Hairball and not eating

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet is 15 years old, and generally does not act his age. He acts like a young cat.

Except this morning. I woke up to the biggest hairball I've ever seen. There was some partially digested food with it too. I also noticed loose stool, diarrhea. His stool's been somewhat wet for a few days, I contributed it to me switching his food. He was on Tiny Tiger, I switched to Fancy Feast to get him to gain weight after hyperthyroid diagnosis (I didn't know Tiny Tiger had Pate with higher calories at the time). Then saw the other food wasn't doing him well with increased hairball and excessive grooming and scratching- I figure an allergy. So I switched back to Tiny Tiger where he had been doing good for many years on. He's been back on Tiny Tiger (this time on Pate) for about 3 weeks now.

Due to switching food, I honestly wasn't entirely alarmed by the extra hairballs. It's also shedding season, the shed is ridiculous on both cats. I brush and furminate them both daily (holy cow all the fur that came out of Monet when he never shedded this bad before- this I also contribute to the Fancy Feast he was on for a month)

Anyway, today he threw up the biggest hairball I've ever seen with a bit of food. There's three puddles of bile too (I don't know if bile happened before or after). and an usually looser wet stool. He didn't even want his breakfast. Not even to investigate. He's loafed up now clearly with an unhappy stomach (though he did walk around). For now I will watch him, he may be feeling bad after that hairball episode.

I am not a vet, but to me his stomach doesn't feel bloated and he didn't protest. I tried giving him the hairball gel and he wouldn't lick it- only shook it off his paw.

Other than keeping an eye on him and hope he eats his dinner tonight, Is there anything I can do in the mean time to make him more comfortable?

Has anyone else have this issue with their cats and if so, what was the verdict? Reading online seems like most people say it was just an upset stomach but I want to hear your experiences as well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure he does have an upset stomach from that hairball incident. Offer him plenty of water and let him rest for now. I give my cats about a teaspoon of butter 2-3 times a week to help pass hairballs. They really like it a lot more than the gel. Butter has almost zero lactose in it, so shouldn't be a problem since most cats are lactose intolerant. I have one cat that gets extremely sick if she gets milk and she is fine with butter. They also have hairball treats that he may like more. If he is still refusing food tomorrow you may have to bring him in to be checked. I pray he gets better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am pretty sure he does have an upset stomach from that hairball incident. Offer him plenty of water and let him rest for now. I give my cats about a teaspoon of butter 2-3 times a week to help pass hairballs. They really like it a lot more than the gel. Butter has almost zero lactose in it, so shouldn't be a problem since most cats are lactose intolerant. I have one cat that gets extremely sick if she gets milk and she is fine with butter. They also have hairball treats that he may like more. If he is still refusing food tomorrow you may have to bring him in to be checked. I pray he gets better!
thank you for the response !
I never thought about butter. Do you melt it or just give it to your cats as a pat? Unsalted butter or salted is fine?
I plan on going to the store to get some pumpkin for him to eat as well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy it in the tub, real butter with oil. I let it soften a bit (they eat it easier) and scoop a teaspoon out on a butter knife, sliding it off the end with my finger.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I buy it in the tub, real butter with oil. I let it soften a bit (they eat it easier) and scoop a teaspoon out on a butter knife, sliding it off the end with my finger.
Thank you, I'll do the same!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
he ate a few bites last night, but no breakfast this morning. I don't see any hairballs anywhere. if he doesn't eat tonight I'll take him to the vet this weekend

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I found pieces of wooden plant decor on the floor. It's thin and sharp, almost like a needle though not as hard. Now I'm sure he ate some of those- really hope it doesn't rupture anything inside him! He ate a few bites of food earlier, nothing this morning. Called the vet and they said to call again in the morning to squeeze him in for an emergency visit tomorrow.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry, but I am glad you found that and are watching him! Make sure you put some of it in a baggie and bring it to show them. I’ll pray he just chewed on it……

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry, but I am glad you found that and are watching him! Make sure you put some of it in a baggie and bring it to show them. I’ll pray he just chewed on it……
I'm glad I saw it too when cleaning. I saved the pieces to show them tomorrow. He did eat a few more bites of food, and drinking water which is a good sign. Acting normally, mostly. Even played a little. He isn't mopey or anything.

I tried to give him the meds that the vet gave me to calm him for his appt (G-something). He won't even lick the treat with it in it. If I can't get it in him, they'd have to sedate him since he's a terror at the vet. Im trying not to stress over the bill!

Really hope he eats all of his breakfast tomorrow and I can relax.