Hairball

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have adopted an old cat for about 6 months. She is long hair cat and she does hairball 2 or 3 times a week especially immediately after she eats her food at night. I vacuumed and then use carpet spray. I am living in a share apartment so today I received a msg from landlord that the house gets cats vomiting smell and there is her mess in living room ad you should train her!!!! I could not find anything

This makes me so upset cause I always try to keep everything neat and clean.

Do you have any suggestion regard to her hairballs ? I hope I get out of this house as soon as I can

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry your cat is having vomiting issues. However, I'm not sure it sounds like hairball vomiting.

Kinda gross question, but is the vomit tube-like or cylinder shaped, almost looks like poop? That's usually a hairball vomit shape.

Since your cat vomits immediately after eating, that sounds more like vomiting caused by eating too quickly, or possibly a food intolerance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can see the hairball in her vomiting but I can see the food stuff also since sometimes this happens immediately after eating her food. Ad yes she eats so fast :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was she ever a stray? Strays often have "food obsessions" and therefore eat too quickly. Of course, some non-strays also eat quickly too.

Does she eat canned or dry food? If canned, maybe try giving her smaller portions spread out over the day, if possible. If dry, there are feeding dishes you can buy to make it harder to get the kibble, thereby slowing down their eating.

There's a couple tips for fast eaters in the 18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Also, here's a couple older TCS threads on the same topic:
Cat vomits after eating?
Need help for a cat that vomits after eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As far as I know no she was not ever a stray. Ad she eats dry food.
I will try those links and your suggestion.

Thank you rubysmama :)

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be a problem due to fast eating like rubysmama advised. But since she has long hair it is possible that she also has hairball problem. You can try to give her hairball paste, it helps to pass hairballs with stool.
Both making her eat slowly and giving hairball paste regularly will solve the problem I guess.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What carpet spray are you using? You need one specifically to clean up pet messes. Regular ones sold for general use won't help. Go to a pet stores and buy an enzymatic carpet cleaner. Nature's Miracle is one brand Some brands have products specifically for vomit. Follow the label for how to use the product. You may need to repeat the cleaning a few times to completely remove all traces of the vomit / hairball and any lingering smell.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As she is a long haired cat, how often are you brushing her?