Hairballs!!

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I got my DLH in 2019 and she's had no hairballs since I've gotten her. However, this year she's already had three and just puked tonight probably trying to bring up another. Is this normal? I've been giving gel and hairball food (though ice been lazy about the gel and hair brushing lately). My vet, when emailed, suggested the food. I just want to make sure this is normal and not something to be able concerned about.

She's acts normally (eat, drink, play, litter box use). Maybe extra grooming because the kitten is bothering her? The days are getting longer in Wisconsin so she's probably shedding more too.

Thank you!♥ Here's a picture of her!

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about changing her diet (though switching from kibble to a quality wet food helps by preventing dehydration) , and just groom her regularly, especially since her shed is coming. Since she's not had issues in the past, and she's not had hairballs with overly concerning frequency as of yet (though that's not to say hairballs at all are normal -- they're not, fur is meant to pass with stools), it's just a matter of her licking too much fur off herself.

With longhair cats, it's generally advisable to do a thorough brush at least every other day, and at least once a day during shed, though yymv depending on the plushness and length of her coat. I end up brushing my MC every other day when she has her off-season thin coat, once a day when she has her full coat, and as many times a day as she'll let me during shed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's nothing special in hairball food that helps other than a bit of fiber and way too many junk quality ingredients. It's ok to not feed what the vet suggests / recommends. Most vets have little knowldege about nutrition and will make very general recommendations commercial food or insist on prescription. Just offer some hairball gel or a raw egg yolk (no raw egg white) or egg yolk lecithin and brush often. Here's some info on treating and preventing hairballs: https://www.foodfurlife.com/hairballs-are-not-normal.html#/ Adding canned food to the diet may help and is healthier for a cat than a dry food only diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about changing her diet (though switching from kibble to a quality wet food helps by preventing dehydration) , and just groom her regularly, especially since her shed is coming. Since she's not had issues in the past, and she's not had hairballs with overly concerning frequency as of yet (though that's not to say hairballs at all are normal -- they're not, fur is meant to pass with stools), it's just a matter of her licking too much fur off herself.

With longhair cats, it's generally advisable to do a thorough brush at least every other day, and at least once a day during shed, though yymv depending on the plushness and length of her coat. I end up brushing my MC every other day when she has her off-season thin coat, once a day when she has her full coat, and as many times a day as she'll let me during shed.
Thank you! She used to eat a tiny bit of wet but has since refused that and any other kind. She drinks plenty of water. I'm going to try and brush her out more (she's not a fan of it haha)

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's nothing special in hairball food that helps other than a bit of fiber and way too many junk quality ingredients. It's ok to not feed what the vet suggests / recommends. Most vets have little knowldege about nutrition and will make very general recommendations commercial food or insist on prescription. Just offer some hairball gel or a raw egg yolk (no raw egg white) or egg yolk lecithin and brush often. Here's some info on treating and preventing hairballs: https://www.foodfurlife.com/hairballs-are-not-normal.html#/ Adding canned food to the diet may help and is healthier for a cat than a dry food only diet.
I've tried for a year. She won't touch wet. She used to eat 1/4 can a day but it had to be a specific brand/flavor. Now she wont touch any at all

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try and brush her out more (she's not a fan of it haha)
My girl largely isn't either, honestly, but a few things help. Giving treats as you go, as well as doing multiple short sessions and working your way up to longer ones -- you don't have to brush your whole cat in one go. I find that antistatic/detangling spray lightly misted over the section you're working on, both by aiding brushing, and preventing static causing new tangles. Brush choice can definitely be a factor, as well. Some cats don't like harder, rougher brushes, while others don't like silicone. It's a matter of figuring out what works for you and for your cat. I'd suggest staying away from furminators, at least as a primary brush -- it's very easy to remove too much undercoat and damage your cat's fur. They can be good for winter to summer shedding, but generally should be used sparingly, imo :>

Best of luck!

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl largely isn't either, honestly, but a few things help. Giving treats as you go, as well as doing multiple short sessions and working your way up to longer ones -- you don't have to brush your whole cat in one go. I find that antistatic/detangling spray lightly misted over the section you're working on, both by aiding brushing, and preventing static causing new tangles. Brush choice can definitely be a factor, as well. Some cats don't like harder, rougher brushes, while others don't like silicone. It's a matter of figuring out what works for you and for your cat. I'd suggest staying away from furminators, at least as a primary brush -- it's very easy to remove too much undercoat and damage your cat's fur. They can be good for winter to summer shedding, but generally should be used sparingly, imo :>

Best of luck!
Thanks! She's not treat motivated either 😂 literally will only eat her regular dry food and drink water. But I'm trying to do multiple sessions daily at meal times. So far so good!