Halloween

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Costumes, candy, scary decorations….

What’s your favorite thing?
Do you hand out goodies? Dress up your pets? Go to parties?

Personally, I love the costuming.
While I’ve gotten lazy about decor over the years, I’m always amused to see what my neighbors do.
Not crazy about the candy aspect, though. If I’m home I try not to have any extra at the end of the night.

I have friends that celebrate Samhain, and they have a different spin on the whole thing. I’ve always enjoyed their gatherings whenever I’ve been invited.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy Halloween, but I don't really do anything for it. I have some decorations up though. Since my dogs are obnoxious, I turn off the doorbell and just put buckets of candy on the stoop. I usually add a sign that says "My dogs are jerks, have some candy." This year I'm also handing out some toys because I got three boxes of these (expired) Hershey Kisses things like a Kinder Egg in a local auction. There were probably 200 in there, so I just separated the toys from the candy and kept the candy. I've saved the toys since February, so I'm glad I actually remembered I have them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy the decorations more than anything else. I personally don't care for dressing up animals. We always pass out candy for trick-or-treat and like to see what costumes the children are wearing. I never know how much candy to buy but make sure to have enough so we don't run out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone still carve pumpkins?
I remember when there would be contests for best carving.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not being a kitten...err...child any longer, when it comes to festivities, what I like most is the food. In the case of Halloween, pumpkin pies get a special mention.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to enjoy Halloween way more then I do now. I loved dressing up and of course what kid doesn't like candy. I still like dressing up but it's hard with my job so I don't do it very often. I often work nights, so if it lands on a night shift I obviously don't hand out candy...we don't get many kids in my area though so it's not a big deal. I'm not much of a party person, so I don't do that either. Up until a few years ago I would decorate a little and carve a pumpkin, but again, I'll only do it now if I'll be home to hand out candy and want the house to look "open for business".

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like decorating a bit for Halloween. I have a collection of Witch Bottles that I've made over the years and would decorate my office at work with bottles, purple lights, and black leaves. And I always had my Double Trouble gargoyle on my office door. I put bottles on the hutch in the kitchen, too. This year, I didn't get them out, but I hope to next year.
WitchThree.jpg

I made a paper mache book called "The Witch's Elbow". When I needed "griffon" claws, my boss gave me two turkey feet. It worked!
Witch.jpg

We don't get kids coming around for candy; there just aren't kids around here. We always buy candy, though, because you never know. Rick gets Reese's peanut butter cups and throws them in the freezer.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I love the Witch Bottles, Winchester Winchester .

I've always like to decorate, even though we live on an obscure cul-de-sac with only two other neighbors. Nobody really sees it and we don't get trick or treaters but I still like to decorate most years.

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

I painted some pumpkins this year. My 4 year old granddaughter did the white one. She said all that red paint on the right is a monster. :biggrin:

IMG_2229.JPG

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Halloween but I don't do anything for it. Now, I love it for the pumpkin and eggnog.
We are so far out that we don't give candy, however, if a child makes it to my door without being eaten by all the predators, they deserve sanctuary and not candy.
As for dressing up pets....no....just no.

It's funny, we always tell our children not to take candy from strangers....then comes Halloween.