Hand feeding

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Putting this here cause I'm not sure if its a health thing or a behaviour thing

Over the last few days, Tigger's not wanted to eat until I hand feed her a few mouthfuls, then once she's had a couple of mouthfuls she will start to willingly eat from the dish (I have flat dishes that both girls eat off, as I think it hurts their whiskers to eat out of a bowl)

My question is, is she doing it for a behaviour reason, or does she need to go back into the vet?

Reason I'm wondering if its a behaviour thing is my Willow does a similar thing, only with Willow she refuses completely to eat if she decides the wrong person is trying to give her the food on the dish

Willow hates it if I have to ask my brother to feed her, last time a few years ago, she stubbornly refused to touch the food and turned her back and told my brother it was offensive him putting food down for her (she really doesn't like men - she seems to think that men are solely responsible for human babies appearing, according to Willow her accepting food from a man is how human babies are made)

Tigger, normally, will accept food from anyone - seriously Hitler himself could walk in and Tigger would be like "ooh are you here to give me food" (normally), this last few days she's cried for the food but then if it's all in the dish she won't eat it until I hand feed her a little bit ?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there are any other changes in behavior, by all means, have Tigger seen by the vet. If not...this may reverse itself, or it may not. As for why, if health issues are not present, I'm kinda reduced to quoting my father, "Because cat." It may simply be that she is enjoying the extra one-on-one attention.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first thought was she's sad or upset about something, and she observes that you will pamper with hand feeding, so she wants the lovin'.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends. There's no way for us to know if it's a dental issue or a behavioral issue so always best to rule out with a vet visit first.

Magnus does this when he misses me. When he was young and we were sorting his health issues I had to hand feed him to get him to eat at all. So now he does this if he wants extra attention.

If Ghost or Cal were to do this I would go to the vet because it's new behaviour which would indicate something is wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been at home all day today and she hasn't wanted to leave my side at all (this is normal for her)

Sorry if this is too much information but she feels she needs to be on my lap when I'm sat on the toilet, she then likes to insist on burying the contents of the toilet cause she thinks that digging on the toilet seat means the toilet won't make the scary flush noise :catrub:

She happily had food from the dish, then seemed to remember "oh I was wanting to be handfed over the last couple of days" and asked to get fed a little bit by hand :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tiggerwillow tiggerwillow I've had a cat jump in my lap while I was in the same "situation". :lol:
Tigger always comes on a lap when anyone's on the toilet, she believes the toilet is there just for people to cuddle her on, she will paw and cry to ask to come onto the lap, and either sits on the lap or insists she needs to be cradled like a baby :lol: :catrub:

She saying bbbbbut that's what the lap on the toilet is for :lol:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Coco can only eat on a flat plate not high. Otherwise, throw it on the ground. My cat Maggie jonly likes food in clumps,not loaf shape covering the bowl like my mom did once then she wouldn't eat it. She is a tall cat so if it's not elevated she won't eat it.