to keep it. I wish I knew anything about her life before rescue. I would have loved to have seen kitten pictures of her. She passed this summer and I miss her so much!

Here she is with her daytime buffet line. For some unknown cat logic reason, she was eating better when I spread her meals across multiple plates. I often deployed the feeders in pairs in case one didn't open. This didn't happen often. Maybe two or three times in the year or so that we used them. But the first time it did happen, there wasn't a backup and she ended up having an acid barf from going too long without food. If I wanted to feed her two ounces in four hours, I would put an ounce and a half to open at 3 hours and another ounce and a half to open at 5 hours. I'd rather she get a little extra than none at all. But this way, if one doesn't open, she still gets a fair amount from the other.

IMG_2536.JPG

And here she is asking for more. 🤦‍♂️ 😹 😻
IMG_2616.JPG

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not come across this in my searches! Already ordered the flavors that were in stock. THANK YOU!

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she like lamb?
Meat Mates Lamb Dinner Grain-Free Freeze-Dried Cat Food, 14-oz bag - Chewy.com

I wouldn't feed it without rehydration for long but for few days should be ok
Krista was the name she had at the shelter. I adopted her at two years old. I liked her name and decided to keep it. I wish I knew anything about her life before rescue. I would have loved to have seen kitten pictures of her. She passed this summer and I miss her so much!

Here she is with her daytime buffet line. For some unknown cat logic reason, she was eating better when I spread her meals across multiple plates. I often deployed the feeders in pairs in case one didn't open. This didn't happen often. Maybe two or three times in the year or so that we used them. But the first time it did happen, there wasn't a backup and she ended up having an acid barf from going too long without food. If I wanted to feed her two ounces in four hours, I would put an ounce and a half to open at 3 hours and another ounce and a half to open at 5 hours. I'd rather she get a little extra than none at all. But this way, if one doesn't open, she still gets a fair amount from the other.

View attachment 355709

And here she is asking for more. 🤦‍♂️ 😹 😻
View attachment 355710
I’m so sorry. She was beautiful. I love calicos. Many years ago my parents found a stray cat that they took to a no kill shelter and they named her Krista, which happens to be their daughter’s name. :)

That’s quite a buffet! Luna’s favorite thing in the world to do is eat, so I was really surprised when she turned her nose up at all the foods I’ve tried so far. It’s funny when I gave her the Smalls food, I might as well have given her a bowl of nickels. She didn’t give it more than a moment‘s glance before she ran after me for “real“ food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry. She was beautiful. I love calicos. Many years ago my parents found a stray cat that they took to a no kill shelter and they named her Krista, which happens to be their daughter’s name. :)

That’s quite a buffet! Luna’s favorite thing in the world to do is eat, so I was really surprised when she turned her nose up at all the foods I’ve tried so far. It’s funny when I gave her the Smalls food, I might as well have given her a bowl of nickels. She didn’t give it more than a moment‘s glance before she ran after me for “real“ food.
Any chance this stray was rescued in San Jose and turned in 14 years ago? I’m sure if it was the same cat, you would have recognized her. I’ve seen a lot of torties. But none that looked like mine.
8401BE6B-DF51-4089-9813-BF704B6363F0.jpeg
Krista had poorly managed GI lymphoma her last year or so. I needed the feeders to keep up with her appetite and feeding schedule. And so I could get some sleep and be able to go to work during the day. The cancer was eating all her calories. 😿 I was feeding her every three hours. Round the clock. She wanted every two. It was so sad. She was eating ten ounces a day and still losing weight. That was partly my fault. I was wrapping her nightly medicine in an inflammation trigger (fish flakes) because pilling and pill pockets were out. We tried transdermal too late. She did achieve remission in her last month. But she got a bladder infection and she was far too tiny and weak by then to fight it. 😿😭
D357D5EA-66E7-46E2-8B72-89DD93659D4B.jpeg
Who wouldn’t feed this face?
9C3BEBC1-8C72-43A7-87FF-2B9ED82D26DD.jpeg

I can tell you Rawz pates are the best for food sensitive cats. You just have to find the protein or proteins that work best for her. Krista loved turkey when I couldn’t feed her chicken anymore. And then we switched to rabbit when she couldn’t have turkey anymore.

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance this stray was rescued in San Jose and turned in 14 years ago? I’m sure if it was the same cat, you would have recognized her. I’ve seen a lot of torties. But none that looked like mine.
View attachment 355757
Krista had poorly managed GI lymphoma her last year or so. I needed the feeders to keep up with her appetite and feeding schedule. And so I could get some sleep and be able to go to work during the day. The cancer was eating all her calories. 😿 I was feeding her every three hours. Round the clock. She wanted every two. It was so sad. She was eating ten ounces a day and still losing weight. That was partly my fault. I was wrapping her nightly medicine in an inflammation trigger (fish flakes) because pilling and pill pockets were out. We tried transdermal too late. She did achieve remission in her last month. But she got a bladder infection and she was far too tiny and weak by then to fight it. 😿😭
View attachment 355758
View attachment 355756

I can tell you Rawz pates are the best for food sensitive cats. You just have to find the protein or proteins that work best for her. Krista loved turkey when I couldn’t feed her chicken anymore. And then we switched to rabbit when she couldn’t have turkey anymore.
:grouphug::grouphug2::rbheart::hangin::alright:

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 355757
View attachment 355758
View attachment 355756

Opposite ends of the country, our Krista was East Coast. I’m so sorry, I’ve lost 6 cats and it never gets easier. I’ll look into Rawz, I’ve never heard of them before. Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve lost a cat or two myself. But Krista was a tough loss. If she had passed at 14, she was already the best cat ever and that would have been devastating enough. But her last two years were not easy on either one of us. In that time, our bond got even stronger as she showed me time and again just how tough (and loving) she was. And I showed her the meaning of sacrifice and dedication.
68F63A16-3F44-4DBF-9544-FE44994BA8BA.jpeg

Rawz is expensive and exclusive. It’s kind of a pain in the butt. But it’s more appealing than prescription food (ask the cats), vet visits, and input/output issues from your cat.

If you’re lucky, there’s an indie pet food store or two near you that carries it. Otherwise, I’ve ordered cases online for Krista from just about all of those online retailers. At least the ones who carry the pates. On the East Coast, I liked buying from Hearty Pet (in MD) the best and Cherrybrook (NJ) a close second

Where to Buy | RAWZ

Schmoopita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve lost a cat or two myself. But Krista was a tough loss. If she had passed at 14, she was already the best cat ever and that would have been devastating enough. But her last two years were not easy on either one of us. In that time, our bond got even stronger as she showed me time and again just how tough (and loving) she was. And I showed her the meaning of sacrifice and dedication.
View attachment 355965

Rawz is expensive and exclusive. It’s kind of a pain in the butt. But it’s more appealing than prescription food (ask the cats), vet visits, and input/output issues from your cat.

If you’re lucky, there’s an indie pet food store or two near you that carries it. Otherwise, I’ve ordered cases online for Krista from just about all of those online retailers. At least the ones who carry the pates. On the East Coast, I liked buying from Hearty Pet (in MD) the best and Cherrybrook (NJ) a close second

Where to Buy | RAWZ
Sounds like you had an incredible bond.

Rawz only has 1 pate without her allergens. All the rest of the food won’t work. Boo. We have a few Concord Pets Stores by us that sell a lot of good food, so we’re there all the time. I think I spend more on cat food than I do on people food.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For wet have you tried Koha Limited ingredient for wet? I looked at the lamb shreds (their shreds are more of a fine grind in gravy, but not quite smooth as a pate) and it seemed like it didn't have any of their allergens. They also have duck and turkey, if she can tolerate them... and kangaroo. I came across those when we were allergy testing Delilah (she won't touch pate). Lotus has a line called "Just Juicy" that comes in pork, venison, and pollock.

I was having trouble finding kibble during the allergy process as well (turned out to be another medical issue altogether so her royal crankiness eats whatever she will or won't touch at the moment).